Under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million

R

rdean

We asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition service for month-by-month figures going back to January 2001. And they show that under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million. Nothing before comes close to that.

Otherwise, current eligibility standards are unchanged from what they were before Obama took office, USDA officials say. Generally, those with incomes at or below 130% of the official poverty level, and savings of $2,000 or less, may receive aid. The income level is currently just over $29,000 a year for a family of four.

The economic downturn began in December 2007. In the 12 months before Obama was sworn in, 4.4 million were added to the rolls, triple the 1.4 million added in 2007.

Who gets food stamps?

••47% of beneficiaries were children under age 18.
••8% were age 60 or older.
••41% lived in a household with earnings from a job — the so-called "working poor."
••The average household received a monthly benefit of $287.
••49% were white (non-Hispanic); 26% were black or African American; and 20% were Hispanic (of any race).

Fact check: Gingrich's faulty food-stamp claim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

One statistic left out of the article is that 75% of those getting food stamps are families.

Republicans keep insisting that people getting food stamps don't work, when nearly half live in families who are working. But these people simply can't support a family on what they make. So Republicans, the party that wants to deny birth control, tells them not to have kids. Not all kids are as fortunate as "Bristol Palin". Some need help. They ARE working. They just aren't making it. So Republicans say, "Let them die"?

For many getting minimum wage, to those small businesses food stamps are a "business subsidy". Could you imagine how much worse this country would be if we really did follow "Let him die" and "Feed the poor and they'll breed". Republicans want to give subsidies to oil companies but not to struggling American families????

car-300x231.jpg

Michele Bachmann: If anyone will not work, neither should he eat

Michelle Bachmann says anyone who won't work should not eat. Who defines what "won't work" means? They are on unemployment? The don't have a job? They are losing their homes?

I'm curious. Looking at your link. What does this mean:

The Right Views, Right Now.
Conservative Opinion and Analysis

Does that mean they make up their own facts? Or twist them to say what they want?

Actually, it's a little screwy. If you look at the entire USDA report,

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Published/snap/FILES/Other/BuildingHealthyAmerica.pdf

You get the "big picture".

Half of SNAP participants in May 2004 were on the program for seven years. This is sizable increase from May 2001, when the median length of participation was four years.

You could find a "gotcha" phrase no matter who you are.

-----------------

But that wasn't really the point. The point was that people don't get food stamps because they just sit around and live a life of leisure. As you can see from the statistics, nearly half are working. They just don't make enough. Republicans want to punish these people? Why not educate them?

Neither number is good. I do not begrudge tax money for aid to the poor, but the increase in poverty remains a failure.

Right you are and it's intolerable. But why penalize everyone else?

It is a drain on others, that I cannot dispute. And though welfare benefits, LEGALLY expended, go into the US economy, more money would enter the economy if unemployment was not VERY, VERY high.

yes, there are more people than ever....But obama has not increased the percentage of recipients more than president bush increased the percentage of recipients....and the percentage increase is the only way to compare apples to apples T....especially with our increase in population. Obama is close to surpassing the percentage increase of Pres. Bush, but it hasn't happened yet and food stamp recipients started to go down from the peak the past 8 months....so he might not ever beat bush's percentage increase in recipients if this continues.

We asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food and Nutrition service for month-by-month figures going back to January 2001. And they show that under President George W. Bush the number of recipients rose by nearly 14.7 million. Nothing before comes close to that.

Otherwise, current eligibility standards are unchanged from what they were before Obama took office, USDA officials say. Generally, those with incomes at or below 130% of the official poverty level, and savings of $2,000 or less, may receive aid. The income level is currently just over $29,000 a year for a family of four.

The economic downturn began in December 2007. In the 12 months before Obama was sworn in, 4.4 million were added to the rolls, triple the 1.4 million added in 2007.

Who gets food stamps?

••41% lived in a household with earnings from a job — the so-called "working poor."
••49% were white (non-Hispanic); 26% were black or African American; and 20% were Hispanic (of any race).

One statistic left out of the article is that 75% of those getting food stamps are families.

Republicans keep insisting that people getting food stamps don't work, when nearly half live in families who are working. But these people simply can't support a family on what they make. So Republicans, the party that wants to deny birth control, tells them not to have kids. Not all kids are as fortunate as "Bristol Palin". Some need help. They ARE working. They just aren't making it. So Republicans say, "Let them die"?

For many getting minimum wage, to those small businesses food stamps are a "business subsidy". Could you imagine how much worse this country would be if we really did follow "Let him die" and "Feed the poor and they'll breed". Republicans want to give subsidies to oil companies but not to struggling American families????

car-300x231.jpg

Michelle Bachmann says anyone who won't work should not eat. Who defines what "won't work" means? They are on unemployment? The don't have a job? They are losing their homes?

why are you regurgitating this? we had this out when he said it....

Who gets food stamps?

car-300x231.jpg

why are you regurgitating this? we had this out when he said it....

Arnoldhorseshack-1.jpg

Because he can and is stupid as dirt?​

Last time I checked Barack Hussein Obama was our President.
He is currently accountable for all the unemployed,all the homeless,all those on welfare,all those on food stamps.

Either he is or President Bush is not accountable for anything.

You lefties can't have it both ways.
Bush was responsible when he was President.
Obama is responsible now that he is President.

Neither number is good. I do not begrudge tax money for aid to the poor, but the increase in poverty remains a failure.

Right you are and it's intolerable. But why penalize everyone else?

It is a drain on others, that I cannot dispute. And though welfare benefits, LEGALLY expended, go into the US economy, more money would enter the economy if unemployment was not VERY, VERY high.

There's NO excuse. PERIOD.

yes, there are more people than ever....but obama has not increased the percentage of recipients more than president bush increased the percentage of recipients....and the percentage increase is the only way to compare apples to apples t....especially with our increase in population. Obama is close to surpassing the percentage increase of pres. Bush, but it hasn't happened yet and food stamp recipients started to go down from the peak the past 8 months....so he might not ever beat bush's percentage increase in recipients if this continues.

bullshit.

Last time I checked Barack Hussein Obama was our President.
He is currently accountable for all the unemployed,all the homeless,all those on welfare,all those on food stamps.

Either he is or President Bush is not accountable for anything.

You lefties can't have it both ways.
Bush was responsible when he was President.
Obama is responsible now that he is President.
simple as that huh? nothing else of relevance goes in to that....just blame the residing president? that's just plain silly....we can't all be NON THINKING, non analytical folks, sorry...life is not so simple or simple minded....but by all means, you can try rozman, I ain't gonna stop ya!

yes, there are more people than ever....but obama has not increased the percentage of recipients more than president bush increased the percentage of recipients....and the percentage increase is the only way to compare apples to apples t....especially with our increase in population. Obama is close to surpassing the percentage increase of pres. Bush, but it hasn't happened yet and food stamp recipients started to go down from the peak the past 8 months....so he might not ever beat bush's percentage increase in recipients if this continues.

bullshit.
it's not bull crud T, just do some reading and analyzing of numbers...truth may hurt your goal of saying otherwise, but truth is truth....sorry!

I am amazed at the idol worship here.
This President doesn't seem to be responsible
for where we are right now in regard to anything.

Unemployment.....Bush's fault
Housing issues.....Bush's fault
Education issues...Bush's fault
Economy issues....Bush's fault
Energy issues.......Bush's fault
Manufacturing......Bush's fault.

Almost 4 years into this Presidency and this guy is not to be held accountable for any of this...

I have seen cult worship over the years but this is starting to be scary here.

Almost 4 years into this Presidency and this guy is not to be held accountable for any of this...

I have seen cult worship over the years but this is starting to be scary here.

These doltsw won't ever get it and continue down thier pre-determined primrose path to thier own destruction.

And they'll blame Bush then too.

Dean is brillant he wants to burn down all the businesses and then he complains about no jobs. Then he touts government assistance as a good thing. I mean the war on poverty is been on for 50 years, WHAT is the EXIT strategy on this war, dean?

I have seen cult worship over the years but this is starting to be scary here
boringggggg tripe Rozman...got any new 'lines', a tad more up to date, i've been hearing that one for 4 years now...

fyi, i did not vote for obama last election and i may not vote for him next time either...but what i do know is i'm sick of the 4 years of whining and crying you guys on the right have been doing obsessively, you all have even outdone in 3.5 years what 12 years of bush whiners have done....and sheesh, get a life and take care of yourself, this blaming the president for all of your ills just shy of a nosebleed, is kind of a waste of time that you could spend making your own life better....without needing the President to be bottle feeding you through this mess...

it's time for the American people and American businesses to 'pick up the pieces' themselves...as far as I'm concerned

''Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country...'' JFK

Last edited:
Dean is brillant he wants to burn down all the businesses and then he complains about no jobs. Then he touts government assistance as a good thing. I mean the war on poverty is been on for 50 years, WHAT is the EXIT strategy on this war, dean?
Yes, and it worked until Reagan came along.

Forum List

Back