Understanding Christianity

Okay then, define "massive", so I don't hurt any feelings by guessing what you mean.

Legends among different cultures of floods is not evidence for a mass flood. That is only evidence that floods have always occured. Evidence for a single, mass flooding event would require a much stricter standard.

Sea life...where, exactly? Tell me where, and I bet it is easily explained. Fossils are rare, you know. The waters would have receded fairly quickly. It seems an odd proposition that we would find copious fossils from a short flood event.

Massive, as in huge... the likes of which people of the time had never experienced before. Legends of the same basic flood across various cultures would seemingly indicate there might be some truth to the legends. Yes, floods happen all the time but GREAT floods, the likes of which have never been seen before, don't happen all the time... obviously.

And honestly, I cannot link you up to any online resource regarding the ocean fossils found in mountainous regions. I read this in a book over 20 years ago so I am sure the information is out there somewhere if you search for it. Again, I am not claiming this "proves" anything, it's just interesting evidence that should be considered. Seems like it was somewhere in a mountain range of what is modern-day Turkey, if my memory serves me correctly.

My only real point to you is that you ought to be very careful about proclaiming things untrue when you don't have all the information and you weren't there. We have TONS of things we simply don't know and maybe never will. To defiantly proclaim certain things "false" on the basis of your limited knowledge is just plain foolish.

My bad for misspeaking. You'll get over it, because it is not germane.

And remember: your argument for a worldwide flood is terrible.

I don't recall ever arguing for a "worldwide flood" ...can you point that out to me?

I think you keep confusing me with some Christian who is cleaning your clock.

I like to approach the flood story from a purely intellectual standpoint. Whether it's the Biblical story or Gilgamesh, it seems apparent there was indeed some kind of massive flood which actually took place. At the time, the "world" was simply what we knew of as the world. We didn't have the Weather Channel and storm tracker monitoring stations in 147 countries. Our species was confined to relatively small region of the planet and that WAS "the world" as far as we could possibly know. So the entire concept of a "worldwide flood" quickly becomes a major regional flood which is considerably more likely to have happened. And when you start considering there may have been several major events working together... an earthquake, an asteroid strike, a volcano eruption, a tsunami... yeah, it's possible that mankind perceived this great flood as covering the whole world.

Archaeologically, we have found fossils of sea life on mountaintops in the area... how do you explain that? I suppose you could argue that plate tectonics is responsible, as plates shifted, it moved what was once a sea bed to a mountain top... but it seems that any likely fossils would've been covered up by tons of debris, never to be found. It could also be there is something to the numerous and curiously similar tales of a great flood.

For me, the more fascinating part of the story (because a flood can be explained) is Noah and how he knew to build a big ass boat for this impending disaster. Can you imagine what it must've been like for him? Being mocked and ridiculed daily by his neighbors who all thought he was nuts. You know his family and friends must've had moments of doubt as well. Heck, he probably had those same doubts along the way... what the hell am I doing? I can't imagine anyone doing such a thing today... God told me to do this because shit's fixing to get real man!

Okay then, define "massive", so I don't hurt any feelings by guessing what you mean.

Legends among different cultures of floods is not evidence for a mass flood. That is only evidence that floods have always occured. Evidence for a single, mass flooding event would require a much stricter standard.

Sea life...where, exactly? Tell me where, and I bet it is easily explained.

Sea life...where, exactly? Tell me where, and I bet it is easily explained. Fossils are rare, you know. The waters would have receded fairly quickly. It seems an odd proposition that we would find copious fossils from a short flood event.

Massive, as in huge... the likes of which people of the time had never experienced before. Legends of the same basic flood across various cultures would seemingly indicate there might be some truth to the legends. Yes, floods happen all the time but GREAT floods, the likes of which have never been seen before, don't happen all the time... obviously.

And honestly, I cannot link you up to any online resource regarding the ocean fossils found in mountainous regions. I read this in a book over 20 years ago so I am sure the information is out there somewhere if you search for it. Again, I am not claiming this "proves" anything, it's just interesting evidence that should be considered. Seems like it was somewhere in a mountain range of what is modern-day Turkey, if my memory serves me correctly.

My only real point to you is that you ought to be very careful about proclaiming things untrue when you don't have all the information and you weren't there. We have TONS of things we simply don't know and maybe never will. To defiantly proclaim certain things "false" on the basis of your limited knowledge is just plain foolish.
"Massive, as in huge... the likes of which people of the time had never experienced before. ""

You mean, like a 100-year flood? A 300-year flood? Are those all massive flood events, too? We've had a lot of those, in a lot of places.

I can't say for 100% certainty that it is false (what "it" is, is still not quite well-defined, now that I think about it). But I'm not seeing anything to convince me that "it's" true.

BTW, the sea life to which you referred... back to that ... where?

I don't recall ever arguing for a "worldwide flood" ...can you point that out to me?

I like to approach the flood story from a purely intellectual standpoint. Whether it's the Biblical story or Gilgamesh, it seems apparent there was indeed some kind of massive flood which actually took place. At the time, the "world" was simply what we knew of as the world. We didn't have the Weather Channel and storm tracker monitoring stations in 147 countries. Our species was confined to relatively small region of the planet and that WAS "the world" as far as we could possibly know. So the entire concept of a "worldwide flood" quickly becomes a major regional flood which is considerably more likely to have happened. And when you start considering there may have been several major events working together... an earthquake, an asteroid strike, a volcano eruption, a tsunami... yeah, it's possible that mankind perceived this great flood as covering the whole world.

Archaeologically, we have found fossils of sea life on mountaintops in the area... how do you explain that? I suppose you could argue that plate tectonics is responsible, as plates shifted, it moved what was once a sea bed to a mountain top... but it seems that any likely fossils would've been covered up by tons of debris, never to be found. It could also be there is something to the numerous and curiously similar tales of a great flood.

For me, the more fascinating part of the story (because a flood can be explained) is Noah and how he knew to build a big ass boat for this impending disaster. Can you imagine what it must've been like for him? Being mocked and ridiculed daily by his neighbors who all thought he was nuts. You know his family and friends must've had moments of doubt as well. Heck, he probably had those same doubts along the way... what the hell am I doing? I can't imagine anyone doing such a thing today... God told me to do this because shit's fixing to get real man!

"Massive, as in huge... the likes of which people of the time had never experienced before. ""

You mean, like a 100-year flood? A 300-year flood? Are those all massive flood events, too? We've had a lot of those, in a lot of places.

I can't say for 100% certainty that it is false (what "it" is, is still not quite well-defined, now that I think about it). But I'm not seeing anything to convince me that "it's" true.

This would have been a flood unlike anyone alive would've ever seen or heard about. Keep in mind, people lived much longer back then because there weren't as many diseases. So I would speculate a flood like hadn't happened for thousands of years. And it could be there were more than one "Great Floods" which became legends. In any event, it isn't hard to fathom a massive flood even that would've been perceived (at that time) as a "worldwide" flood.

As for the sea life.... like I told you, I read this in a book over 20 years ago. I'm not sure of the details, I think it was somewhere in modern-day Turkey but I could be mistaken. I'm sure if you do some research you can find information on it.

This would have been a flood unlike anyone alive would've ever seen or heard about. Keep in mind, people lived much longer back then because there weren't as many diseases. So I would speculate a flood like hadn't happened for thousands of years. And it could be there were more than one "Great Floods" which became legends. In any event, it isn't hard to fathom a massive flood even that would've been perceived (at that time) as a "worldwide" flood.

As for the sea life.... like I told you, I read this in a book over 20 years ago. I'm not sure of the details, I think it was somewhere in modern-day Turkey but I could be mistaken. I'm sure if you do some research you can find information on it.
This would have been a flood unlike anyone alive would've ever seen or heard about.
i.e., a 300-year flood.

Keep in mind, people lived much longer back then because there weren't as many diseases.
I don't buy that for a second. There was infection, which is even worse. The diseases which killed a lot of their hosts didn't persist very long.

So I would speculate a flood like hadn't happened for thousands of years.
Okay, but a 5,000- or 10,000-year flood still happens every 5,000-10,000 years. Maybe we are to believe there is one major flood that generates all (some? Most? ) of the legends. That's certainly possible, if we take that history to span only a few tens of thousands of years at most. Or it could be there were more than one "Great Floods" which became legends.

In any event, it isn't hard to fathom a massive flood even that would've been perceived (at that time) as a "worldwide" flood.

Yes, exactly.

This would have been a flood unlike anyone alive would've ever seen or heard about.
i.e., a 300-year flood.

Keep in mind, people lived much longer back then because there weren't as many diseases.
I don't buy that for a second. There was infection, which is even worse. The diseases which killed a lot of their hosts didn't persist very long.

So I would speculate a flood like hadn't happened for thousands of years.
Okay, but a 5,000- or 10,000-year flood still happens every 5,000-10,000 years. Maybe we are to believe there is one major flood that generates all (some? Most? ) of the legends. That's certainly possible, if we take that history to span only a few tens of thousands of years at most. Or it could be there were more than one "Great Floods" which became legends.

In any event, it isn't hard to fathom a massive flood even that would've been perceived (at that time) as a "worldwide" flood.

Yes, exactly.

From a purely philosophical perspective, all any of us can do is "believe" because we do not KNOW. So it's really just a matter of, do you believe THIS story or ANOTHER story? I have no qualms with what anyone believes but my contention is with people who proclaim things "impossible" or "ridiculous" and act as if we know they never happened.

Then research the Dead Sea Scrolls. They weren't dated several generations later.

they are all copies, where are the originals, etchings in stone or clay renderings from the time when the events being depicted occurred, the christian bible was created in the late 4th century.

This is patently false. Every book in the New Testament is very contemporary writing for the period before the fall of the temple. This would be an impossibility for someone to fake 300 years later. No writings survive in an era when anything written on is left open to the air, it all rots pretty quick, even animal hides. Among ancient writings, the New Testament texts are closer to their origins than almost any other ancient writings; the nearest one gets to Homer or is some 800 years, for example, and only a few copies at that. There are also thousands of extant copies for it that allow for extensive cross checking, and most of the books included later are also known to have existed very early on via mentions in letters among the various churches and the like.

From a purely philosophical perspective, all any of us can do is "believe" because we do not KNOW. So it's really just a matter of, do you believe THIS story or ANOTHER story? I have no qualms with what anyone believes but my contention is with people who proclaim things "impossible" or "ridiculous" and act as if we know they never happened.

You can ignore FFI, he's just a dumbass troll and would deny any evidence regardless of what was posted if it went against the PC revisionism; that we already know. He's terrified of Xians for some reason, probably because he thinks they will take away his collections of butt plugs and bestiality porn or something similar, who knows what flavor of neurotic deviancy he's into.

As for Noah's flood, a couple of scientists think it really happened.

National Geographic: Noah’s Flood/Black Sea Expedition

New Evidence Suggests Biblical Great Flood Happened

Water covering the tops of mountains is just a little hyperbole that tries to convey the magnitude of the partial extinction event. In scripture "the mountains of Israel" also refers to the big shots of the community. Therefore, water covering their highest mountain could also indicate that all the well heeled big shots drowned. 10 feet of water would have done the trick, especially among desert dwellers who probably couldn't swim for a minute much less a month.. They really didn't need to exaggerate much.

That remains your own interpretation. No one knows what Noah saw to tell that it's actually a hyperbole.

Everyone knows that there isn't enough water on the planet to cover the top of any mountain in a flood..

It can only be figurative or hyperbole.

No. Again, you assume wrong. Humans don't know all kinds of catastrophe. It can be something wiping out the earth in a period of time we can't evaluate. You don't need to assume that the 'flood' covers all mountains of earth at the same time. It can cover one mountain at a time till the whole earth with everything in is destroyed.

Well, 'the whole world' for someone like Noah and his people wouldn't have to be literally the entire planet, either.

That's the problem with much of the Bible. Some is literal, some is not.
People that are educated in the Bible and history know a bit more, but, ultimately, it is a book of religion and faith. Those that honor it believe in their hearts and minds that it was written by God (not by hand obviously, but, by God through people)

We can talk about how idiots believe this etc., but, the topic is understanding Christianity

Then research the Dead Sea Scrolls. They weren't dated several generations later.

they are all copies, where are the originals, etchings in stone or clay renderings from the time when the events being depicted occurred, the christian bible was created in the late 4th century.

This is patently false. Every book in the New Testament is very contemporary writing for the period before the fall of the temple. This would be an impossibility for someone to fake 300 years later. No writings survive in an era when anything written on is left open to the air, it all rots pretty quick, even animal hides. Among ancient writings, the New Testament texts are closer to their origins than almost any other ancient writings; the nearest one gets to Homer or is some 800 years, for example, and only a few copies at that. There are also thousands of extant copies for it that allow for extensive cross checking, and most of the books included later are also known to have existed very early on via mentions in letters among the various churches and the like.
This would be an impossibility for someone to fake 300 years later. No writings survive in an era when anything written on is left open to the air, it all rots pretty quick, even animal hides.

where are the originals, etchings in stone or clay renderings from the time when the events being depicted occurred

upload_2017-9-27_10-54-36.jpeg

The tablet was made during the reign of King Tukulti-Ninurta I, ca. 1243 B.C.–1207 B.C.

This would be an impossibility for someone to fake 300 years later.

the above stone tablet would be an impossibility to dispute that I am referring to that "for some" reason does not exist as the origin for the 4th century book that clearly has forgeries incorporated throughout its written text.

the christian bible is a 4th century rendering at best for the 1st century events tailored to political representations and not a religious document.

That's the problem with much of the Bible. Some is literal, some is not.
People that are educated in the Bible and history know a bit more, but, ultimately, it is a book of religion and faith. Those that honor it believe in their hearts and minds that it was written by God (not by hand obviously, but, by God through people)

We can talk about how idiots believe this etc., but, the topic is understanding Christianity
but, ultimately, it is a book of religion and faith ... but, the topic is understanding Christianity

no, the 4th century christian bible is not a book of religion it is a political document deliberately disguised as a religion for people needing their values to be represented in a manner that allows them to be "in the face" to others under false pretenses they have cunningly used for their personal advantage from that time to the present day.

the 1st century events were an enlivenment of the Free Spirit the 4th century book condemns as their version of evil. their duplicitous use of Jesus without rendering the Justice necessary against the crucifiers only deepens their heresy and Idolatry.

No, who wrote it is the issue. World's best seller and no author to be found? Bullshit.
As to what was written, how did the ghost writer come up with cities being destroyed by God? Why he made them up of course, just like the rest of it, right? Don't know how the Jews latched on to his fictitious work, so early on, but what is truly amazing is that his fictional event was actually recorded while it was happening, and preserved until well after the secret author had passed on....
And then there are the other cities in the vicinity, and how one knows that the work of God was at hand.
They were all incinerated during that event, except one. The one that harbored Lot, who God promised to spare. It should have been burnt to a crisp also, but instead, it exists to this day. The others do not.

No, who wrote it is the issue. World's best seller and no author to be found? Bullshit.
As to what was written, how did the ghost writer come up with cities being destroyed by God? Why he made them up of course, just like the rest of it, right? Don't know how the Jews latched on to his fictitious work, so early on, but what is truly amazing is that his fictional event was actually recorded while it was happening, and preserved until well after the secret author had passed on....
And then there are the other cities in the vicinity, and how one knows that the work of God was at hand.
They were all incinerated during that event, except one. The one that harbored Lot, who God promised to spare. It should have been burnt to a crisp also, but instead, it exists to this day. The others do not.
who wrote what is the issue ... without authentication.

not real sure what the above post was saying - there are plenty of verified historical events recorded over time, that is not true of the christian "religion" as depicted in their 4th century book. or their religious renderings verified by the participants during the time of the events.

again as previously stated -
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”.

the above from their 4th century book is a forgery.

Bible, perennial world's best seller exist .....
I've never heard anyone claim they know names of the men who wrote it. Or originally edited it.
Still, though the heathen rage, for well over 2000 years the Bible as exerted considerable influence over many millions of people.
With no let up in sight.

New Topics

Forum List

Back