Undocumented workers got billions from IRS in tax credits

Not for child tax credit...the article can say what it wants..the law says other wise..a child tax credit only reduces overall tax.

Ten Facts about the Child Tax Credit

With the Child Tax Credit, you may be able to reduce your federal income tax by up to $1,000 for each qualifying child under the age of 17.

they also conveniently left this out..which means the qualifying child had to be LEGALLY in the country.

Citizenship Test - To meet the citizenship test, the child must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien.

The IRS report states that refundable tax credits such as EITC and ACTC can result in a refunds even if no income tax is witheld or paid.

The IRS report states that refundable tax credits such as EITC and ACTC can result in a refunds even if no income tax is witheld or paid.

I saw a report tonight on TV and the reporter said that refunds not tax credits were given out
and the IRS didn't have the resources to check this out and people here illegally who didn't make enough to pay taxes were able to get refunds....I'm sorry this is the story I'm hearing
from two different sources.

Right, but they're using the ACTC which according to the IRS audit is a refundable tax credit just like EITC. Which according to the IRS audit can result in illegals to get a refund even if no income tax was withheld, because the creidit can exceed the tax liability. So some illegals are not only not paying any federal income taxes but are actually getting a check as well, courtesy of the Americans who actually pay their taxes.

Last edited:
If you are referring to Child tax credit no it is not refundable..I just gave you the link straight to the IRS website..it is only a reduction not a refund and you have to have paid a minimum tax to get it as well as under a maximum rate.

and again they only get a refund of taxes paid if they earn under a certain income...social security is never refunded though and a lot of times it is difficult to get state tax refunded as well and they don't qualify for EITC which is the ONLY thing that you can apply for even if no income. Someone did a sorry audit if that is what they found.

If we allow them to pay taxes, I suppose they ought to be eligible for tax credits.

As I understand the story...the illegals don't have a social security # they have a # given to them from the IRS..They don't earn enough to pay taxes but they have a bunch of kids so they get a refund based on that.They get a tax refund based on how many kids they have.

And the Libs love this shit.The only thing that pisses the Libs off is the fact that they haven't been able to take ALL the money away from the wealthy to give it all to these folks.

I bet there is not one lefty on this board that has a problem with these folks getting refunds.

Why would you make sweeping generalizations like that? Do you REALLY want to bet genuine money that there are no self described liberals who would take issue with illegals getting back more than they pay in?

Saying shit like that kills whatever point there may have been in your post and makes it feel like 3rd grade recess around here. It's annoying.

I saw a report tonight on TV and the reporter said that refunds not tax credits were given out
and the IRS didn't have the resources to check this out and people here illegally who didn't make enough to pay taxes were able to get refunds....I'm sorry this is the story I'm hearing
from two different sources.

Not to mention that it kind of doesn't matter what string of letters you call it - people not authorized to work in America should NOT be getting checks from treasury.

and again they only get a refund of taxes paid if they earn under a certain income...social security is never refunded though and a lot of times it is difficult to get state tax refunded as well and they don't qualify for EITC which is the ONLY thing that you can apply for even if no income. Someone did a sorry audit if that is what they found.

If the Child Tax Credit exceeds the tax liability then a taxpayer can still get a refund with the Additional Child Tax Credit. The income limits for it are $3,000 to $55,000 (75,000 filing HOH or $110,000 married/jointly), which covers the vast majority of illegals. The CTC for each qualifying child is $1,000 and if you have 3 or more qualifying children I think you could also get a additional child tax credit up to the amount of SS taxes you paid as well. Illegals can pay 0 federal income taxes and still get a refund.

which covers the vast majority of illegals.

And your proof that covers the vast majority of illegal immigrants? In fact, that actually probably covers about 90% of the US.

If we allow them to pay taxes, I suppose they ought to be eligible for tax credits.

Most likely there in the bottom 50% that don't pay taxes let along get welfare for anchor babies and to qualify for in state tuition; all at taxpayers expense.

The solution here is obvious.

Make the assholes who hired these guys pay for the credits. Then send them to jail for dicking over their countrymen and taking advantage of the weak.

Well no one force the illegals to cross our borders. They came across on their own free will.

How did you get to Texas by the way. I doubt it took you that long to be legal. Once you start wanting to bring in the whole family is where you run into time consuming paperwork. Their are rules and regs to everything. Their are limitations on the number of visa's the government can issue during a given year, and the waiting list is long. In my own opinion, I think the number of H1's need to be cut way back. And BTW, you can get a temporary work permit to work in the USA ie Migrant workers. This allows them to come help harvest those rotting veggies, make some good money, and then go back home.

How did you get to Texas by the way. I doubt it took you that long to be legal. Once you start wanting to bring in the whole family is where you run into time consuming paperwork. Their are rules and regs to everything. Their are limitations on the number of visa's the government can issue during a given year, and the waiting list is long. In my own opinion, I think the number of H1's need to be cut way back. And BTW, you can get a temporary work permit to work in the USA ie Migrant workers. This allows them to come help harvest those rotting veggies, make some good money, and then go back home.

Who are you speaking to? If it is me..the way I got into Texas was I was born at the hospital in Dallas.

The dependent must be a U.S. citizen or resident who are under age 17 at the end of the tax year.
You can claim your child, stepchild, adopted child, grandchild or great-grandchild. You may also be able to claim foster children if they were placed with you by a court or other authorized agency. The child must also live with you for more than half the year in which you’re trying to claim the credit. The dependent also must not provide more than half of their own support, which is typically only an issue for older dependents.

Born to citizens or illegal immigrants, yes to you. Your the only one that seems the USA should let anyone into the country that wants to come here.

Forum List

Back