Unbelievable: Ron Paul Slams Civil Rights Act

He's a racist huh?

Nobody in this thread has called Ron Paul a racist (admittedly, the words "nuts" and "neanderthal" have been bandied about). People have merely noted that he criticized the Civil Rights act. It's perfectly possible for non-racists to facilitate racism. As Michael Gerson put it (Ron Paul’s quest to undo the party of Lincoln - The Washington Post)

"Whatever his personal views, Paul categorically opposes the legal construct that ended state-sanctioned racism."

This qoute, like many responses to Paul's views, is misleading demagoguery, if not an outright lie. It insinuates that Paul supports state-sanctioned racism - the opposite of his position on the Civil Rights Act. In fact, the banning of Jim Crow laws is the part of the act he agrees with and why he wouldn't consider repealing it.

What Paul is doing here, what the status quo pundits find so repugnant, is speaking up for property rights.
Paul explained that while he supports the fact that the legislation repealed the notorious Jim Crow laws, which forced racial segregation, he believes it is the government, not the people, that causes racial tensions by passing overreaching laws that institutionalize slavery and segregation. Today's race problems, he said, result from the war on drugs, the flawed U.S. court system and the military."The real problem we face today is the discrimination in our court system, the war on drugs. Just think of how biased that is against the minorities," he said. "They go into prison much way out of proportion to their numbers. They get the death penalty out of proportion with their numbers. And if you look at what minorities suffer in ordinary wars, whether there's a draft or no draft, they suffer much out of proposition. So those are the kind of discrimination that have to be dealt with, but you don't ever want to undermine the principle of private property and private choices in order to solve some of these problems."

He's questioning the assumption that its necessary, or even a good idea, to put government in charge of deciding who we must do business with or for what reasons we can decline. We can solve our problems, even intractable issues like racism, without enacting "thoughtcrime".
Black codes and Jim Crow laws were around for how many generations?

At what point were the beneficent southern people of their own accord going to actually get around to doing it on their own?

How long should it have been allowed to continue?

Right by who's standards?

Some people, many people, think that abortion is wrong. You cannot have the government legislating morality.

Right by any standards

The government legislates morality all the time.....it is called being a civilization

Forcing people by law to not act racist doesn't remove the racism.

The only thing that changed in this country since the civil rights movement was that now people just keep their racism to themselves.

We grew as a society on racial tolerance IN SPITE of the civil rights act, not because of it.

Today, if the act was repealed, and a business owner banned black patrons, that business would be lucky if it managed to stay afloat for a full week. Not only would people in the local area boycott it, but the media would pick up the story and the contempt for the business would quickly grow nationally and the business would die. And the owner would probably never be able to redeem himself.

Civil Rights laws never took away your rights to hate. You just couldn't extend your hatred to our public thoroughfares. Your business operates as a part of our society. You want to run your business in our town or our state you have to meet certain standards of conduct. If you do not want to meet those standards of conduct, you do not have to run a business in our society

We grew as a society BECAUSE of civil rights legislation. Without government intervention we would still be running our "peculiar" institutions

Last edited:
It was the republicans alone, fighting the anti civil rights democrats. Democrats may want to rewrite history today. It was democrats holding the hoses and standing in the school house doors.

I don't expect anything from Ron Paul - TODAY - to try to damage control what he did in the past. All the candidates did that. Newt Gingrich can always become a faithful husband, Ron Paul can't stop being a lunatic.
It was southern conservatives, of which many were democrats, yes.

Northern democrats, no.

No matter how you slice it they were, by and large. Southern & Conservative.

It was the republicans alone, fighting the anti civil rights democrats. Democrats may want to rewrite history today. It was democrats holding the hoses and standing in the school house doors.

I don't expect anything from Ron Paul - TODAY - to try to damage control what he did in the past. All the candidates did that. Newt Gingrich can always become a faithful husband, Ron Paul can't stop being a lunatic.

Southern Republicans did not support civil rights.......neither does Ron Paul

If given the choice of defending civil rights or defending his libertarian principles, Ron Paul is willing to sacrifice civil rights

Right by any standards

The government legislates morality all the time.....it is called being a civilization

The only thing that changed in this country since the civil rights movement was that now people just keep their racism to themselves.

We grew as a society on racial tolerance IN SPITE of the civil rights act, not because of it.

Today, if the act was repealed, and a business owner banned black patrons, that business would be lucky if it managed to stay afloat for a full week. Not only would people in the local area boycott it, but the media would pick up the story and the contempt for the business would quickly grow nationally and the business would die. And the owner would probably never be able to redeem himself.

Civil Rights laws never took away your rights to hate. You just couldn't extend your hatred to our public thoroughfares. Your business operates as a part of our society. You want to run your business in our town or our state you have to meet certain standards of conduct. If you do not want to meet those standards of conduct, you do not have to run a business in our society

We grew as a society BECAUSE of civil rights legislation. Without government intervention we would still be running our "peculiar" institutions

Society grew because of the MOVEMENT.

A movement generates interest towards ideas that were otherwise considered fringe. As more people joined the movement, the ideas grew, and more people's eyes were opened.

The same way the tea party and OWS opened people's eyes up to ideas which have grown. These 2 movements didn't need laws to force people to hate government spending, or hate wall street banks. If the idea is powerful enough, you don't need to be forced.

If given the choice of defending civil rights or defending his libertarian principles, Ron Paul is willing to sacrifice civil rights

except paul isn't a libertarian... libertarians don't think you should interfere with reproductive choice.

he's just a nutbar... and a racist/anti-semitic one, to boot.

except paul isn't a libertarian... libertarians don't think you should interfere with reproductive choice.

Can you quote me something, ANYTHING, where Paul thinks government should "interfere with reproductive choice"?

Society grew because of the MOVEMENT.

A movement generates interest towards ideas that were otherwise considered fringe. As more people joined the movement, the ideas grew, and more people's eyes were opened.

The same way the tea party and OWS opened people's eyes up to ideas which have grown. These 2 movements didn't need laws to force people to hate government spending, or hate wall street banks. If the idea is powerful enough, you don't need to be forced.

And that MOVEMENT relied on federal government intervention to enforce newly passed laws. The federal government forced integration, busing, affirmative action, voter rights

Nobody in this thread has called Ron Paul a racist (admittedly, the words "nuts" and "neanderthal" have been bandied about). People have merely noted that he criticized the Civil Rights act. It's perfectly possible for non-racists to facilitate racism. As Michael Gerson put it (Ron Paul’s quest to undo the party of Lincoln - The Washington Post)

"Whatever his personal views, Paul categorically opposes the legal construct that ended state-sanctioned racism."

This qoute, like many responses to Paul's views, is misleading demagoguery, if not an outright lie. It insinuates that Paul supports state-sanctioned racism - the opposite of his position on the Civil Rights Act. In fact, the banning of Jim Crow laws is the part of the act he agrees with and why he wouldn't consider repealing it.

What Paul is doing here, what the status quo pundits find so repugnant, is speaking up for property rights.
Paul explained that while he supports the fact that the legislation repealed the notorious Jim Crow laws, which forced racial segregation, he believes it is the government, not the people, that causes racial tensions by passing overreaching laws that institutionalize slavery and segregation. Today's race problems, he said, result from the war on drugs, the flawed U.S. court system and the military."The real problem we face today is the discrimination in our court system, the war on drugs. Just think of how biased that is against the minorities," he said. "They go into prison much way out of proportion to their numbers. They get the death penalty out of proportion with their numbers. And if you look at what minorities suffer in ordinary wars, whether there's a draft or no draft, they suffer much out of proposition. So those are the kind of discrimination that have to be dealt with, but you don't ever want to undermine the principle of private property and private choices in order to solve some of these problems."

He's questioning the assumption that its necessary, or even a good idea, to put government in charge of deciding who we must do business with or for what reasons we can decline. We can solve our problems, even intractable issues like racism, without enacting "thoughtcrime".
Black codes and Jim Crow laws were around for how many generations?

At what point were the beneficent southern people of their own accord going to actually get around to doing it on their own?

How long should it have been allowed to continue?

It shouldn't have been allowed to get started in the first place. But I think you might want to re-read. He's adamantly opposed to Jim Crow laws and state-sanctioned racism. That's the part of the Act he agrees with. Equal protection is essential to a free society.

Last edited:

We grew as a society BECAUSE of civil rights legislation. Without government intervention we would still be running our "peculiar" institutions.

Correct.

In Heart of Atlanta Motel the Court ruled that racial discrimination with regard to public accommodation adversely effected economic activity within and among the states, and Congress is authorized to regulate that activity:

We therefore conclude that the action of the Congress in the adoption of the Act as applied here to a motel which concededly serves interstate travelers is within the power granted it by the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, as interpreted by this Court for 140 years.

In addition, the notion that ‘free markets’ would have eventually addressed the ‘race problem’ is naïve and unrealistic.

Can you quote me something, ANYTHING, where Paul thinks government should "interfere with reproductive choice"?

for delusional paulians who think this idiot is a libertarian:

“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”

Abortion

you're welcome...

Northern democrats, no.

rightwingnuts hate to admit that southern dems ran to the repubs after civil rights.

which is why the southern strategy has been so successful.

for delusional paulians who think this idiot is a libertarian:

“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”

Abortion

you're welcome...

Thanks Jillian. But I think we're all well aware of Paul's position on abortion. Fortunately, he's opposed to making it a federal issue. I'd rather he were pro choice myself. That's one of a handful of issues I disagree with him on. But given that I agree with him on 85% of the issues and disagree with the other candidates on 85% of the issues, the choice if obvious.

Northern democrats, no.

rightwingnuts hate to admit that southern dems ran to the repubs after civil rights.

which is why the southern strategy has been so successful.

I always get a kick out of it when they try to pull the "but it was the Democrats who opposed the Civil Right Act" card.

No, nutjobs, it was southern racists and they fled to the GOP after it was passed.

Nice to see the truth about Paul coming out. He's elitist and racist. And, he's a liar.

OTOH, all this came out the last time he ran and it didn't seem to bother the Republicans who voted for him.

Nice to see the truth about Paul coming out. He's elitist and racist. And, he's a liar.

OTOH, all this came out the last time he ran and it didn't seem to bother the Republicans who voted for him.

I don't think of Ron Paul as a racist. I just think he is too wrapped up in his libertarian values to do what is right. He is perfectly willing to trade away civil rights, gay rights and worker rights if they conflict with his libertarian values

Ron Paul's stance on this issue is that you cannot legislate morality, and by giving special privileges or entitlements to one group you strip the rights of another.

In other words,

Paul believes that when you protect the rights of one group not to be discriminated against,

you in turn strip the right of others to discriminate.

That about it?

Northern democrats, no.

Correct, whether democratic or republican, those opposed to civil rights were conservative, then as today, it was an effort to maintain a social, economic, and political advantage.

I don't think of Ron Paul as a racist. I just think he is too wrapped up in his libertarian values to do what is right. He is perfectly willing to trade away civil rights, gay rights and worker rights if they conflict with his libertarian values.

I believe that Paul and his supporters truly believe that libertarian ‘values,’ once implemented, will result in a kind of ‘civil rights utopia,’ that state regulation, no matter how well-intended, has an inadvertently adverse effect on civil liberties.

This fails to take into consideration, however, the inherent imperfection of the various market forces libertarians would depend upon once the Constitution and its case law are removed from the equation.

To assume, for example, that the market would address the problem of a racist hotel owner who refuses to accommodate blacks by being put out of business by outraged consumers who refuse to do business with a racist business, is naïve and unrealistic. Markets were not designed to ensure the consistent application of the fundamental principles expressed by the Constitution, that the laws be applied equally.

Forum List

Back