UN to make defamation of islam illegal......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
U.N. rights council adopts resolution against religious defamation at Muslim prodding

GENEVA: Islamic countries pushed through a resolution at the U.N. Human Rights Council on Friday urging a global prohibition on the public defamation of religion — a response largely to the furor last year over caricatures published in a Danish newspaper of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad.

The statement proposed by the Organization of Islamic Conference addressed what it called a "campaign" against Muslim minorities and the Islamic religion around the world since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States.

The resolution, which was opposed by European and a number of other non-Muslim countries, "expresses deep concern at attempts to identify Islam with terrorism, violence and human rights violations."

It makes no mention of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism or any other religion besides Islam, but urges countries "to take resolute action to prohibit the dissemination of racist and xenophobic ideas and material aimed at any religion or its followers that constitute incitement and religious hatred, hostility, or violence."

Iran, whose President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has repeatedly called for Israel to be "wiped off the map," belongs to the 57-member Islamic conference.
Today on IHT.com
For Iraq, global recession hits at a key moment
China assails U.S. report on human rights
After huge loss, RBS closer to nationalization

The resolution was adopted by a 24-14 vote with nine abstentions. Canada, Japan and South Korea joined European countries in opposition, primarily citing its excessive focus on Islam and incompatibility with fundamental rights such as the freedoms of speech and thought.

"The problem of religious intolerance is worldwide and not limited to certain religions," said Brigitta Maria Siefker-Eberle of Germany," speaking on behalf of the 27-nation European Union.

Ghana, India, Nigeria, Zambia and some of the council's Latin American countries abstained.

There are 17 Muslim countries in the 47-nation human rights council. Their alliance with China, Cuba, Russia and most of the African members means they can almost always achieve a majority.

Human Rights Watch said the resolution could endanger the basic rights of individuals.

The document "focuses on protection of religions themselves, particularly Islam, rather than the rights of individuals, including members of religious minorities," the New York-based rights group said in a statement.

The resolution says freedom of expression "may ... be subject to limitations as provided by law and necessary for respect of the rights or reputations of others ... or morals and respect for religions and beliefs."

The council, which last year replaced the discredited U.N. Human Rights Commission, has no power beyond drawing international attention to rights issues and scrutiny of abuses in certain countries.

The move at the council was initiated last year after protests across the Islamic world drew attention to caricatures of Muhammad first printed in Danish paper Jyllands-Posten in September 2005.

One of the drawings showed Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban. Islamic law is often interpreted to forbid any depiction of the prophet for fear it could lead to idolatry.

U.N. rights council adopts resolution against religious defamation at Muslim prodding - International Herald Tribune

Now, when I saw this on the news last night, I couldn't believe it. Islam, which speaks bad about EVERY OTHER RELIGION, is now wanting to place themselves in a protected status.

Yep......just another example of domination by the "religion of pieces".

U.N. rights council adopts resolution against religious defamation at Muslim prodding

GENEVA: Islamic countries pushed through a resolution at the U.N. Human Rights Council on Friday urging a global prohibition on the public defamation of religion — a response largely to the furor last year over caricatures published in a Danish newspaper of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad.

The statement proposed by the Organization of Islamic Conference addressed what it called a "campaign" against Muslim minorities and the Islamic religion around the world since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States.

The resolution, which was opposed by European and a number of other non-Muslim countries, "expresses deep concern at attempts to identify Islam with terrorism, violence and human rights violations."

It makes no mention of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism or any other religion besides Islam, but urges countries "to take resolute action to prohibit the dissemination of racist and xenophobic ideas and material aimed at any religion or its followers that constitute incitement and religious hatred, hostility, or violence."

Iran, whose President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has repeatedly called for Israel to be "wiped off the map," belongs to the 57-member Islamic conference.
Today on IHT.com

The resolution was adopted by a 24-14 vote with nine abstentions. Canada, Japan and South Korea joined European countries in opposition, primarily citing its excessive focus on Islam and incompatibility with fundamental rights such as the freedoms of speech and thought.

"The problem of religious intolerance is worldwide and not limited to certain religions," said Brigitta Maria Siefker-Eberle of Germany," speaking on behalf of the 27-nation European Union.

Ghana, India, Nigeria, Zambia and some of the council's Latin American countries abstained.

There are 17 Muslim countries in the 47-nation human rights council. Their alliance with China, Cuba, Russia and most of the African members means they can almost always achieve a majority.

Human Rights Watch said the resolution could endanger the basic rights of individuals.

The document "focuses on protection of religions themselves, particularly Islam, rather than the rights of individuals, including members of religious minorities," the New York-based rights group said in a statement.

The resolution says freedom of expression "may ... be subject to limitations as provided by law and necessary for respect of the rights or reputations of others ... or morals and respect for religions and beliefs."

The council, which last year replaced the discredited U.N. Human Rights Commission, has no power beyond drawing international attention to rights issues and scrutiny of abuses in certain countries.

The move at the council was initiated last year after protests across the Islamic world drew attention to caricatures of Muhammad first printed in Danish paper Jyllands-Posten in September 2005.

One of the drawings showed Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban. Islamic law is often interpreted to forbid any depiction of the prophet for fear it could lead to idolatry.

U.N. rights council adopts resolution against religious defamation at Muslim prodding - International Herald Tribune

Now, when I saw this on the news last night, I couldn't believe it. Islam, which speaks bad about EVERY OTHER RELIGION, is now wanting to place themselves in a protected status.

and yet another reason why the UN is a useless Organization......

Talk about a fart in hurricane?

Of course it IS bad form to hammer other people's religions.

While many of us have been taught that, in polite society, one does not insult other's beliefs, I suspect that we all do think that other's beliefs are at best goofy, and at worst, positively evil.

Today on IHT.com

So does that mean when Muslims call other people Infidels, we can nuke em since they don't respect our beliefs? Or should we just ask for their extradition so we can chop off their heads?

Today on IHT.com

So does that mean when Muslims call other people Infidels, we can nuke em since they don't respect our beliefs? Or should we just ask for their extradition so we can chop off their heads?

yeah, let's rebuild the Twins, cut their heads off, and stick them on the antenna like a kebob.:eusa_drool:

It's high time we get out of all these globalist organizations that we go to war for to enforce resolutions before we even defend our own Constitution. Get out of the UN, The World Bank,the World Health Organization and any other organization or treaty that entangles us with the problems of others.

It's high time we get out of all these globalist organizations that we go to war for to enforce resolutions before we even defend our own Constitution. Get out of the UN, The World Bank,the World Health Organization and any other organization or treaty that entangles us with the problems of others.

sounds good to me.

Islam is not against debates or discussions regarding the tenets of each religion. It just asks that the environment be respectful. That's all. You won't find us mocking Jesus or Moses for example and that is what we ask in return, mutual respect for our beliefs..

Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knoweth, best who have strayed from His Path, and who receive guidance. (125)
Quran 16:125

Before you hypocrite fucks get too deep into your boohoo tangent.. why is itt hat you silly motherfuckers never talk about FREE SPEECH when it comes to denying the holocaust in Germany? By all means, continue to make fun of islam but at least have the fucking consistency to apply the same standard to people who are busy defacing YOUR religious affiliation. Otherwise, you are nothing more than a punchline to an unfunny joke.

I think the rest of the world wouldn't mind... those tend to be under the thumb of the powerful, in the case o fthe UN - and in the case of the IMF/World Bank they are almost proxies of the US!

If you think there should be international law - then work towards making it applicable to all nations, instead of undermining it when it doesn't suit you.

As for this religious thing - I should be able to talk about how ridiculous I think believing in God is... but I see the point of constraining the amount of the racist Islam=terrorism crap that subtle, yet pervasive vibe in communications.

I think the rest of the world wouldn't mind... those tend to be under the thumb of the powerful, in the case o fthe UN - and in the case of the IMF/World Bank they are almost proxies of the US!

If you think there should be international law - then work towards making it applicable to all nations, instead of undermining it when it doesn't suit you.

As for this religious thing - I should be able to talk about how ridiculous I think believing in God is... but I see the point of constraining the amount of the racist Islam=terrorism crap that subtle, yet pervasive vibe in communications.

I support freedom, if a person wants to be a Muslim,atheist,Jew,Christian,Hindo or whatever then that is a personal choice imho.

I support freedom, if a person wants to be a Muslim,atheist,Jew,Christian,Hindo or whatever then that is a personal choice imho.

I agree with you totally. I believe that we have been given the freedom to choose whatever religion we want. I am against killing or prosecuting people who leave Islam. If they become comfortable with any other religion, fine by me.

I agree with you totally. I believe that we have been given the freedom to choose whatever religion we want. I am against killing or prosecuting people who leave Islam. If they become comfortable with any other religion, fine by me.

Can this be said for the vast majority of Muslims?

The Harper Valley PTA accomplishes more than the UN .......

Who holds the veto power over decisions in that PTA?

867BFBDE-2335-4BA6-A7E4-6489B5A14CBD.jpg
>
ac-kofi-annan.jpg

This is a controversial issue within Islam. Some say yes, it's ok to leave Islam, others say not.
But by examining what the Quran says thoroughly, once can conclude that Islam grants everyone the right to believe in whatever he wants to believes in. And then when we meet on judgment day, we will know how was correct and who was wrong.

Egypt's Top Religious Advisor OKs Muslims Leaving Islam
Egypt’s official religious advisor said Muslims are free to change their religion – a statement that could significantly impact the status of Muslims who convert to Christianity and the county’s Christian population in general.
Wed, Jul. 25, 2007 Posted: 03:30 PM EDT

Egypt’s official religious advisor said Muslims are free to change their religion – a statement that could significantly impact the status of Muslims who convert to Christianity and the county’s Christian population in general.
“The essential question before us is ‘Can a person who is Muslim choose a religion other than Islam?’ The answer is ‘Yes, they can,’” the Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa said in a posting on a Washington Post-Newsweek forum and picked up by the Egyptian press on Tuesday, according to Agence France-Presse.
The Grand Mufti is the highest official of religious law in a Sunni Muslim country. His opinions and interpretations of Islamic law assist the government in regulating civil laws but are not binding.
“The act of abandoning one’s religion is a sin punishable by God on the Day of Judgment,” explained Gomaa, emphasizing that faith is a matter between an individual and God. “If the case in question is one of merely rejecting faith, then there is no worldly punishment.”
However, Gomaa noted that if the conversion challenged the “foundation of society” then it should go through the judicial system, though he did not elaborate.
Egypt has an estimated 10 million Coptic Christians – the Orthodox Christians of Egypt and the largest group of Christians in the Middle East.
Egypt's Top Religious Advisor OKs Muslims Leaving Islam| Christianpost.com

You know.........islamic people are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.........

They are getting pissed because the rest of the world is starting to treat them like they treat others.

Yeshua said to do that by the way, "treat others like you would treat yourself".

Only trouble is, when your theology is based on death, fear and domination, you don't really have much to treat others with.

Shit Gun........what happened to you dude? You used to be a decent person up until you decided to go all jihad against anyone that spoke bad about islam.

What? Did you, or are you now, in the process of converting?

This is a controversial issue within Islam. Some say yes, it's ok to leave Islam, others say not.
But by examining what the Quran says thoroughly, once can conclude that Islam grants everyone the right to believe in whatever he wants to believes in. And then when we meet on judgment day, we will know how was correct and who was wrong.

Egypt's Top Religious Advisor OKs Muslims Leaving Islam
Wed, Jul. 25, 2007 Posted: 03:30 PM EDT

“The essential question before us is ‘Can a person who is Muslim choose a religion other than Islam?’ The answer is ‘Yes, they can,’” the Grand Mufti Ali Gomaa said in a posting on a Washington Post-Newsweek forum and picked up by the Egyptian press on Tuesday, according to Agence France-Presse.
The Grand Mufti is the highest official of religious law in a Sunni Muslim country. His opinions and interpretations of Islamic law assist the government in regulating civil laws but are not binding.
“The act of abandoning one’s religion is a sin punishable by God on the Day of Judgment,” explained Gomaa, emphasizing that faith is a matter between an individual and God. “If the case in question is one of merely rejecting faith, then there is no worldly punishment.”
However, Gomaa noted that if the conversion challenged the “foundation of society” then it should go through the judicial system, though he did not elaborate.
Egypt has an estimated 10 million Coptic Christians – the Orthodox Christians of Egypt and the largest group of Christians in the Middle East.
Egypt's Top Religious Advisor OKs Muslims Leaving Islam| Christianpost.com

That would be a step in the right direction, but at this point, that is only one example. When you say some believe it is okay, do you mean 2%, 20%, or 95%?

That would be a step in the right direction, but at this point, that is only one example. When you say some believe it is okay, do you mean 2%, 20%, or 95%?

I really don't know. I can't tell. But what I am sure of is that this position is gaining ground by many contemporary Islamic scholars and by Muslims in general.

Forum List

Back