Understanding the illegals' experience

'Shouldn't people be free to move wherever they see fit?'

Sure they can - as long as they respect the sovereignty of that country and do it through the front door AFTER they knock! If you see fit to move in to MY house, should I allow it? Do I not have the freedom to refuse you?

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Yeah.. Lift my lamp beside the golden DOOR. Not the jimmied back window.

Shouldn't people be free to move wherever they see fit?
I want to move in your house for free.

make sure he pays for your education and medical care,, oh and btw,, make sure he gives you a little spending money.. get tuition breaks in the state college... and make sure he lets you fly your flag above his... no,, better yet,, burn his flag.. :lol::lol::lol:

Shouldn't people be free to move wherever they see fit?
I want to move in your house for free.

make sure he pays for your education and medical care,, oh and btw,, make sure he gives you a little spending money.. get tuition breaks in the state college... and make sure he lets you fly your flag above his... no,, better yet,, burn his flag.. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure that if somebody broke into my house and washed the dishes for a few days running that would make me all of the sudden want to give them a bed in my house.
Oh wait, no it wouldn't.

I understand, all right. Ya, now who's up for a good stiff shot of..."Living with illegals aliens: Suffering in silence, the true story behind the myth of illegal aliens"? Nobody. God forbid all those insular wealthy classist Anglos hear the freekin' truth about illegals. Nobody wants the truth about THAT, just positive sh*t about how much those POOR POOR illegals suffer. Cry me a river, all the A-holes that support illegals, they must be well meaning liberal wealthy Caucasians, that don't have to live with the mother f-ers. Well, it must be nice, like living in Never-never land. Well, most of us don't have that option, they are shoved down our throats, like it or not. Is that Democracy? Not by my lights, it isn't. It's isn't good for America, and they aren't good for the economy, judging by the way things are going. So, what new excuse do they get now? Oh look at California. Offers Illegals sanctuary, and damn if the state isn't going bankrupt. And how many taxpayers are leaving the state under the burden of ...all those good intentions gone awry? One of them was my brother, he couldn't make it there anymore. California uber ales!

If one is an ILLEGAL immigrant, they should be deported pronto. Nothing else to it.

My great grandparents did it all legal like, same with millions of other families.

What has changed that these poor misunderstood and abused illegals cant do the same damn thing?

NOTHING

If one is an ILLEGAL immigrant, they should be deported pronto. Nothing else to it.

My great grandparents did it all legal like, same with millions of other families.

What has changed that these poor misunderstood and abused illegals cant do the same damn thing?

NOTHING
Bleeding heart morons like the aforementioned Mr Foxx is what has changed.

NOTHING

Oh thats right.

Because we're the "Land of Plenty" we have a moral obligation to bring the rest of the world up to our standards.

How silly of me to forget.

NOTHING

Oh thats right.

Because we're the "Land of Plenty" we have a moral obligation to bring the rest of the world up to our standards.

How silly of me to forget.

Or lower ourselves to their standards. :eusa_whistle:

Hey Mr Foxx, how about if you had the perspective that they are illegal aliens. They are breaking the law you damn dumbass.

Criminal action does not necessarily constitute a moral transgression. The examples of Harriet Tubman, Claudette Colvin, and Rosa Parks should illustrate that, for instance. I don't presume to equate individual acts of emigration with forms of slave liberation or civil disobedience, of course, but I will maintain that there is ethical wrongness in attempting to prevent immigration.

Immigration to the US is available. There are legal and illegal means of doing it. The article I posted was about experiencing the illegal method, and trying to garner sympathy for law breakers. What part of that did you not understand?

It's inaccurate to insinuate that there's some establishment of equal opportunity to legally emigrate. That some would choose to pay smugglers for illegal transportation through dangerous and unfamiliar desert terrain should illustrate the blatant inaccuracy of that insinuation.

Oh he understands all of it. he's telling you you don't have a right to a country with borders and laws.. so kiss that old mantra "we are a country with rules of law" goodbye.. now knowing democwats this will all change if suddenly 30 million AMericans sashayed down to Mexico and took over all their social welfare benefits (if they even have any.)

Illegal immigration is causatively linked to international wage differentials, themselves caused by trade liberalization. What reason would there be for widespread American immigration to Mexico?

Do any of you bozos live by the border? Are you even aware of what it does to any country when there is uncontrolled migration??? I think not.]B]

I don't believe "uncontrolled" migration has been advocated in this thread.

Mere crudity. The myth of illegal immigrant depletion of social services is not supported by the empirical literature, but is parroted as a partisan talking point nonetheless because it continues to function as a necessary component of rightist political ideology regardless of its inaccuracy. A specific empirical source suitable for consultation would be Lipman's Taxing Undocumented Immigrants: Separate, Unequal and Without Representation. Consider the abstract:

Americans believe that undocumented immigrants are exploiting the United States' economy. The widespread belief is that illegal aliens cost more in government services than they contribute to the economy. This belief is undeniably false. [E]very empirical study of illegals' economic impact demonstrates the opposite . . .: undocumenteds actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they cost in social services. Moreover, undocumented immigrants contribute to the U.S. economy through their investments and consumption of goods and services; filling of millions of essential worker positions resulting in subsidiary job creation, increased productivity and lower costs of goods and services; and unrequited contributions to Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance programs. Eighty-five percent of eminent economists surveyed have concluded that undocumented immigrants have had a positive (seventy-four percent) or neutral (eleven percent) impact on the U.S. economy.

You'll of course understand that rational analysis necessitates consultation of the empirical literature...unless you're among those rightists with open contempt for the scientific process, a crowd that seems alarmingly prevalent nowadays.

I'm sure that if somebody broke into my house and washed the dishes for a few days running that would make me all of the sudden want to give them a bed in my house.
Oh wait, no it wouldn't.

A fallacious example. The use of that analogy is equivalent to interactions between individual illegal immigrants and individual economic agents in the U.S., and is thus fallacious since these individual economic agents enter into consensual interactions with immigrants.

NOTHING

They probably are doing the same thing. The establishment of extensive immigration and residence certification is a fairly recent development (though non-whites always did have further obstacles placed in their way), and early immigrants thus merely made arrangements to journey to the U.S. and successfully completed the journey, effectively unencumbered by certification requirements, just as modern illegal immigrants do. I believe approximately 1% of arriving immigrants at Ellis Island were rejected, if not less.

The United States of America's amazing economy (even now despite this meltdown) cannot be the engine of positive change in the third world if, by allowing illegal immigrants to overwhelm out society, we destroy the REAL ENGINE which made this nation so great to begin with-- the middle class.

And as far as I can tell, illegal immigrants (and FREE TRADE) are two things which are destroying the American working classes ability to make a viable living.

Of course nobody with a heart can really blame illegals for wanting to get to this land.

But allowing tens of millions of illegal to overwhelm our society is simply bad policy.

Understanding the illegals' experience | CharlotteObserver.com
Understanding the illegals' experience
By Franco Ordoñez
[email protected]
Posted: Saturday, May. 23, 2009

Nearly two dozen residents, including mayoral candidate Anthony Foxx, participated in a pilot event Thursday night designed to simulate the illegal immigrant experience.

The role playing event, conducted at the Quaker Meeting House in North Charlotte, seeks to give non-Latinos a better understanding of why rural Mexicans migrate to the United States and the challenges they face here.

Denise Alvarez, an English as second language teacher, played a human smuggler capitalizing on the desperation of poor campesinos.

Bob Morgan, 39, a Charlotte graphic designer, played the role of a bean picker who felt forced to cross the border illegally to support his family.

“It's one thing to hear something on a news report,” he said. “It's another to try and experience what these people are going through to get here.”

Lori Fernald Khamala, director of the N.C. immigrant rights program at the American Friends Service Committee, hosted the event. She said the goal is to bring the program to other churches, schools and other organizations.

Charlotte City Councilman Foxx said city leaders, even those who may not agree with message, could learn from the program.

“The way the simulation is set up, you see that people really have to want to get here,” he said. “People on all sides of this issue should be willing to see it from this perspective.”
Hey Mr Foxx, how about if you had the perspective that they are illegal aliens. They are breaking the law you damn dumbass.
Wow, Quakers have compassion, who would have thunk? Isn't your post a bit bigoted...

This song is dedicated from editec of the present to editec of the future.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoQVaQGXmM&feature=related]YouTube - The Beatles Good Night RARE VIDEO[/ame]

After all if I don't love that guy I must inevitqably become, who on earth will?

I mean that when those news about France showed cars on fire and immigrant riots, what made those immigrants do that (even though their actions were unjustified) was new government regulation to restrict immigrants freedom and rights simply because they were immigrants.

Were they illegal immigrants?

I do not know. What does it matter? Why is there a need for government to catalog who comes from where and why? Shouldn't people be free to move wherever they see fit? If you're arguing on the basis that they will be enjoying resources such as taxes and hospitals and etc then fine, they can pay taxes as well, it doesnt mean they should restrict how many go by the border

So, if 4 billion people want to come to America, we should open our doors to them?

Forum List

Back