Understanding Men

Shattered said:
Trust me - it's all your age. People DO grow up...

Oh, thank God. I've just seen so much of that crap. It's like one big game, but the guys didn't know the rules. Then, it gets prepetuated by Hollywood, and I just saw no forseeable end except by finding one of those 'exception that proves the rule' relationships. I guess it just is my age, but I swear, the 'typical' relationship I see at this age isn't a happy one. About the only ones I saw that seemed pleasant to me were ones where the two people were good friends beforehand and knew each other well, which is why I'm pretty much taking the same approach.

This, of course, goes back to another reason I don't like Hollywood. My parents did my best to dispell the illusions set up by Hollywood, but enough people buy into it that it didn't realy work.

On a side note, y'all are great. Last time I shoved my foot in my mouth so hard, all I said was that I didn't think women's fashion was modest enough (the good looking ones are moral stumbling blocks for people like me who think sex before marriage is wrong, and I won't even start on the, uh, how should I put this, less than hot ones) and had to stop posting on the message board to keep from being called a chauvanist because my idea of decency is apparantly oppressive. Here, it's an initial (well-deserved) dressing down, followed by forgiveness, then reassurance, then back to normal. You have to be a real ass to not be forgiven by this bunch. *hugs all around*

Shattered said:
No, but we can play the process of elimination game. :D

See, now she is being evasive... Fits the profile!

:banana:

(She just doesn't want to admit that she's thinking about me...)

:funnyface

Hobbit said:
Oh, thank God. I've just seen so much of that crap. It's like one big game, but the guys didn't know the rules. Then, it gets prepetuated by Hollywood, and I just saw no forseeable end except by finding one of those 'exception that proves the rule' relationships. I guess it just is my age, but I swear, the 'typical' relationship I see at this age isn't a happy one. About the only ones I saw that seemed pleasant to me were ones where the two people were good friends beforehand and knew each other well, which is why I'm pretty much taking the same approach.

This, of course, goes back to another reason I don't like Hollywood. My parents did my best to dispell the illusions set up by Hollywood, but enough people buy into it that it didn't realy work.

On a side note, y'all are great. Last time I shoved my foot in my mouth so hard, all I said was that I didn't think women's fashion was modest enough (the good looking ones are moral stumbling blocks for people like me who think sex before marriage is wrong, and I won't even start on the, uh, how should I put this, less than hot ones) and had to stop posting on the message board to keep from being called a chauvanist because my idea of decency is apparantly oppressive. Here, it's an initial (well-deserved) dressing down, followed by forgiveness, then reassurance, then back to normal. You have to be a real ass to not be forgiven by this bunch. *hugs all around*

A quick something for you to think about...when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex.

Novel idea....some have tried....and have failed at first...but...with time...it pays off.

Ready.

Be yourself.

Forget the books..the games...forget all the B.S.

If they don't like you for the true you...then it's their loss.

Not yours.

Because when that one comes along..that makes your heart skip a beat..that the only thing you want to do is breath the same air she does...and she feels the same....

My oh my.

I guess it just is my age, but I swear, the 'typical' relationship I see at this age isn't a happy one.

Then make it a point to stand out, and not be part of the profile you're describing. (And stop hating Valentine's Day, for starters - with a few exceptions, girls LIKE it, and a little bit of thought can get you some major brownie points)...

no1tovote4 said:
See, now she is being evasive... Fits the profile!

:banana:

(She just doesn't want to admit that she's thinking about me...)

:funnyface

Maybe she is multi-tasking....Hobbit could be right...she has a list.....

GotZoom said:
Maybe she is multi-tasking....Hobbit could be right...she has a list.....

Oh, I have a list alright, but it doesn't include multiple males...just one...with multiple possibilities...

GotZoom said:
A quick something for you to think about...when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex.

Novel idea....some have tried....and have failed at first...but...with time...it pays off.

Ready.

Be yourself.

Forget the books..the games...forget all the B.S.

If they don't like you for the true you...then it's their loss.

Not yours.

Because when that one comes along..that makes your heart skip a beat..that the only thing you want to do is breath the same air she does...and she feels the same....

My oh my.

Yeah, I get that. I really do. I promise. I just rarely see somebody else my age who gets it. Ever hear that perception is reality? Living on a college campus is not good for reality. I have several friends who are never not in a shallow, empty relationship because they think that's how it's done. I have several others who got burned by a couple of those and just don't want back in the dating game, or at least not yet. I have friends who read and believe these books. It's depressing.

Think of it this way. I've been getting spoon fed all kinds of bullcrap that flies around college campus for years, and I haven't really swallowed too much (this board and talk radio are helping me purge what I did swallow). It took a while before I stopped believing global warming.

Oh, and the not liking me for me part I really do know. My friends set me up with this girl one time who tried to 'whip' me. She didn't like my friends, my hobbies, etc. In fact, I really don't know why she liked me. It was before the end of the first 'date' when I just said that I wasn't going to abandon my friends for a pretty face, and that was that.

I also don't play the game, which is why my friends keep trying to set me up.

And I hate the BS.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, I get that. I really do. I promise. I just rarely see somebody else my age who gets it. Ever hear that perception is reality? Living on a college campus is not good for reality. I have several friends who are never not in a shallow, empty relationship because they think that's how it's done. I have several others who got burned by a couple of those and just don't want back in the dating game, or at least not yet. I have friends who read and believe these books. It's depressing.

Think of it this way. I've been getting spoon fed all kinds of bullcrap that flies around college campus for years, and I haven't really swallowed too much (this board and talk radio are helping me purge what I did swallow). It took a while before I stopped believing global warming.

Oh, and the not liking me for me part I really do know. My friends set me up with this girl one time who tried to 'whip' me. She didn't like my friends, my hobbies, etc. In fact, I really don't know why she liked me. It was before the end of the first 'date' when I just said that I wasn't going to abandon my friends for a pretty face, and that was that.

I also don't play the game, which is why my friends keep trying to set me up.

And I hate the BS.

You recognize the BS. You hate the BS.

You will be fine.

GotZoom said:
You recognize the BS. You hate the BS.

You will be fine.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for understanding and tolerating my, well, horrible jump to conclusions. Many of you were in college once. If it weren't for internet and the radio, I'd probably still believe global warming and that the Iraq war was a bad idea. When there's just one thing as far as the eye can see, it's hard to forget that there's a bunch of stuff over the horizon that might be different.

I am humbled, and that's good from time to time. It keeps me on my toes.

Hobbit said:
Anyway, thanks to everyone for understanding and tolerating my, well, horrible jump to conclusions. Many of you were in college once. If it weren't for internet and the radio, I'd probably still believe global warming and that the Iraq war was a bad idea. When there's just one thing as far as the eye can see, it's hard to forget that there's a bunch of stuff over the horizon that might be different.

I am humbled, and that's good from time to time. It keeps me on my toes.

He's right... You'll be fine...

Forum List

Back