Under the Clinton Admin MMS Lowered BOP Testing Regulations Requirements for Big Oil

This is an interesting older thread to see bumped.

Now where are all those clowns of late who keep saying NOBODY is blaming Obama for the spill!!!!!

eh?

U.S. Minerals Management Service peeled-back testing requirement in 1998 under the Clinton Administration

new procedures and rules may be needed, including certifying blowout preventers by an independent group of experts. He also said the agency may revise its peeled-back testing requirement of 1998, when it replaced a weekly regimen with biweekly pressure tests...

...In 1999, right after that rule change, an MMS-commissioned report by a research group identified 117 blowout preventer failures at deep-water rigs within the previous year. These breakdowns created 3,638 hours of lost time — a 4 percent chunk of drilling time.

In 2004, an engineering study for federal regulators said only 3 of 14 new devices could shear pipe, as sometimes required to check leaks, at maximum rated depths. Only half of operators accepting a newly built device tested this function during commissioning or acceptance, according to the report.

"This grim snapshot illustrates the lack of preparedness in the industry to shear and seal a well with the last line of defense against a blowout," the report warned.

Two years later, a trade journal's article still noted that shearing preventer's "may also have difficulty cutting today's high-strength, high toughness drill pipe" at deep wells.
A Republican controlled Congress...hmmm, maybe this was Newt's Contract to Destroy America.

MMS is part of the executive branch. this really just goes to the fact that there is no real difference in the venality and cupidity of the two parties.

our kids and grandkids will pay the price.

This is a government breakdown. Both parties are to blame, I find it interesting that Obama and his cronies are blaming Bush, yet granted BP the exemption.

It is all politics and money folks. Big business was granted exemptions because politicians are wanting money and favors once they leave the public life.

Many of those at MMS are probably going to go to the private sector jobs of the oil companies, so who will they grant favors to? Their future employers.

You partisan hacks crack me up. I can't believe some are foolish enough to believe that the Republicans are any more indebted to big business than the Democrats are, or visa versa.

Time and time again its proven that both parties make fools of all of you.

You partisan hacks crack me up. I can't believe some are foolish enough to believe that the Republicans are any more indebted to big business than the Democrats are, or visa versa.

So your argument is that the republicans are just as corrupt as the democrats?

So your argument is that the republicans are just as corrupt as the democrats?

It always has been fool. I told you that last night that McCain was my first Republican vote for President.

Both parties suck and those who want to act as if one party is better than the other are idiots.

The united states government profits the most from big oil collecting twice as much money from oil in taxes then big oil's actual profits.

Between the tax we pay for gas and the tax oil companies pay, it's the government getting the richest off oil.

Workers on Doomed Rig Voiced Concern About Safety
A confidential survey of workers on the Deepwater Horizon in the weeks before the oil rig exploded showed that many of them were concerned about safety practices and feared reprisals if they reported mistakes or other problems.

In the survey, commissioned by the rig’s owner, Transocean, workers said that company plans were not carried out properly and that they “often saw unsafe behaviors on the rig.”

Some workers also voiced concerns about poor equipment reliability, “which they believed was as a result of drilling priorities taking precedence over planned maintenance,” according to the survey, one of two Transocean reports obtained by The New York Times.

“At nine years old, Deepwater Horizon has never been in dry dock,” one worker told investigators. “We can only work around so much.”

“Run it, break it, fix it,” another worker said. “That’s how they work.”

According to a separate 112-page equipment assessment also commissioned by Transocean, many key components — including the blowout preventer rams and failsafe valves — had not been fully inspected since 2000, even though guidelines require its inspection every three to five years.

The report cited at least 26 components and systems on the rig that were in “bad” or “poor” condition.

Alarm system on Gulf oil rig ‘had been switched off’
Early warning systems on the Deepwater Horizon rig had been switched off, a federal investigation has been told.

Michael Williams, a chief technician at Transocean, the firm that operated the doomed rig for BP, told a federal panel in New Orleans that alarms had been disabled to prevent workers being woken up by false alarms.

He said he had protested to his supervisor, Mark Hay, a year before the explosion that destroyed the rig, but was told the alarm system had been "bypassed" on Transocean's "entire fleet".

GEE WIZ WASN'T THIS DONE UNDER THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION? They are still bypassed as we speak. These guys know cheap oil will revive the economy faster than anything so they gave big oil a pass as long as oil stays low. Now it has blown up in their face & we will have to pay down the road.

Last edited:
This isnt a Clinton sucks/Bush sucks thing............anybody who occupies the oval office is bougth off by big oil. And thats not goiong to change anythime soon. Why? Because its what powers our country s0ns.........like it or not and its not going to change either. This whole green economy BS........all just distraction. ANd its gonna be that way for several more decades until techonology catches up to our energy needs. Its far, far from there now despite what the environmental whac jobs say abouot solar and wind yada.........yada. THATS some funny sh!t s0ns!!!

But make no mistake, the whole oil co. regulations thing is a big scam........every administration sucks.

Forum List

Back