Unemployment at 4-year high

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Unemployment rate hits 4-year high as job losses continue - Aug. 1, 2008

Employers trimmed jobs once again in July and the unemployment rate hit a four-year high, according to a government report Friday that showed the seventh straight month of job losses .

The Labor Department reported a net loss of 51,000 jobs in the month, compared to a revised loss of 51,000 jobs in June. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had been forecasting a loss of 75,000 jobs in the latest report.

The latest report brought job losses this year to 463,000.

i posted on this yesterday and apparently, not something people want to discuss. LOL. Because they can't spin this into a good thing. Or can they? Lets see if you get any bites.

i posted on this yesterday and apparently, not something people want to discuss. LOL. Because they can't spin this into a good thing. Or can they? Lets see if you get any bites.

theyre just lazy or didnt learn useful enough skills

:eusa_angel:

but seriously, i hope people were willing and able to save money in case this happened, and i wish them luck in finding new jobs

I love seeing lefties get all excited because they think there's going to be a big crash....

Okay, once again for the peanut gallery...

The lowest is 4 years....and we're STILL on par with the most productive period of time in US history, the 1950s....when unemployment was at about the same rate.

We are STILL far, FAR below unemployment numbers of our last recession.

We are STILL increasing national product.

We are NOT in a recession. You guys have been insisting for 20 years that we're in a recession. When are you going to figure it out....just because you want one doesn't mean it's going to happen???

Okay, once again for the peanut gallery...

The lowest is 4 years....and we're STILL on par with the most productive period of time in US history, the 1950s....when unemployment was at about the same rate.

We are STILL far, FAR below unemployment numbers of our last recession.

We are STILL increasing national product.

We are NOT in a recession. You guys have been insisting for 20 years that we're in a recession. When are you going to figure it out....just because you want one doesn't mean it's going to happen???

Aha! I love the internet:

Friday's report showing further deterioration in the U.S. job market adds another piece of evidence that economy is headed for — or has already slipped into — a recession. With housing prices plummeting, energy prices soaring and the job market shrinking, this sure feels like a recession to many Americans.

Yet the government reported Thursday that the economy grew at a 1.9 percent clip in the latest quarter, defying the common definition of recession, which is when the economy shrinks for a sustained period.

How is this possible?

Jobs data, GDP stoke debate over recession - Eye on the Economy - MSNBC.com

A lot depends on how you choose to define a recession. It’s clear that some industries like housing and auto manufacturing, and regions like parts of the industrial Midwest, are already in a recession. Families struggling with flat wages and rising prices are also feeling the same effects that they would if the entire economy were moving in reverse.

That spending got a sizable boost after the government handed out $100 billion worth of tax rebate checks.

Told you so!!!

That money provided an artificial — and temporary — lift to consumer spending, which accounts for about 70 percent of GDP.

The current level of consumer angst is also in part due to the result of a longer-term trend of slower growth in personal income, another key piece of the recession puzzle. Though overall GDP continues to grow, the rewards of that growth have been greater for those at the upper end of the economic ladder than for those at the bottom, who are more affected by higher food and energy prices.

Trust me! The one's that think it does not exist will! :lol:

:whip: <--- shucks! I thought that was someone fishing, but it works just as well! :lol:

Is the U.S. economy in a recession? * 451 responses

Yes
70%

No
23%

I have no idea, but my personal economy sure is
7.1%

Trust me, the ones who see things that aren't there are and always have been crazy and stupid.

Is the U.S. economy in a recession? * 451 responses

Yes
70%

No
23%

I have no idea, but my personal economy sure is
7.1%

Ah, an opinion poll.

We all know that opinion and fact are the same thing.

If we all acknowledge that, then I'm going to start debating differently...and simply provide links to my own ramblings as "evidence".

Ah, an opinion poll.

If we all acknowledge that, then I'm going to start debating differently...and simply provide links to my own ramblings as "evidence".

I gave you a link and even provided facts, but you waited to chime in on that survey? That's because CHECKMATE beeeeaaaaaaccccchhhhh!!! Who's the beeeaccchh now???/

Ah, an opinion poll.

Well I notice some of you guys like to create your own little polls. This one was almost 500 people. Apparently, 70% agree with us lefty's on this board.

Which doesn't establish the existence of a recession. It just shows that lefties are stupid and refuse to acknoweldge facts.

Which we all knew already.

Why does the natural tendancy of a business cycle need to be spun good or bad? Are you suggesting people do not understand business cylces and have to blame someone of the inherant nature of the economy. Someone losing their job is not good. Neither is taking pleasure in that someone losing their job can't be spun as a good thing.

Which doesn't establish the existence of a recession. It just shows that lefties are stupid and refuse to acknoweldge facts.

Which we all knew already.

Sometimes we see ourselves in other people....

What facts did I ignore?

Did we ever establish what your native language is?

Forum List

Back