UN Palestinian refugee agency 'part of the problem': Swiss foreign minister

rylah

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees is fuelling "unrealistic" hopes of return after 70 years of exodus and is therefore helping keep the Mideast conflict alive, Switzerland's foreign minister has said. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) was established after the war surrounding Israel's creation in 1948, when around 700,000 Palestinians fled or were expelled.

1611066-image-1516182147.jpg

But Swiss Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis pointed out that the number of Palestinian refugees living in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, the West Bank and Gaza has swelled to more than five million.

"It is unrealistic that this dream (of return) will be fulfilled for all," he said in an interview given to several German-language papers owned by the Swiss NZZ group and published on Thursday.

"But UNRWA maintains this hope. For me, the question is whether UNRWA is part of the solution or part of the problem," he said, concluding that "it is both".
The UN agency, he said, "worked as a solution for a long time, but today it has become part of the problem."

Fuelling the conflict?

"It provides ammunition to continue the conflict. For as long as Palestinians live in refugee camps, they will want to return to their homeland," he said.
"By supporting UNRWA, we are keeping the conflict alive..."

He said for instance that "instead of supporting UNRWA schools and hospitals, we could help the Jordanian institutions promote integration of Palestinian refugees."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: A striking slap to the concept of "forever refugee " as well as the labeling of the future solution. Although Switzerland is a small country and does not belong to a political bloc (it is not European), it has a solid and influential position. It should be remembered that the world spent more money on Palestinians than on Germany after World War II. And there's nothing the Swiss hate more than wasting money.

THE ALTERNATIVE - "instead of supporting UNRWA schools and hospitals, we could help the Jordanian institutions promote integration of Palestinian refugees."

Q.How can those countries help them integrate,
what are the benefits, challenges and the steps to integration?

Last edited:

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees is fuelling "unrealistic" hopes of return after 70 years of exodus and is therefore helping keep the Mideast conflict alive, Switzerland's foreign minister has said. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) was established after the war surrounding Israel's creation in 1948, when around 700,000 Palestinians fled or were expelled.

1611066-image-1516182147.jpg

But Swiss Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis pointed out that the number of Palestinian refugees living in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, the West Bank and Gaza has swelled to more than five million.

"It is unrealistic that this dream (of return) will be fulfilled for all," he said in an interview given to several German-language papers owned by the Swiss NZZ group and published on Thursday.

"But UNRWA maintains this hope. For me, the question is whether UNRWA is part of the solution or part of the problem," he said, concluding that "it is both".
The UN agency, he said, "worked as a solution for a long time, but today it has become part of the problem."

Fuelling the conflict?

"It provides ammunition to continue the conflict. For as long as Palestinians live in refugee camps, they will want to return to their homeland," he said.
"By supporting UNRWA, we are keeping the conflict alive..."

He said for instance that "instead of supporting UNRWA schools and hospitals, we could help the Jordanian institutions promote integration of Palestinian refugees."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: A striking slap to the concept of "forever refugee " as well as the labeling of the future solution. Although Switzerland is a small country and does not belong to a political bloc (it is not European), it has a solid and influential position. It should be remembered that the world spent more money on Palestinians than on Germany after World War II. And there's nothing the Swiss hate more than wasting money.

THE ALTERNATIVE - "instead of supporting UNRWA schools and hospitals, we could help the Jordanian institutions promote integration of Palestinian refugees."

Q.How can those countries help them integrate,
what are the benefits, challenges and the steps to integration?

"Palestinian refugees..."

- How can those countries help them integrate,
- what are the benefits, challenges and the steps to integration?

"integration"

unfortunately, the first step is usually:

Refugee camps. that abbas -- it's his fault that this place still exists. i bet his wardrobe of suits come first....... where's that hamass street crew ?

can they pencil in some time to..."make improvements" in the refugee camp.

Swiss FM questions UNRWA’s role in aiding Palestinians
Ignazio Cassis reiterates that Palestinian UN agency 'part of the problem,' says his country should debate foreign funding projects

Switzerland’s new foreign minister said the international community should decide whether the UN refugee agency for Palestinians has become a “state within a state,” and questioned whether the Swiss should continue to help funding it.

In what critics call a break from vaunted Swiss neutrality, Ignazio Cassis doubled down on comments he made earlier this month that UNRWA had strayed too far from its original mandate to help Palestinians refugees temporarily.

Cassis brushed off backlash sparked by his comments. “What I said, I said after a long discussion with the director general of UNRWA, so I spoke with full knowledge of the facts,” he told RTS.

After visiting Jordan earlier this month, Cassis said that UNRWA was once part of the solution, but has become “part of the problem” in the Middle East.

screen.jpg

Swiss FM questions UNRWA’s role in aiding Palestinians
Ignazio Cassis reiterates that Palestinian UN agency 'part of the problem,' says his country should debate foreign funding projects

Switzerland’s new foreign minister said the international community should decide whether the UN refugee agency for Palestinians has become a “state within a state,” and questioned whether the Swiss should continue to help funding it.

In what critics call a break from vaunted Swiss neutrality, Ignazio Cassis doubled down on comments he made earlier this month that UNRWA had strayed too far from its original mandate to help Palestinians refugees temporarily.

Cassis brushed off backlash sparked by his comments. “What I said, I said after a long discussion with the director general of UNRWA, so I spoke with full knowledge of the facts,” he told RTS.

After visiting Jordan earlier this month, Cassis said that UNRWA was once part of the solution, but has become “part of the problem” in the Middle East.

screen.jpg

"With Allah's (GOD's) help, I will fight for ISIS, the Islamic State"

ISIS HEADQUARTERS

It's not God's way. They're just a bunch of crazy people. A sick ideology that only evil-minded people live-by. The poor kid. ... Brainwashed. He can be helped. it's not to late. The muslim world [saud arabia - why don't you find this kid and help him, you, you...YOU FAKES] . fake is better than....#@!$%.

Forum List

Back