UN-Privatize Baseball Now. PLEEEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
More likely it is that football has far fewer games per season. If you went to half of a team's games that would be 8 games. That's only 5% of a baseball team's season. You could go to ALL of an NFL team's games, and it's still only 10% of a MLB team's season. So somebody might say gee, they went to ALL of the Buccanears games, but they only went to 10% of the Rays games (same # of games).

Also, "same" greed ? Don't check facts before you post I see. Not the same at all. Top NFL salary is Jay Cutler (Chicago bears QB) at $17 million. That's hardly more than HALF of the MLB top of Alex Rodriguez (NY Yankees) at $29 Million, and much less than MLB runnerups Zack Greinke and Cliff Lee. In fact, TWO DOZEN players in ML have higher salaries than the # 1 guy in the NFL. But don't feel bad Winter, it's the thought that counts. :itsok:

2014 NFL Top Base Salaries

List of highest paid Major League Baseball players - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2014 MLB Top Total Salaries

It is the same greed. I didn't say they paid them the same or as much. But your moaning and bitching all along has been about free agency, the owners doing things to make profits, ect ect. The NFL fits that same description.

Not quantitatively they don't, but I'm not crazy about the way the NFL is carrying on either. Or the NBA. Only reason I'm so up in arms at MLB, that was brought on by the Price fiasco. Feel better now ? :itsok:

It's funny, when I quote dollar amounts you scream about it being the greedy, money-changer mentality ect ect, and that it doesn't matter. But when it suits you, the dollar amounts matter.

Yes, I have known all along that you are pissed because they traded your hero. I don't care of you have some sort of fantasy bromance with Price, your ideas for a gov't takeover of MLB and putting the salary cap at $300k is ridiculous.

It is the same greed. I didn't say they paid them the same or as much. But your moaning and bitching all along has been about free agency, the owners doing things to make profits, ect ect. The NFL fits that same description.

Not quantitatively they don't, but I'm not crazy about the way the NFL is carrying on either. Or the NBA. Only reason I'm so up in arms at MLB, that was brought on by the Price fiasco. Feel better now ? :itsok:

It's funny, when I quote dollar amounts you scream about it being the greedy, money-changer mentality ect ect, and that it doesn't matter. But when it suits you, the dollar amounts matter.

Yes, I have known all along that you are pissed because they traded your hero. I don't care of you have some sort of fantasy bromance with Price, your ideas for a gov't takeover of MLB and putting the salary cap at $300k is ridiculous.

You've said that now, what ? 10 times ? 15 ? Just the first time you said it, got us to know your opinion on it. Never was even a need for the second one, much less the 10th. Oh, I forgot. You're a harasser/troll. That's right. :eusa_whistle:

You've said that now, what ? 10 times ? 15 ? Just the first time you said it, got us to know your opinion on it. Never was even a need for the second one, much less the 10th. Oh, I forgot. You're a harasser/troll. That's right. :eusa_whistle:

Do you really want to start looking at how many times you said the same thing?

Yes, I said it before. You ranted and raved that it was some sort of money-changers conspiracy and didn't matter. Suddenly you act as though you accept it and I shouldn't repeat it??

You can flipflop with the best of them. But will you ask the mods to close this thread like you did the last time you flipflopped?

Yes, I said it before. You ranted and raved that it was some sort of money-changers conspiracy and didn't matter. Suddenly you act as though you accept it and I shouldn't repeat it??

You can flipflop with the best of them. But will you ask the mods to close this thread like you did the last time you flipflopped?

Try again. I don't understand unintelligble babbling. Your post doesn't make sense. I have no idea what you just said. What flip flop ? When ?

Last edited:
:eusa_hand:

Try again. I don't understand unintelligble babbling. Your post doesn't make sense. I have no idea what you just said. What flip flop ? When ?

When have you flipflopped and asked a mod to close the thread? When have you changed your tune from condemnation to sympathy and the had the thread closed?

Huge salaries, which make ticket prices rise, are the problem with MLB.

When half the seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium are empty when the Red Sox are there, there is something wrong.

Correct. And this is a big part of the money-hustle culture that has taken over the game. And besides the ticket prices, are also much too-high prices for food, parking, souveniers, etc. The whole thing has turned into a rich people's thing.

And a corporate thing, buying up blocks of seats and sky-boxes, which go unused half the time. Which sucks for the vendors, who work on commission, basically.

I lived in Atlanta in the early 80s and used to go to Braves games all the time, because it was only a couple of bucks to get in, for the cheap seats. Which allows you some money for concessions, parking, souvenirs, etc. Now a family of four is spending $100 just on parking and concessions. Souvenirs are outrageous, and home plate section tickets at Yankee Stadium are between $680-$1600.

With so many choices for your entertainment dollar, MLB is not a lot of bang for the buck.

In three weeks no one will care.

The NFL regular season will be under way.

You should consider putting this thread in the comedy forum.

This is some funny shit. :lol:

Yeah ? What's so funny about it ? I don't think it's funny. I'm pissed off about it. I just wish there was somebody's fucking ass I could kick about it, and I'd kick it but good!! :mad:

You want to know what has hurt baseball? Options and preferences.

When baseball was at its greatest time, there were few other sports. Now the NFL is huge and many people only watch baseball until football season starts.

People prefer football over baseball. And there are so many other options for our entertainment dollar, fewer and fewer people want to watch baseball. It is never going to be as popular as it was.

Now go kick your own ass for being a whiner.

I see you beat me to it as to choices. But while it is never going to be as popular as it was, it could be a helluva lot more popular than it is currently. And one of the ways is to make it affordable again for families. Because kids love to go to the stadium!

I feel the same way about golf, only more strongly. The current woes in the golf world can be cured by volume. In my area, the cheapest 18 hole course is $33. Most of them are $45-$70. In order to enjoy golf you have to play golf regularly. I do not want to spend over $200 a month to play once a week. If it was $12, I would play at least once a week. And so would a hell of a lot of other people who have abandoned it as a regular hobby. And it would be affordable to, say, teach your son or daughter.

When baseball was at its greatest time, there were few other sports. Now the NFL is huge and many people only watch baseball until football season starts.

People prefer football over baseball. And there are so many other options for our entertainment dollar, fewer and fewer people want to watch baseball. It is never going to be as popular as it was.

NO, I don't want to know what has hurt baseball. :D Because I ALREADY know. And it is exactly what I've been talking about in this thread since the OP. It is the 1994 MLB player's strike, the spoiled brat attitudes of pampered, overpaid players, free agency, things like the Price drop (notice I don't call it a "trade"), overinflated ticket prices, parking prices, concession prices, and the whole anti-fan, greed freak management of it.

In 2014, 35 percent of fans call the NFL their favorite sport, followed by Major League Baseball (14 percent), college football (11 percent), auto racing (7 percent), the NBA (6 percent), the NHL (5 percent) and college basketball (3 percent).

In 1985, the first year the poll was taken, the NFL bested MLB by just one percentage point (24 to 23 percent), but since then interest in baseball has fallen while the NFL has experienced a huge rise in popularity.

Nine percent fewer fans call baseball their favorite sport over the 30-year span, the biggest drop of any sport. The polling numbers suggest that the sport hasn't been able to recover from a popularity standpoint from 1994, when a strike forced the cancellation of the World Series. And it has just continued sinking ever since, for the same basic reason > Greed freak baseball.

Harris Poll -- NFL still most popular; MLB 2nd - ESPN

Bullshit. The NFL is run the same way and has the same "greed" you hate so much. And yet it is more popular than ever.

More likely it is that football has more action to watch.

But football players don't get the $20 million per year contracts that Jeter, Puhols, ARod, etc. get, do they? Yet their sport is much more profitable, I am assuming, than MLB.

As to the action, someone did a study, and if you count all the time in between plays, it's about even with baseball.

Yeah ? What's so funny about it ? I don't think it's funny. I'm pissed off about it. I just wish there was somebody's fucking ass I could kick about it, and I'd kick it but good!! :mad:

I see you beat me to it as to choices. But while it is never going to be as popular as it was, it could be a helluva lot more popular than it is currently. And one of the ways is to make it affordable again for families. Because kids love to go to the stadium!

I feel the same way about golf, only more strongly. The current woes in the golf world can be cured by volume. In my area, the cheapest 18 hole course is $33. Most of them are $45-$70. In order to enjoy golf you have to play golf regularly. I do noice t want to spend over $200 a month to play once a week. If it was $12, I would play at least once a week. And so would a hell of a lot of other people who have abandoned it as a regular hobby. And it would be affordable to, say, teach your son or daughter.

Golf courses are not for teaching. That is what driving ranges are for. A big bucket of balls is cheap. Many have realistic chipping and putting surfaces to practice on as well. Here in Seattle most ranges also have a couple of actual sand traps to practice in also with a putting green nearby to practice sand shots to a flag.

Golf courses are meant for actual competition and fast play. Sometimes in mid week you can get a tee off time early in the morning and have some leeway to practice or teach. If they see you hitting extra balls though they may send out a course employee to tell you to knock it off.

I feel the same way about golf, only more strongly. The current woes in the golf world can be cured by volume. In my area, the cheapest 18 hole course is $33. Most of them are $45-$70. In order to enjoy golf you have to play golf regularly. I do noice t want to spend over $200 a month to play once a week. If it was $12, I would play at least once a week. And so would a hell of a lot of other people who have abandoned it as a regular hobby. And it would be affordable to, say, teach your son or daughter.

Golf courses are not for teaching. That is what driving ranges are for. A big bucket of balls is cheap. Many have realistic chipping and putting surfaces to practice on as well. Here in Seattle most ranges also have a couple of actual sand traps to practice in also with a putting green nearby to practice sand shots to a flag.

Golf courses are meant for actual competition and fast play. Sometimes in mid week you can get a tee off time early in the morning and have some leeway to practice or teach. If they see you hitting extra balls though they may send out a course employee to tell you to knock it off.
I don't know what you're talking about, HUGGY. I didn't suggest practicing shots on the course. I said that the only way to get better is to play regularly. You can't get that from the driving range or the practice greens. Those are just for warming up.

And I definitely try different things when I'm playing, like a bounce wedge shot rather than a straight pitching wedge.

When have you flipflopped and asked a mod to close the thread? When have you changed your tune from condemnation to sympathy and the had the thread closed?

That's what I'm asking YOU WinterBorn. And when I asked you, instead of answering, you ask me the question which I asked you. HA HA. You may now proceed with the answer (if you have one) :lol:

Huge salaries, which make ticket prices rise, are the problem with MLB.

When half the seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium are empty when the Red Sox are there, there is something wrong.

Correct. And this is a big part of the money-hustle culture that has taken over the game. And besides the ticket prices, are also much too-high prices for food, parking, souveniers, etc. The whole thing has turned into a rich people's thing.

And a corporate thing, buying up blocks of seats and sky-boxes, which go unused half the time. Which sucks for the vendors, who work on commission, basically.

I lived in Atlanta in the early 80s and used to go to Braves games all the time, because it was only a couple of bucks to get in, for the cheap seats. Which allows you some money for concessions, parking, souvenirs, etc. Now a family of four is spending $100 just on parking and concessions. Souvenirs are outrageous, and home plate section tickets at Yankee Stadium are between $680-$1600.

With so many choices for your entertainment dollar, MLB is not a lot of bang for the buck.

Everyone I know who is still a MLB fan, watches the games on TV, NEVER goes to the ballpark, and buys their souveneirs in WalMart. Been that way for 20 years now. In some cities, maybe longer.

And the vendors. Another victim. Good point.

Last edited:

That's what I'm asking YOU WinterBorn. And when I asked you, instead of answering, you ask me the question which I asked you. HA HA. You may now proceed with the answer (if you have one) :lol:

I did answer. I reminded you of your recent flipflop in a thread, and then you asked the mods to close it. Surely your dementia hasn't gotten so bad you forgot that quickly.

And, as you have shown in this thread, just because a question is asked does not mean an answer is coming. I recall asking a question numerous times, but you refused to answer.

I did answer. I reminded you of your recent flipflop in a thread, and then you asked the mods to close it. Surely your dementia hasn't gotten so bad you forgot that quickly.

And, as you have shown in this thread, just because a question is asked does not mean an answer is coming. I recall asking a question numerous times, but you refused to answer.

This is the third time I'm asking you, WB. If you swing and miss again, you've struck out. So once again, what is this so-called flipflop you allude to ? And while we're at it, what is this question you asked that I didn't answer ? LOL.

Last edited:

This is the third time I'm asking you, WB. If you swing and miss again, you've struck out. So once again, what is this so-called flipflop you allude to ? And while we're at it, what is this question you asked that I didn't answer ? LOL.

To be fair, you insisted there was an answer in the OP. There was not. And still you refused to give me a straight answer.

As for the flipflop, since admitting that is difficult for you, how many threads have you asked the mods to close recently?

To be fair, you insisted there was an answer in the OP. There was not. And still you refused to give me a straight answer.

As for the flipflop, since admitting that is difficult for you, how many threads have you asked the mods to close recently?

To be fair, do you know how to speak English to make yourself understood ?...or is this some kind of doubletalk in which not being understood is the goal ? Again, I have no idea what the hell you're saying. Answer in the OP ? Answer to what ? I insisted what ?

As for the flipflop, looks like you struck out on that one. I gave you 3 chances to explain that. You didn't.

So, now I must say, I haven't been ignoring you WB (although I certainly should be :lol:). I've just been very preoccupied, in all the posting on the Michael Brown shooting, and responding to all the idiots who claim that he was murdered, while having not a shred of evidence to support that. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back