UN Urges US to End Cuba Embargo

The UN is not supposed to favor anyone. Would you TRUST a ruling organization that did favor one group over another? Why act like the spoiled brat when mommy actually has to love your siblings as well?

and end the cuban embargo, dammit.

Well, that the UN rules anything is questionable. That the UN favors some is rather obvious.

Seems to me the "brats" nowadays are anyone that opposes anything the US wants to do. France and Germany come to mind as head of THAT list, with Russia a close third.

But I agree on ending the Cuban embargo. It's rather pointless.

It's about time Castro either died or left Cuba. The United States already has a plan for the death of Castro and we will drop the embargo and help Cuba tremendously once Fidel is out of the way.

It's about time Castro either died or left Cuba. The United States already has a plan for the death of Castro and we will drop the embargo and help Cuba tremendously once Fidel is out of the way.

Yes, it's about time. But until then we should not end the Cuban embargo. It is not a pointless exercise.

The whole point of the Cuban embargo is to bring democracy to Cuba by defeating the communist dictator in power. If they continue to remain communist, then we should not help them. If we lift the embargo with Castro (or a Castro clone) still in power, we are essentially condoning a totalitarian regime. Nothing will change by ending the embargo with a dictator still in power - except that he will become even more powerful as he will continue to control Cuba's people and economy.

There are good reasons why the Cuban refugees hate Castro so much. There are good reasons why so many of them risked their lives getting to our shores on little rafts and inner tubes. Instead of listening to the Hollyweird actors who junket over to Cuba because they think Castro is such a swell guy, one should listen to the real people of Cuba. Talk to the Cuban refugees in Miami and you will hear the horror stories. Even decades after Castro came to power, refugees are still escaping from Cuba and coming to the U.S.

The U.S. designated Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism in 1990.
Even though the Wasp Network was busted in 1998, Cuban espionage continues in the U.S.
Book burnings of "subversive" material (such as the U.S. Constitution) continue in Cuba.
Teachers are forced to teach Marxism.
Persecution of Christians still continues in Cuba.
Cuba is called the second biggest prison for journalists after China.
Human rights violations abound in Cuba ranging from arbitrary arrests to violent interrogations to insufficient food, clothing, and medical care to arrests of children over 9yrs old. Testimonies allege a pattern of torture in Cuba's prisons.
A rough estimate of 75,000 have been killed by Castro's regime.
The Communist Party is the only recognized party in Cuba.

I know a lot of liberals probably salute the above list…

Castro took over American properties in Cuba. He or his clones will continue to do so. He killed and imprisoned his people to control them. This continues to this day. Castro befriended the USSR and we had the Cuban Missile Crisis because Castro allowed our enemy, the Soviet Union, to base nuclear missiles in Cuba pointed directly at the U.S. from 70 miles away. Today Castro is buddies with other U.S. enemies such as Iran, Chavez, and N. Korea. Liberals are idiots to think that countries with such extreme regimes want to just "all get along".

Yes, it's about time. But until then we should not end the Cuban embargo. It is not a pointless exercise.

The whole point of the Cuban embargo is to bring democracy to Cuba by defeating the communist dictator in power. If they continue to remain communist, then we should not help them. If we lift the embargo with Castro (or a Castro clone) still in power, we are essentially condoning a totalitarian regime. Nothing will change by ending the embargo with a dictator still in power - except that he will become even more powerful as he will continue to control Cuba's people and economy.

There are good reasons why the Cuban refugees hate Castro so much. There are good reasons why so many of them risked their lives getting to our shores on little rafts and inner tubes. Instead of listening to the Hollyweird actors who junket over to Cuba because they think Castro is such a swell guy, one should listen to the real people of Cuba. Talk to the Cuban refugees in Miami and you will hear the horror stories. Even decades after Castro came to power, refugees are still escaping from Cuba and coming to the U.S.

The U.S. designated Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism in 1990.
Even though the Wasp Network was busted in 1998, Cuban espionage continues in the U.S.
Book burnings of "subversive" material (such as the U.S. Constitution) continue in Cuba.
Teachers are forced to teach Marxism.
Persecution of Christians still continues in Cuba.
Cuba is called the second biggest prison for journalists after China.
Human rights violations abound in Cuba ranging from arbitrary arrests to violent interrogations to insufficient food, clothing, and medical care to arrests of children over 9yrs old. Testimonies allege a pattern of torture in Cuba's prisons.
A rough estimate of 75,000 have been killed by Castro's regime.
The Communist Party is the only recognized party in Cuba.

I know a lot of liberals probably salute the above list…

Castro took over American properties in Cuba. He or his clones will continue to do so. He killed and imprisoned his people to control them. This continues to this day. Castro befriended the USSR and we had the Cuban Missile Crisis because Castro allowed our enemy, the Soviet Union, to base nuclear missiles in Cuba pointed directly at the U.S. from 70 miles away. Today Castro is buddies with other U.S. enemies such as Iran, Chavez, and N. Korea. Liberals are idiots to think that countries with such extreme regimes want to just "all get along".

The Bautista gov't that Castro overthrew was about as corrupt as they come, and was selling out the Mafia. There was no democracy there to begin with.

Not that I give a rat's ass about Castro, but let's be real ... China has "most favored Nation" status.:rolleyes:

The Bautista gov't that Castro overthrew was about as corrupt as they come, and was selling out the Mafia. There was no democracy there to begin with.

Not that I give a rat's ass about Castro, but let's be real ... China has "most favored Nation" status.:rolleyes:

THATS what i'm saying. Cuba's previous government wasn't much to write home about. I realize that the "hate commies" vein runs deep but there ARE cubans who would VOTE for communism once castro and his brother dies.

My question is can we swallow OUR pride and allow cuba to flourish like we are letting china grow, despite their system of government, if THAT is what the people of CUBA wants? Sure, cuban capitolists will still scream bloody murder to their miami relatives but how are they any MORE cuban than those who like communism?

There is a viable solution around here if we could get past the whole "kill the commies, Kill The Commies, KILL THE COMMIES" routine.

I've never been to Cuba but I've visited totalitarian regimes in Europe (when the Stalinists like Brehnzev were still in the Kremlin). From what I understand Castro runs a totalitarian regime. His secret police control the people. Anyone who goes against the viva Fidel, via la revolucion! line is dealt with harshly. Fidel will kick the bucket, Raoul will pick up the reins, the totalitarian regime may continue or maybe Raoul will see the emptiness of totalitarianism and begin a form of Cuban glasnost and perestroika, as did Gorbachev and gradually dismantle the regime. Maybe. Meanwhile it's up to the Cubans to decide where they go at that time. I do know threatening them only gives the totalitarians the ammuntion they need to continue.

New Topics

Forum List

Back