UN: US Breached International Law Executing Mexican

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
U.S. broke international law by executing Mexican national, says U.N. - CNN.com

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., 38, was convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights says U.S. breached international law
Humberto Leal Garcia, a Mexican national, was not granted consular access
The U.S. Supreme Court denied a stay of execution
Leal was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest
(CNN) -- The United States breached international law by executing a Mexican national without having granted him consular access, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said Friday.

Navi Pillay, in a statement, said she deeply regrets the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia, after a 5-4 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court denied him a stay of execution Thursday night.

"The execution of Mr. Leal Garcia places the U.S. in breach of international law," said Pillay, who is on an official mission in Mexico. "What the state of Texas has done in this case is imputable in law to the U.S. and engages the United States' international responsibility."

Pillay said Leal was not granted consular access, which -- as a foreign national -- was his right under Article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

The denial of access raises concerns about whether Leal got a fair trial, Pillay said.

This one sort of slid by with all the hoopla about other things. But when I first read about this in the news, I REALLY thought Texas would hold up a little while to let this get worked out.

I realize there is most likely a message they wanted to send to their next door neighbor, but is this really the way?

I see plenty of Mexicans HERE that disregard OUR laws (and American lives). I think the UN needs to help stop Mexico from abusing American nationals and our border.... So, if and when the UN has a balanced view of the world and does something to help stop the illegal aliens here, perhaps We Americans would take them (the UN) seriously. What "message" is Mexico trying to send us?

Last edited:
I see plenty of Mexicans HERE that disregard OUR laws (and American lives). I think the UN needs to help stop Mexico from abusing American nationals and our border.... So, if and when the UN has a balanced view of the world and does something to help stop the illegal aliens here, perhaps We Americans would take them (the UN) seriously. What "message" is Mexico trying to send us?

I didn't say Mexico was trying to send us any message. :rolleyes:

I couldn't care less what the U.N. claims to think about Texas executing a scumbag murderer after all those years of due process rights.

Fuck the U.N. We should withdraw from that failed utopian bullshit organization.

Even if it costs the lives of Americans?

How is proper State Action -- complete with the providing of elaborate due process -- to even an illegal alien murderer going to "cost" Americans their lives?

Do you think that American prisoners being held abroad will fare better because of this?

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., 38, was convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights says U.S. breached international law
Leal was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest
(CNN) -- The United States breached international law by executing a Mexican national without having granted him consular access, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said Friday.

Navi Pillay, in a statement, said she deeply regrets the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia, after a 5-4 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court denied him a stay of execution Thursday night.

"The execution of Mr. Leal Garcia places the U.S. in breach of international law," said Pillay, who is on an official mission in Mexico. "What the state of Texas has done in this case is imputable in law to the U.S. and engages the United States' international responsibility."

Pillay said Leal was not granted consular access, which -- as a foreign national -- was his right under Article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

The denial of access raises concerns about whether Leal got a fair trial, Pillay said.

This one sort of slid by with all the hoopla about other things. But when I first read about this in the news, I REALLY thought Texas would hold up a little while to let this get worked out.

I realize there is most likely a message they wanted to send to their next door neighbor, but is this really the way?

For fucking give me. but I think this has been hashed out for years. The SCOTUS said Texas has every right to execute the man. UN and international law to not supersede our constitutional law. End of story.

For fucking give me. but I think this has been hashed out for years. The SCOTUS said Texas has every right to execute the man. UN and international law to not supersede our constitutional law. End of story.

I will bear that in mind when I hear of Americans executed abroad.

I will bear that in mind when I hear of Americans executed abroad.

Yeah I am sure they will be executed abroad BECAUSE of this Mexican's execution. Not because they hate Americans or anything.

How is proper State Action -- complete with the providing of elaborate due process -- to even an illegal alien murderer going to "cost" Americans their lives?

Do you think that American prisoners being held abroad will fare better because of this?

Do you imagine that the innocent Americans held abroad would be treated any differently if Texas said "ok, we give up. Application of our criminal laws, including the execution of murderers as sanction, shall henceforth and forevermore be reserved to citizens."

The answer to your question is that the other nations of the world who arrest our citizens for alleged crimes will go on dealing with them EXACTLY as they have been treating them precisely as though the legal execution of the late and non-lamented criminal Leal had never taken place.

Yes, it is really the way. Any Laws we are accused of violating need to be repealed. :D

Assault, Kidnapping, Rape, Torture, Mutilation, and Murder may indeed be your idea of a fun night, but not mine. The punishment was delayed far too long. Keep enabling those that defend these Predators, though, the last thing you need to apply to the formula is reason, huh. ;)

Any thoughts?

As already noted, concern for Americans arrested abroad.

No, the Court ruled the treaty would be applicable to the states per Federal legislation.

It won't change the way they're treated at all.

Yeah I am sure they will be executed abroad BECAUSE of this Mexican's execution. Not because they hate Americans or anything.
And you know this how – or is this merely subjective, unsubstantiated opinion.

Personally, I think Texas did the right thing. I don't really care what the UN thinks, says or does. They are a toothless, parasitic organization devoted to destroying American hegemony.

So the US is in violation of Int'l law? OK. What are they going to do about it? Nothing. They have no power whatsoever. NONE. Period.

It is time to de-fund the UN, sell the land in NYC, and put up a Starbucks.

Personally, I think Texas did the right thing. I don't really care what the UN thinks, says or does. They are a toothless, parasitic organization devoted to destroying American hegemony. What are they going to do about it? Nothing. They have no power whatsoever. Period.

It is time to defund the UN, sell the land in NYC, and put up a Starbucks.

There is always a danger in signing Legislation or Treaties that we have not even read or begun to understand. What came first the Individualist or the Collectivist??? :lol:

It won't change the way they're treated at all

What has led you to this conclusion?

Common sense.

IF some other nation actually gives a rat's ass about the strained interpretation of the Vienna Treaty, then they will slavishly adhere to that weird interpretation.

If, however, they don't gve a rat's ass about some international "treaty" with the U.N., then they will do whatevethefuck they normally do when they arrest a foreign national for a real or imagined crime.

Forum List

Back