Understanding Men

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Deleted because I made a bad choice of words and everybody jumped down my throat, made accusations about my social life, and because I just can't seem to pick a choice of packpedaling that somebody doesn't make look bad. I'm calling it a night. Consider the matter closed, please.

Hobbit said:
Okay, so I was browsing the local Books-a-Million and came across a diplay of books on dating, relationships, and the opposite sex. About 1/4 of the books for women had titles that were euphamisms for "Dig Your Claws Into His Wallet and Never Work Another Day in Your Life" by Golddigging Whore, and while this was appalling, it was not as troubling as the other 75% of those books. While there were a few on sex, most of the other 75%, I'd say about 60% of the total, were about understanding men...and these things were THICK! They were practically dictionaries. To anyone here who spends money on these things, you're getting ripped off, so for the benefit of all women of USMB who haven't been able to figure this stuff out by now, I open my mind to you for questions, because I think it will make the men in your lives even happier than they already are.

If it takes more than a single page to describe male behavior, it's too complicated. The thick books telling men how women think are there because women are deep and complicated and men aren't. If men were deep and complicated, we wouldn't have this problem. Teaching man how to think like a woman is like trying to teach somebody Calculus from Algebra I. It takes some real work to get to that level of complexity. The thick books on men, on the other hand, is like teaching somebody to do basic arithmetic...using Calculus. I mean, sure, you can do a double integral to find the volume of a cube, but why? <b>There are just a few basic things you need to understand. The most basic one is that guys are shallow, simple, and blunt.</b>

So, here I am to answer your questions on how our simple minds work. The answers may shock and amaze you, just because it really is that simple. However, I must keep some things secret. We have to maintain a level of apparant spontanaity.

Ordinary, boring guys are. Extraordinary guys are not. :)

Hobbit said:
To anyone here who spends money on these things, you're getting ripped off, so for the benefit of all women of USMB who haven't been able to figure this stuff out by now, I open my mind to you for questions, because I think it will make the men in your lives even happier than they already are.

Hobbit said:
The most basic one is that guys are shallow, simple, and blunt.

I'm not so sure I want you speaking for me.

Shattered said:
Ordinary, boring guys are. Extraordinary guys are not. :)

No, they actually are. They've just figured out how to fake it. Really.

Now, just for clarification, shallow, in this context, doesn't mean the "only cares about looks" shallow, but that there's really not that much beneath the surface emotions and thoughts most guys. Simple, in this context, doesn't mean primitive, but rather that we just aren't that complicated. Blunt, of course, means we say what we mean.

Seriously, though. Any guy who appears to be as deep, complex, and subtle as a woman has most likely just learned to fake it really well. If you don't believe me, give me an example of something he may have done that you thought was deep, complicated, or subtle, and I'll tell you what's really going on.

Hobbit said:
Okay, so I was browsing the local Books-a-Million and came across a diplay of books on dating, relationships, and the opposite sex. About 1/4 of the books for women had titles that were euphamisms for "Dig Your Claws Into His Wallet and Never Work Another Day in Your Life" by Golddigging Whore, and while this was appalling, it was not as troubling as the other 75% of those books. While there were a few on sex, most of the other 75%, I'd say about 60% of the total, were about understanding men...and these things were THICK! They were practically dictionaries. To anyone here who spends money on these things, you're getting ripped off, so for the benefit of all women of USMB who haven't been able to figure this stuff out by now, I open my mind to you for questions, because I think it will make the men in your lives even happier than they already are.

If it takes more than a single page to describe male behavior, it's too complicated. The thick books telling men how women think are there because women are deep and complicated and men aren't. If men were deep and complicated, we wouldn't have this problem. Teaching man how to think like a woman is like trying to teach somebody Calculus from Algebra I. It takes some real work to get to that level of complexity. The thick books on men, on the other hand, is like teaching somebody to do basic arithmetic...using Calculus. I mean, sure, you can do a double integral to find the volume of a cube, but why? There are just a few basic things you need to understand. The most basic one is that guys are shallow, simple, and blunt.

So, here I am to answer your questions on how our simple minds work. The answers may shock and amaze you, just because it really is that simple. However, I must keep some things secret. We have to maintain a level of apparant spontanaity.

Thanks for the laugh. Really, I mean that.

LOL. Algerbra, go watch Bravo. :laugh:

Hobbit said:

Now, just for clarification, shallow, in this context, doesn't mean the "only cares about looks" shallow, but that there's really not that much beneath the surface emotions and thoughts most guys. Simple, in this context, doesn't mean primitive, but rather that we just aren't that complicated. Blunt, of course, means we say what we mean.

Seriously, though. Any guy who appears to be as deep, complex, and subtle as a woman has most likely just learned to fake it really well. If you don't believe me, give me an example of something he may have done that you thought was deep, complicated, or subtle, and I'll tell you what's really going on.

You hate Valentine's Day, don't have/want a girlfriend, are a young pup, and you're going to enlighten ME as to how men think????

Egads.

You already had 2 tell you not to speak for them.. You're calling both of them "fakers"?

Shattered said:
You hate Valentine's Day, don't have/want a girlfriend, are a young pup, and you're going to enlighten ME as to how men think????

Egads.

You already had 2 tell you not to speak for them.. You're calling both of them "fakers"?

Sums it up for me.

Hobbit said:

one one knee to propose in front of the family on christmas eve

Eh, forgive me. I sometimes forget to clarify on terms a bit. Think about it, though. Do you say one thing and mean another, but don't consider it lying? Do you say what you mean?

Those three terms were probably a bad choice due to their negative connotations. I'll go with forward for blunt, but I can't think of any other way to say that guys don't have convoluted thought processes that women think we do, nor do we say make believe on our emotions, except sadness.

Eh, here I go again with my weekly game of bad terminology, foot in mouth, and backpedaling. I really need to proofread some of these better.

manu1959 said:
one one knee to propose in front of the family on christmas eve

You faker, you.. ;)

Hobbit - you're out of your league on this particular rant.. You have no idea what you're talking about. Trust me.

Hobbit said:
Ok, fine, forget the whole thing. I'll just delete it if I can. It was a bad idea.

nah come on dude tell me i what i was really up to?

or tell me about the time my wife and son were dieing in childbirth?

or the time i lost my son in the woods for two hours?

come on spill it oh wise one

Hobbit said:
Eh, forgive me. I sometimes forget to clarify on terms a bit. Think about it, though. Do you say one thing and mean another, but don't consider it lying? Do you say what you mean?

Those three terms were probably a bad choice due to their negative connotations. I'll go with forward for blunt, but I can't think of any other way to say that guys don't have convoluted thought processes that women think we do, nor do we say make believe on our emotions, except sadness.

Eh, here I go again with my weekly game of bad terminology, foot in mouth, and backpedaling. I really need to proofread some of these better.

Sounds like a good idea. Not to be a jerk but you really have no idea what other men's intentions are.

If you think they are shallow, etc...then perhaps you are speaking from experience.

I am deeply in love with someone and try to tell her every day. She knows how I feel...but I still tell her. Because to me, words will never express how I truly feel; how deeply and insanely in love I am with her.

Nothing shallow..nothing fake.

Just how I feel. And she knows it.

And that is all that counts.

Just invite more men to answer the questions as they understand it. Men are not some amoebic organism with the same thought. Well they aren't as long as the main brain is working. If the brain in the little head has taken control men actually are like one amoebic personality. Some are able to seem more suave during this, they are the ones that were previously called "extraordinary"...

Ok, look, I was trying to get to this point without going on for too long about it (nobody ever reads long posts).

Girls tend to think that guys have the same complicated thought processes that they do. I see way too many girls who read paragraphs into a sentence their guys say. These books I see talk about how when a guy says he likes you in that dress, he's really saying a whole host of other things when, in fact, he just likes you in that dress, or how every compliment or gesture means a whole novel of stuff when they usually just mean exactly what it looks like. However, when I make a few bad term choices, I get jumped all over. Look, I've admitted it was a bad idea, or maybe just poor execution, so please, just let me go extract my foot from my mouth and go to bed.

Hobbit said:
Ok, look, I was trying to get to this point without going on for too long about it (nobody ever reads long posts).

Girls tend to think that guys have the same complicated thought processes that they do. I see way too many girls who read paragraphs into a sentence their guys say. These books I see talk about how when a guy says he likes you in that dress, he's really saying a whole host of other things when, in fact, he just likes you in that dress, or how every compliment or gesture means a whole novel of stuff when they usually just mean exactly what it looks like. However, when I make a few bad term choices, I get jumped all over. Look, I've admitted it was a bad idea, or maybe just poor execution, so please, just let me go extract my foot from my mouth and go to bed.

Maybe some of those guys have proven by past actions that when he says one thing, he actually means another.

This thread isn't a bad idea - should have some interesting posts.

GotZoom said:
Sounds like a good idea. Not to be a jerk but you really have no idea what other men's intentions are.

If you think they are shallow, etc...then perhaps you are speaking from experience.

I am deeply in love with someone and try to tell her every day. She knows how I feel...but I still tell her. Because to me, words will never express how I truly feel; how deeply and insanely in love I am with her.

Nothing shallow..nothing fake.

Just how I feel. And she knows it.

And that is all that counts.

And what I'm trying to say is that when you tell her you love her, are you actually commenting on her cooking, style of dress, begging for something, or admitting to an affair? This is what many of these book purport. I'm serious. I made a bad choice of terms, end of story.

I understand your intentions, I just think you should have opened the thread to all men to answer the questions.

Make rules like, be actually honest and forthright, etc.

I think it would be an interesting thread. Men and women do think differently. It would be fun and interesting to explore this according to each person's experiences.

Forum List

Back