UN uncertainty over nuclear Iran

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Iran's track record of hiding nuclear activities means the UN cannot be sure about what Iran is doing now, the UN's nuclear watchdog has said.
The warning came from head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, as the body's governing board met in Vienna.

He reported last week that Iran was now more open about its past - but still enriched uranium in defiance of the UN.

Iran denies Western charges that it wants to develop nuclear weapons.

more ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7106796.stm

Hmmm ... :eusa_think:

Is the IAEA flip-flopping, or does DeadCanDance cherrypick his articles?:badgrin:

Gulf states are willing to set up a body to provide enriched uranium to Iran, Saudi Arabia's foreign minister is reported to have said.
Prince Saud al-Faisal told the Middle East Economic Digest (MEED) the plan could defuse Tehran's stand-off with the West over its nuclear programme.

more ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7073699.stm

And just to add some "logic" to the situation. our "ally" on the topic. :shock: :cuckoo:

Hmmm ... :eusa_think:

Is the IAEA flip-flopping, or does DeadCanDance cherrypick his articles?:badgrin:

There's really no reason to lie, to provide a counter point to me. Stick to the facts, and to the things I actually said. Rather than making sh*t up:

DeadcanDance: "A couple of outstanding issues remain, which IAEA seeks to address with Iran in the next few weeks. Having to do with increasing transparency of the entire scope and history of the iranian nuclear program. One, is if there is, or ever has been, alleged studies or research Iran has done with regard to nuclear weaponry. And two, IAEA needs further corroborations with regard to the P-1 and P-2 centrifuges and current enrichment activities, to build more confidence that there is complete tranparency and so that IAEA can determine that the program is completely civilian in nature, and there are no activites that could have military implications."

http://usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=624340&postcount=1

Gunny: The warning came from head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, as the body's governing board met in Vienna. He reported last week that Iran was now more open about its past

That's what I said days ago:

-DeadCanDance: Iran's cooperation has been mixed. Generally, Iran has provided sufficient and timely cooperation with IAEA inspectors. IAEA notes however, that the cooperation is reactive, and not proactive.

Gunny: ...but still enriched uranium in defiance of the UN.

DeadCanDance: -Iran continues to enrich uranium, in defiance of UN Security Council Resolution.

Gunny: Iran's track record of hiding nuclear activities means the UN cannot be sure about what Iran is doing now, the UN's nuclear watchdog has said. The warning came from head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, as the body's governing board met in Vienna.

DeadCanDance: A couple of outstanding issues remain, which IAEA seeks to address with Iran...Having to do with increasing transparency of the entire scope and history of the iranian nuclear program. One, is if there is, or ever has been, alleged studies or research Iran has done with regard to nuclear weaponry. And two, IAEA needs further corroborations with regard to...current enrichment activities, to build more confidence that there is complete tranparency and so that IAEA can determine that the program is completely civilian in nature, and there are no activites that could have military implications.

Gunny: Hmmm ...Is the IAEA flip-flopping, or does DeadCanDance cherrypick his articles?

Nope. No cherry picking. I said exactly what the IAEA is saying in the BBC article. You OWN article. You simply decided to imagine that I cherry picked or misled.

There's really no reason to lie, to provide a counter point to me. Stick to the facts, and to the things I actually said. Rather than making sh*t up:

Where did I lie? I merely asked a question. Are you NOT the one who keeps saying there is no evidence Iran is enriching uranium and are you NOT the one who quoted the IAEA in doing so?

All I presented are newspaper articles, and you can't even argue I chose a conservative leaning media outlet.

-DeadCanDance: Iran's cooperation has been mixed. Generally, Iran has provided sufficient and timely cooperation with IAEA inspectors. IAEA notes however, that the cooperation is reactive, and not proactive.

DeadCanDance: -Iran continues to enrich uranium, in defiance of UN Security Council Resolution.

DeadCanDance: A couple of outstanding issues remain, which IAEA seeks to address with Iran...Having to do with increasing transparency of the entire scope and history of the iranian nuclear program. One, is if there is, or ever has been, alleged studies or research Iran has done with regard to nuclear weaponry. And two, IAEA needs further corroborations with regard to...current enrichment activities, to build more confidence that there is complete tranparency and so that IAEA can determine that the program is completely civilian in nature, and there are no activites that could have military implications.

Nope. No cherry picking. I said exactly what the IAEA is saying in the BBC article. You OWN article. You simply decided to imagine that I cherry picked or misled.

Not "my" article. The BBC's. I merely posted it. In repsonse to your response I would like to ask this ...

How do you reconcile these articles with your argument that we don't know what Iran is doing, or words to that effect? And let's skip playing semantics, please. That's why the caveat "words to that effect."

I'm just trying to clarify what your argument is. Feel free to help out.

Fair enough.

The post I had on the IAEA report was entirely consistent with what the BBC report said. Right?

Okay. So if the report says Iran has enriched uranium in defiance of the UN, how does that work with the stance that Iran is only after nuclear power for energy/peaceful purposes?

Forum List

Back