Understanding white privilege

You didn't have to stoop to name calling. I was just pointing out my honest opinion about the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I've always wondered why everyone talks about slavery and how it affects them now in the U.S. with the way everyone has tried(obviously not everyone) to move on and make their lives and others better. Sure, I could sit hear and bitch about my roman ancestors and how they may or may not have been put into slavery in those days hundreds of years ago and how that may affect me now, but I don't because the past is the past. Also, if african slave owners selling slaves to white men has nothing to do with what happened eventually when the U.S. began slavery then let me ask this. Did those slave owners beleive the white men were going to take those slaves and put them on a pedestal and treat them with high respect and courtesy? I think not. That's because there were ALREADY slaves to begin with. Anyway, these are just my own thoughts. Talk soon, see ya

In case you still didn't get it, the social order that exists today in America with whites on top in a privileged position has its origins during the times of slavery. If whites don't pull the wool off their eyes and see this and how it affects the everyday lives of blacks and themselves they will forever have opinions like yours.

You didn't have to stoop to name calling. I was just pointing out my honest opinion about the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I've always wondered why everyone talks about slavery and how it affects them now in the U.S. with the way everyone has tried(obviously not everyone) to move on and make their lives and others better. Sure, I could sit hear and bitch about my roman ancestors and how they may or may not have been put into slavery in those days hundreds of years ago and how that may affect me now, but I don't because the past is the past. Also, if african slave owners selling slaves to white men has nothing to do with what happened eventually when the U.S. began slavery then let me ask this. Did those slave owners beleive the white men were going to take those slaves and put them on a pedestal and treat them with high respect and courtesy? I think not. That's because there were ALREADY slaves to begin with. Anyway, these are just my own thoughts. Talk soon, see ya

In case you still didn't get it, the social order that exists today in America with whites on top in a privileged position has its origins during the times of slavery. If whites don't pull the wool off their eyes and see this and how it affects the everyday lives of blacks and themselves they will forever have opinions like yours.

This is my last post on this message board. I was just passing through. I've already heard enough that it just doesn't make sense to me. I am not racist and never will be. I just enjoy debating causes and problems that people have with our society today. I am a white male and I do enjoy everyday of my life as I beleive everyone and every race should. I hope everyone on this message board gets what they want out of life and can help others as much as possible. There is one thing I'll never understand, and that's how people try to live in the past and try to blame todays problems(2009) on how things are today. You can try and go back and figure out how things may have caused our problems today, although doing so will never EVER bring peace in one's mind. You have to look at where we are today, and how we can move forward and enjoy our country and try to improve it one day at a time. Thanks for hearing and replying to my posts. Best wishes to everyone. See ya.

you know bass a lot of peoples parents grandparents etc immigrated here from all kinds of places and all kinds of injustices of elitism and classism...which is the real enemy...you cant compare the average white boy ..son of a coal minor etc.. to a connected group of blue bloods and their handpicked corporate elite that happen to be predominantly white...big deal..we are all in the trenches together here from where stand...

Last edited:

I'm wondering why the reluctance to address my posts Charlie? Hit a little close to home? Or you just don't "get it"?

Here's another for you.

Number of Black Male Teachers Belies Their Influence
Saturday, July 4, 2009

Tynita Johnson had attended predominantly black schools in Prince George's County for 10 years when she walked into Will Thomas's AP government class last August and found something she had never seen.

"I was kind of shocked," said Tynita, 15, of Upper Marlboro. "I have never had a black male teacher before, except for P.E."

Tynita's experience is remarkably common. Only 2 percent of the nation's 4.8 million teachers are black men, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In fact, Thomas, a social studies teacher at Dr. Henry A. Wise Jr. High School, never had a black teacher himself.

"I love teaching, and I feel like I am needed," said Thomas, 33, of Bowie. "We need black male teachers in our classrooms because that is the closest connection we are able to make to children. It is critical for all students to see black men in the classrooms involved in trying to make sure they learn and enjoy being in school."

The shortage of black male teachers compounds the difficulties that many African American boys face in school. About half of black male students do not complete high school in four years, statistics show. Black males also tend to score lower on standardized tests, take fewer Advanced Placement courses and are suspended and expelled at higher rates than other groups, officials said.

Educators said black male teachers expose students to black men as authority figures, help minority students feel that they belong, motivate black students to achieve, demonstrate positive male-female relationships to black girls and provide African American youths with role models and mentors.

"There are two axes in most American classrooms: a female axis and an Anglo cultural axis," said Janice Hale, director of the Institute for the Study of the African American Child at Detroit's Wayne State University. White girls fare best because they belong to both groups. White boys and black girls fit into one. "But black boys can't get under the female or the cultural banner," she said.

Howard University Provost Alvin Thornton, a former Prince George's school board member who conceived a black male achievement program for students 15 years ago, said students who don't see teachers who resemble themselves "grow up to think they don't contribute to knowledge."

"I think it is necessary that students be exposed to a knowledge transfer system that is diverse in terms of those who are transferring the knowledge," he said. "And that diversity should look much like the community."

Black males also leave teaching at a higher rate than their colleagues, according to a 2003 study by the National Education Association, a national teacher's union. Half of black males leave the profession before retirement, compared with 30 percent of all teachers.

"There was a time when teaching was almost the only profession that African Americans could get into that would give them recognition, respect and a little salary," said Reginald Weaver, a former NEA president. "As other areas of employment have opened up, many minorities entered into those."

cont'd

washingtonpost.com

"University of Connecticut professor Jack Dovidio, who has researched racism for more than 30 years, estimates up to 80 percent of white Americans have racist feelings they may not even recognize.

"We've reached a point that racism is like a virus that has mutated into a new form that we don't recognize," Dovidio said.

He added that 21st-century racism is different from that of the past.

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations."

Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others - CNN.com
Race Relations - By Category

White previlege exists, of course.

But what happens is that Whites tend to discount its value because they don't know what it's like not to have it, and Blacks tend to overvalue its benefit because they don't know what it's like to have it.

Per usual, I will remind you all that two out of threee POOR people in the USA are White.

So much for THEIR WHITE previlege eh?

That's because there are so many other factors that effect outcomes other than race.

Class being the most obvious factor that effects opportunity for most of us.

Doubt that, do you?

Okay, who do you think has a better shot of making it in America?

The BLACK children of Bill Cosby or my WHITE children?

"University of Connecticut professor Jack Dovidio, who has researched racism for more than 30 years, estimates up to 80 percent of white Americans have racist feelings they may not even recognize.

"We've reached a point that racism is like a virus that has mutated into a new form that we don't recognize," Dovidio said.

He added that 21st-century racism is different from that of the past.

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations."

Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others - CNN.com
Race Relations - By Category

Here's a not so stealth opinion of that: F**k his estimate.

The subject of race is so over-hyped -- by the media, by our elected officials, even by people like you -- there's little wonder people think they see it all around them.

What none of those "hypers" see is the day-to-day operations of the lives of 10% of Americans, much less 80 or 100%. If they were flies on the wall, what they would observe IN MOST CASES is people treating each other like people -- some they like, some they don't Which has NOTHING to do with race or skin color.

Equal Opportunity for earning respect and trust.

Ok Chuckie. You want to know the deep dark secrets of the "white" man. You feel like you are on the outside looking in? The jews have the same problem.

I can't speak for all white guys n gals but here it is plain and simple. Rent the movie Brave Heart. The short answer is none of my ancient relatives were taken as slaves. Not that the Irish were not a pain in the ass to all thier enemies but your anscestors allowed themselves to be taken ...Yes allowed. At the point in africa where you are "being taken" as a slave you are supposed to stand up like a "white" man and fight to the death.

The jews have thier cattle cars where the "stand" had to happen and didn't. Same evidence against the jews.

You want in the club but I look at you and see someone that cannot be trusted. You have it in your heredity to fold under preasure and become whatever someone with a little more power than you demands. You envy the wrong things. You prize the stuff..we prize what cannot be bought...or sold.

When you understand what I offer as the good advice it was intended then you will shut the fuck up and not ask for another mutherfucking thing from anyone who is not your friend.

Ok Chuckie. You want to know the deep dark secrets of the "white" man. You feel like you are on the outside looking in? The jews have the same problem.

I can't speak for all white guys n gals but here it is plain and simple. Rent the movie Brave Heart. The short answer is none of my ancient relatives were taken as slaves. Not that the Irish were not a pain in the ass to all thier enemies but your anscestors allowed themselves to be taken ...Yes allowed. At the point in africa where you are "being taken" as a slave you are supposed to stand up like a "white" man and fight to the death.

The jews have thier cattle cars where the "stand" had to happen and didn't. Same evidence against the jews.

You want in the club but I look at you and see someone that cannot be trusted. You have it in your heredity to fold under preasure and become whatever someone with a little more power than you demands. You envy the wrong things. You prize the stuff..we prize what cannot be bought...or sold.

When you understand what I offer as the good advice it was intended then you will shut the fuck up and not ask for another mutherfucking thing from anyone who is not your friend.

Huggy, your incessant trolling is becoming a nuisance, you need to really get yourself checked out because you've done a ton of talking and haven't made any point whatsoever, in other words you're just typing in words for the hell of it to avoid the truth about the obvious. When are you monkeys ever going to realize that your race and being white in itself is not the reason whites are on top?

Huggy, your incessant trolling is becoming a nuisance, you need to really get yourself checked out because you've done a ton of talking and haven't made any point whatsoever, in other words you're just typing in words for the hell of it to avoid the truth about the obvious. When are you monkeys ever going to realize that your race and being white in itself is not the reason whites are on top?

you've done a ton of talking and haven't made any point whatsoever

Fair enough. I've wasted my time and yours. Just because you did not understand makes it no less of a point. My statement was the WHOLE point. You cannot be trusted.

If you do not like the point that does not make it untrue.

No amount of bullshit on your part will draw us together. All you have to do is prove you can be trusted. I doubt you can.

Q. You may ask why I voted for B.O.
A. He did not come from slave mentality.

I can tell that you come from a slave mentality. You want the world to accept a slaves mentality. Piss on you.

Yeah, white men only 36% of the population yet they hold almost 95% of the senior executive positions and leadership positions in America, thats equality right? Their being white and male has a lot to do with it.

Ever stop to think that is because they actually got out and WORKED to obtain these positions? That they put themselves at a level to qualify for them?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In case you still didn't get it, the social order that exists today in America with whites on top in a privileged position has its origins during the times of slavery. If whites don't pull the wool off their eyes and see this and how it affects the everyday lives of blacks and themselves they will forever have opinions like yours."

Maybe if you stop living the Willie Lynch syndrome and actually accept personal responsibility for YOUR life you might succeed at something. This perpetual victimhood you seem to thrive on only serves to make YOU look the lesser person here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"White previlege exists, of course."

"But what happens is that Whites tend to discount its value because they don't know what it's like not to have it"

Maybe YOU should go talk to some of the folks in the Appalachias or any other poor white section in any city USA and ask them about this white priveledge you seem to think ALL whites have. Sorry, I've worked my ass off to have what I have. NO ONE freakin gave it to me. There was no priveledge involved. And guess what pumpkin...I'm a white female. The most overlooked, discriminated against, minority in this freakin country.

What role did the negro play in pushing the native americans out of thier land?

There are winners and there are losers. Most slaves were sold to whites by thier own kind.

Chuckie...if you hate being black so much ..do a michael jackson.

White people...the good ones, the bad ones...the indifferent ones...are not responsible for your happiness or comfort.

All this boo hooing just makes you look like a weak ass punk.

Forum List

Back