Under "Don't ask, don't tell" it costs $52,800 to liberate the military from each gay

Discussion in 'Military' started by loosecannon, Jan 20, 2011.

1. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Is this the kind of gratuitous deficit spending that the ridiculous right wants to embrace?

Why does this make the knee jerk right look like homophobe central and make their commitment to deficit reduction look like lipstick on their pig?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,410
    Because they're scared of "the gay" infecting the military and turning them into a less effective fighting force.

Remember......fear and oppression costs money.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Not sure why this is a right issues. It was the left who passed this act.

4. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Every poll I've seen has the majority of the American people supporting the repeal of don't ask don't tell-I don't recall seeing a poll with below a 60% support to be honest, so while it's certainly not a right issue-it's also not entirely accurate to say it's a left issue either.

5. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Besides, the OP is referring to the policy BEFORE it was repealed, ergo a right wing policy. The numbers themselves are suspect though and do not take many factors into account.

Also, to the popularity I could give a shit. 99% of the country has no fucking clue whatsoever about the don't ask don't tell policy, its effects and whether or not it should be repealed. They should have ZERO to say on the matter as it is not an issue for the public to decide. they have no clue what it means and how it can damage the frontline operations. Don't get me wrong, I am not against the repeal of don't ask don't tell. The military can do as it pleases. The only thing I am pissed about is the fact that congress is making this decision in the first place (also the fault of the right). For me, this power should have always rested in the hands of the commander in chief. I may not like the man and his policies but he IS the commander in chief and if he said the policy is gone tomorrow then that is EXACTLY what we will do. PERIOD. That is where the beginning and the end of this policy should lie.

6. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You are an imbecile, and truth will never be your friend.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,315
    It is worth $52,800 to prevent a gay man from viewing your winkie in the shower

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Really? Care to expound on that meaningless statement or are you unable to string a real statement together. What exactly do you think is incorrect about that?

9. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    That would be because prior to this act, there was an outright ban on gays in the military whether they were "asked" or "told" or not.

"Don't ask don't tell" was a compromise between Clinton and the Republicans, who at the time were trying to turn the existing policy that was in place barring gays altogether into law.

In addition, it was the right that was trying to block repeal when it was being passed.

So, yes, this is definitely a "right" issue.

10. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    While I understand your desire to have the military create it's own internal policy, soldiers are still citizens, and are therefore guaranteed the same constitutional rights afforded to all other citizens.

Therefore, if a group is being unfairly discriminated against by the military, Congress has every right to step in and make legislation to ensure said constitutional rights are being protected.

Now, that being said, I really didn't care too much about this issue, but I believe congress to be correct in what they did.