Unemployed Need Not Apply for Job Openings 6/27/2010

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
2010 Unemployment Extension Jobless Woes: Unemployed Need Not Apply

A "Growing Trend" Shows that Companies Are Blatantly Stating in Ads that the Unemployed Need Not Apply for Job Openings
Unemployed need not apply. As strange as those four words might look, not to mention how contradictory they might seem to be, according to CNN Money, they are becoming increasingly common in jobs
listings and help wanted ads. As Congress debates the relative merits of unemployment benefits extensions and hundreds of thousands lose those same unemployment benefits weekly, the number of unemployed, those searching for jobs, and those without income increases, adding their names to the unemployed that in many instances will not be hired. Worse, they need not apply at many job openings. Worse still, knowledge that some businesses are bold enough to post such a requirement of eligibility so openly leads to the leap in logic that there are many more that aren't being as open and who discriminate against the unemployed on a far more subtler level.
Full story: 2010 Unemployment Extension Jobless Woes: Unemployed Need Not Apply - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

What will the unemployed due now that extension benefits were cut, and their still are no jobs, 1. 3 million were cut from benefits. Now every week 200,000 thousand will be cut every week.. what will the outcome be, more homeless more crime, riots ?

And even where companies are more tactful or considerate, the practice of not hiring the unemployed has become institutionalized. Recruiters and human resources departments are relegating the unemployed to a permanent jobless status by not considering them for a job opening simply based on the applicant's jobless state at the point of hiring.

I don't generally wish ill on anyone, but may these son's of bitches find themselves in the unemployment line and very soon.

Immie

The new people to hate , those lazy assed scum who are unemployed and refuse to get a job.

I have been hearing crap like this from the right.

They are begining to attack the unemployed like they caused this mess.

Republicans trying to convince Americans to spew hate and refuse to help their fellow man.

Interesting. I guess from an employer's viewpoint the unemployed could be viewed as losers as layoffs usually affect the non-essential employees the most.

Personally, I'd just lie and say I had taken time off to get more education.

The new people to hate , those lazy assed scum who are unemployed and refuse to get a job.

Republicans trying to convince Americans to spew hate and refuse to help their fellow man.

No one has attacked anyone who has been laid off and is actively looking for work. Where do you dream this shit up at?

2010 Unemployment Extension Jobless Woes: Unemployed Need Not Apply

A "Growing Trend" Shows that Companies Are Blatantly Stating in Ads that the Unemployed Need Not Apply for Job Openings
Unemployed need not apply. As strange as those four words might look, not to mention how contradictory they might seem to be, according to CNN Money, they are becoming increasingly common in jobs
listings and help wanted ads. As Congress debates the relative merits of unemployment benefits extensions and hundreds of thousands lose those same unemployment benefits weekly, the number of unemployed, those searching for jobs, and those without income increases, adding their names to the unemployed that in many instances will not be hired. Worse, they need not apply at many job openings. Worse still, knowledge that some businesses are bold enough to post such a requirement of eligibility so openly leads to the leap in logic that there are many more that aren't being as open and who discriminate against the unemployed on a far more subtler level.
Full story: 2010 Unemployment Extension Jobless Woes: Unemployed Need Not Apply - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

What will the unemployed due now that extension benefits were cut, and their still are no jobs, 1. 3 million were cut from benefits. Now every week 200,000 thousand will be cut every week.. what will the outcome be, more homeless more crime, riots ?

What is the outcome of something like this?

The steady erosion of the QAULITY of life for practically everyone, regardless whether or not they have a job or money.

How does one insulate oneself from a society going down?

Either one runs away from it, or one take refuge behind gated community which end up being little more than pretty prisons for the still affluent.

But the engine that drives it every society is the working class, folks.

Sure the weathy hire the workers, but the wealhy are ONLY wealthy if the workers produce (AND BUY) those goods and services that the wealthy helped organize by dint of having CAPITAL to get it all going..

The irony of this system is that it can BREAK DOWN because of foolish monetary policies like we've been creating for the last nearly 40 years..

Think about it.

Are there enough workers? Yes.

Have the factories and farms all imploded?

No.

Is there some natural catastrophy which can explain the sudden loss of human productivity?

No.

But since we use MONEY as the lubricant (and score card) for productivity, when the money supply gets fucked up (for whatever reason) the machinery of society slows down or grinds to a halt.

A lack of liquid capital (not real wealth, merely the lubrication/scorecard we call capital) has hindered many societies from achiving their REAL potential.

And a sudden infusion of this thing we call capital, can allow that society to blossom, too (if they don't allow it to end up being wasted by inflationary pressure, of course)

This is one of the reasons I cannot sign onto the theory that a monetary system based on metal makes much sense, either, incidently.

Despite the OBVIOUS flaws of the fiat money system we have right now, attempting to reconcile the value of all goods and services (a growing society is capable of producing) against what is basically a static amount of metal is bound to be a drag on real productivity.

More people can produce new good and services than we can find gold or silver to accounting balance against those products.

But if somebody can create a economic model where business can be conducted in a economy that learns to live with CONSTANT DEFLATION, then hell yes, let's go back to a precious metal based monetary system.

It's just that nobody has ever shown me how that society can work.

And even where companies are more tactful or considerate, the practice of not hiring the unemployed has become institutionalized. Recruiters and human resources departments are relegating the unemployed to a permanent jobless status by not considering them for a job opening simply based on the applicant's jobless state at the point of hiring.

I don't generally wish ill on anyone, but may these son's of bitches find themselves in the unemployment line and very soon.

Immie

We need more unemployed in congress.

Immie

Thanks, but I don't want the job. ;)

Although, having some of those in Congress join me on the unemployment line would be satisfying. There is lots of room from what I can see. In fact, by their decision to end the extensions at the worst possible time since the Great Depression, well I suppose the Carter years may have been worse, I understand that 200,000 positions in that line are being opened up every week. Hell yes, there is plenty of room!

Immie

Long term unemployed implies you really aren't looking that hard.

I am going to school. Not quite the same thing.

If your unemployed the good jobs go to the ones holding but looking for more money, the ones possessing less skills will be hired at the lowest price. Smart business.

Immie

Although, having some of those in Congress join me on the unemployment line would be satisfying. There is lots of room from what I can see. In fact, by their decision to end the extensions at the worst possible time since the Great Depression, well I suppose the Carter years may have been worse, I understand that 200,000 positions in that line are being opened up every week. Hell yes, there is plenty of room!

Immie
Well you "suppose" wrong!

The highest UE was during the Carter years was 7.8%, the rate Ford passed on to him. You should have said the REAGAN years, when UE peaked at 10.8% and we had 10 consecutive months of double digit UE during the REAGAN Recession, at the time the worst recession since the Great Depression. CON$ always blame Reagan's economic failure on Carter and give Reagan credit for Clinton's economic success.

Immie

The highest UE was during the Carter years was 7.8%, the rate Ford passed on to him. You should have said the REAGAN years, when UE peaked at 10.8% and we had 10 consecutive months of double digit UE during the REAGAN Recession, at the time the worst recession since the Great Depression. CON$ always blame Reagan's economic failure on Carter and give Reagan credit for Clinton's economic success.

Jimmy Carter vs. Inflation - TIME

As Jimmy Carter stepped before the television cameras in the East Room of the White House last Friday, his task was not just to proclaim another new anti-inflation program but to calm a national alarm that had begun to border on panic. Inflation and interest rates, both topping 18%, are so far beyond anything that Americans have experienced in peacetime—and so far beyond anything that U.S. financial markets are set up to handle—as to inspire a contagion of fear. Usually confident businessmen and bankers have begun talking of Latin American-style hyperinflation, financial collapse, major bankruptcies, a drastic drop in the American standard of living.

Well, seeing as how the unemployment rates are not the only concern, I believe that I am correct in this. The inflation rates, and if I remember correctly interest rates, were astronomical during Carter's term.

And for the record, I liked Carter and still do.

Unlike most people here, I don't blame the Presidents for the economy during their terms or even after their terms. I understand and admit that their policies can and do influence economic conditions but those influences are not the sole reasons for any boon or collapse. Things happen and may have happened, even decades ago that lead to what is happening today. The collapse of the housing market did not happen only because of the Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac issue there were other conditions that lead to the collapse and eventually, the housing market will correct itself.

So, I stand by my statement that things may have been worse during the Carter years and the way I see it, the Reagan years weren't so bad. I don't remember waiting hours upon hours in line for gasoline during the Reagan years, but I darn sure remember waiting in those lines during the Carter years... by the way, the way I remember that time, is that the reason we waited in those lines was because we were told that we were running out of gasoline. I have not cared or thought about going back to see what role President Carter had in that scare, so, I don't lay the blame at his feet on that either.

The current recession we are in, doesn't even come close to reminding me of the years we suffered through during the Carter years. Others will have to analyze why that is the case and I believe it will take some time to look back and see how President Obama's policies have in fact helped and/or hindered the economy.

Immie

Immie

Jimmy Carter vs. Inflation - TIME

As Jimmy Carter stepped before the television cameras in the East Room of the White House last Friday, his task was not just to proclaim another new anti-inflation program but to calm a national alarm that had begun to border on panic. Inflation and interest rates, both topping 18%, are so far beyond anything that Americans have experienced in peacetime—and so far beyond anything that U.S. financial markets are set up to handle—as to inspire a contagion of fear. Usually confident businessmen and bankers have begun talking of Latin American-style hyperinflation, financial collapse, major bankruptcies, a drastic drop in the American standard of living.

Well, seeing as how the unemployment rates are not the only concern, I believe that I am correct in this. The inflation rates, and if I remember correctly interest rates, were astronomical during Carter's term.

And for the record, I liked Carter and still do.

Unlike most people here, I don't blame the Presidents for the economy during their terms or even after their terms. I understand and admit that their policies can and do influence economic conditions but those influences are not the sole reasons for any boon or collapse. Things happen and may have happened, even decades ago that lead to what is happening today. The collapse of the housing market did not happen only because of the Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac issue there were other conditions that lead to the collapse and eventually, the housing market will correct itself.

So, I stand by my statement that things may have been worse during the Carter years and the way I see it, the Reagan years weren't so bad. I don't remember waiting hours upon hours in line for gasoline during the Reagan years, but I darn sure remember waiting in those lines during the Carter years... by the way, the way I remember that time, is that the reason we waited in those lines was because we were told that we were running out of gasoline. I have not cared or thought about going back to see what role President Carter had in that scare, so, I don't lay the blame at his feet on that either.

The current recession we are in, doesn't even come close to reminding me of the years we suffered through during the Carter years. Others will have to analyze why that is the case and I believe it will take some time to look back and see how President Obama's policies have in fact helped and/or hindered the economy.

Immie
I notice how you shifted UNEMPLOYMENT, the topic of this thread, to everything else but unemployment. I will take that as Reagan was much worse than Carter on unemployment.

As far as inflation, Carter inherited that from Nixon/Ford also. If you remember, it was Nixon's FED chairman Arthur Burns who manipulated the money supply to get Nixon reelected in 1972 that gave us the out of control inflation. Ford's fix was WIN (Whip inflation Now) buttons. BRILLIANT!!! Remember??? It was Carter who appointed Volker as FED chairman who is credited with beating inflation. It was Reagan who rewarded him by firing him and appointing Greenspan.

The gas lines were due to the oil monopoly manipulating the supply, which they still do today, so Reagan changed nothing except raising the gas tax.

The collapse of the housing market belongs to Bush's 2003 American Dream Downpaymnent Initiative, ADDI, which changed the rules and forced the FHA to make loans for more than the property was worth with no down payment to people with low income and bad credit who could never make the payments in order to win votes in the 2004 election. If you remember, it was the centerpiece of his 2004 campaign.

The worst thing about the Carter years was the inconvenience of getting gas, but at least I had a job. I lost my job under Reagan and waiting on the unemployment line was much worse than waiting on a gas line. I had plenty of work during the Clinton years but under Bush II my hours of work were steadily declining right up to my retirement. It's my experience that the economy really sucks under GOP presidents.

win_button.jpg

Last edited:

The simple truth of the matter is that most unemployed are that way because they are too lazy to work. Since this is clearly an indication of defective DNA, the only logical recourse is for us to sterlize all people who are of breeding age who file for unemployment. People on the dole are just lazy.

[
I notice how you shifted UNEMPLOYMENT, ..... worse than Carter on unemployment.

.... BRILLIANT!!! Remember??? It was Carter who appointed Volker ....

The worst thing about the Carter years was the inconvenience

Nail Head! Yep Carter that scumbag from hell was the worst president in American history. Now it appears that Obama is trying for that title. Carter beat out Kennedy as the least effective president inside of three years of being elected. After four years, the whole nation was screaming for Carter's head.

My guess is that they will be screaming for Obama's head within two complete years of his presidency. Man what a fuck up he has turned out to be!

Kennedy, Carter and Obama. The three worst presidents in American history.

Blame the victim. Common in right wing rhetoric.

Carter averaged 3.4% GDP and 6.5% unemployment, Obama would give a finger about right now for those numbers.
90% are still working, all we need is a couple good months of economic data and Obama's attacks to tail off.

Carter averaged 3.4% GDP and 6.5% unemployment, Obama would give a finger about right now for those numbers.
90% are still working, all we need is a couple good months of economic data and Obama's attacks to tail off.

Need to know what you mean by "give a finger" before I can comment on this. Do you mean like the saying, "Give his right arm?"

I'm looking forward to those couple of good months.

Immie

Last edited:

Unless there's some new American industry on the horizon that's going to spawn millions of new jobs, 10% unemployment is going to be the new norm.

Unless there's some new American industry on the horizon that's going to spawn millions of new jobs, 10% unemployment is going to be the new norm.

10% has probably been the norm for quite some time.

20 or 25% (that will be reported at 10 or 12%) is likely to be the new norm.

First they sent away all the factory jobs, but I was not a factory worker, so I did not complain...

Forum List

Back