UN Plans Drones In Congo Peacekeeping Mission

Discussion in 'Africa' started by emptystep, Jan 9, 2013.

1. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I am working on a writeup summarizing a House Arms Services committee meeting held December 19th. I have some editing to do before I post it.

I saw this just now while looking up something else. I want to put this out there. Maybe some people can comment on it.

UN Plans Drones In Congo Peacekeeping Mission

One of the main issues, if not the main issue is the situation with the UN peacekeeping force in Eastern Congo.

One of the panel members was Ben Affleck of the Eastern Congo Initiative and yes, also the actor/producer/director. He told the story of when he was in the Congo shooting some video at the request of somewhere there. He was wearing his UN badge around his neck. People were really hostile towards him. He decided it was possibly unsafe to be there and so he took off his badge and was preparing to go. People saw him and asked where he was from. He said America. Suddenly everyone was happy to see him and very friendly. My point? The people of eastern Congo hate the UN. Giving them drones is a very bad idea. All four of the panel members agreed that the UN mission in eastern Congo has been a failure.

I will give a more elaborate description of the committee meeting as soon as I finish up.

2. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Still working on getting the other thread ready. I figured if I dedicated this thread to Monusco there would less in the next thread.

Congo: How U.N. Peacekeeping Force Monusco Has Failed a Nation | TIME.com
    At 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 20, one of the few tanks belonging to the M23 rebels of eastern Congo fired a single round into the international airport on the outskirts of Goma, the second biggest city in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The townspeople, who looked up to see the first of 1,000 or so guerrillas marching on the city, began walking and running toward the city center, carrying their children and anything else they could. After a short while they were overtaken — by two large trucks packed with foreign soldiers from the U.N. peacekeeping force for Congo, Monusco. Mandated to protect Congo’s civilians, with 19,000 men in uniform and costing $1.4 billion a year, the world’s biggest and most expensive peacekeeping operation was literally leaving its charges in its dust. Later in the day Monusco, far better armed and more numerous than the rebels, simply stood and watched as the M23 — easterners who oppose the central government in Kinshasa — took Goma almost without firing a shot. France called Monusco’s conduct “absurd.” The Congolese were less forgiving. Across the east of the country, angry mobs surrounded U.N. positions, threw stones at aid workers and burned U.N. compounds. Asked what they thought of Monusco, a group of young men standing by the shore of Lake Kivu in Goma cried out in unison: “Useless.” Amani Muchumu, 18, had a message for the peacekeepers. “You could not defend us,” he declared. “You are dismissed.”

Read more: Congo: How U.N. Peacekeeping Force Monusco Has Failed a Nation | TIME.com

[​IMG]
    A United Nations (U.N.) peacekeepers' armoured vehicle drives past Congolese Revolution Army (CRA) rebels patrolling a street in Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), soon after capturing the city from the government army, Nov. 20, 2012.

Read more: Congo: How U.N. Peacekeeping Force Monusco Has Failed a Nation | TIME.com

3. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The U.S. military is doing a thousand times better job with a fraction, a very small fraction, of the cost and not putting American lives in harms way. If we are going to give anyone intel drones give them to our people.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    There's nothing "Peacekeeping" about the US Military deploying to 35 different countries in AfriCom. Oh you didn't know the US Military HAD an Africom?

The cover story is 'searching for KONY" who hasn't even been seen in 5-6 years but that deserves it's own thread.

See, China is busy building up Africa's Infrastructure using all that money the West sent them buying all those cheap Chinese Lead Toys. Seems China's influence is greater than the US. As it should be because the Chinese aren't flying drones and firing missiles into funeral processions to kill a single "suspect terrorist" and 20 others who had the misfortune of being too close.

What the US is setting up are Military Units that can later be used to undermine African countries leaders like they doing in the Middle East. Hey man, gotta' keep that Military Industrial Complex running to support US Empire right?

We can only hope the US Dollar collapses before all that happens.

5. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Sorry still working on editing.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,875
    Granny says, "Dat's right - send in the drones, kill all dem terrorists...
    :clap2:
    US Supports UN Surveillance Drones For Eastern Congo
    January 09, 2013 - U.S. officials say Washington supports the request of United Nations peacekeepers to use surveillance drones in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  7. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    What the heck good are drones are going to do the UN. As I posted in the 2nd post the problem is not them being able to see the enemy. It is that they don't do anything when they do.

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    There aren't any Terrorists in Africa unless the US sends them there like they did in the Middle East.

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,875
    UN wantin' to go into Congo with peacekeeping force...
    :clap2:
    UN Seeking Stronger Mandate for Congo Force
    January 25, 2013 - The United Nations says it wants to set up a peacekeeping unit in the Democratic Republic of Congo that will have a stronger mandate to take on armed groups.
    See also:

UN 'plans to fight rebels in DRC'
    25 January 2013 - The UN wants to set up an intervention force to fight rebels fuelling conflict in DR Congo, says a UN official.

10. emptystep

emptystep VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Sounds pretty good. I hope the UN has the same mindset of Barbara Plett and the author of the VOA article. Extremely insightful assessment.

Much thanks for the post.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013