UN Nuclear Negotiator Murdered?

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
British nuclear expert dies in 40-metre plunge; General News; Austrian Times

Police are investigating after a British nuclear energy expert involved in negotiations with Iran over its nuclear programme fell 40 metres to his death from a UN building in Vienna.

Officials announced today (Weds) that the man – named as Timothy Hampton – died on the spot yesterday after a fall from the 17th floor at Vienna International Centre (VIC), one of the United Nations’ (UN) main headquarters along with New York, Nairobi and Geneva.

Authorities said the 47-year-old man – a member of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) – had joined the UN’s current talks with Iran over its nuclear programme.
High-level UN negotiators, and nuclear science experts, do not randomly commit suicide, especially at a UN HQ.

I'll bet money that he was murdered, murdered by someone affiliated with Iran. This is ominous...

Police are investigating after a British nuclear energy expert involved in negotiations with Iran over its nuclear programme fell 40 metres to his death from a UN building in Vienna.

Officials announced today (Weds) that the man – named as Timothy Hampton – died on the spot yesterday after a fall from the 17th floor at Vienna International Centre (VIC), one of the United Nations’ (UN) main headquarters along with New York, Nairobi and Geneva.

Authorities said the 47-year-old man – a member of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) – had joined the UN’s current talks with Iran over its nuclear programme.
High-level UN negotiators, and nuclear science experts, do not randomly commit suicide, especially at a UN HQ.

I'll bet money that he was murdered, murdered by someone affiliated with Iran. This is ominous...

Wow. I would lay good money on murder, too.

Wow. I would lay good money on murder, too.

I would agree...but I'm not going to wager any money. I don't think that the return on the investment would be significant mainly due to the fact that probably there is no one else betting. Plus, I'm not sure if Vegas has posted odds on it.

Negoiating with the Iranians would drive most people mad. Working for the UN IS madness. The sign over the door said exit, the rest is history and theory at this point.

OH SHIT!!!

Without Mr. Hampton as a nuclear inspector, Iran's nuclear program will now run unchecked!!!
The question is why would they kill him? What would they gain, as the UN is pretty much unable to stop them?

My guess is that they are very close to getting the bomb, and this particular man was starting to making noise about it. It won't do Iran any good letting the world know it has the bomb, until it has many bombs.

Why?

Because if word gets out that Iran has just one or two bombs, it will guarantee an Israeli declaration of war...which would be bad for Iran, as their few nuclear weapons could be destroyed in the initial conflict. If they didn't announce that they had nuclear weapons until they had far too many weapons for Israel to destroy at once, it would prevent an Israeli first strike.

Of course, this is just speculation...we'll find out the truth, soon enough.

Last edited:
Because if word gets out that Iran has just one or two bombs, it will guarantee an Israeli declaration of war...which would be bad for Iran, as their few nuclear weapons could be destroyed in the initial conflict. If they didn't announce that they had nuclear weapons until they had far too many weapons for Israel to destroy at once, it would prevent an Israeli first strike.

Nuclear weapons are expensive to maintain, not just make. Iran lacks the ability to either manufacture many or maintain them. The reason old Soviet weapons are now Duds is they have not been maintained in the intervening years. The same will happen if Iran makes some monumental effort and gets, say six. They'll be a threat for a while, but they won't be able to keep it going.

Having said that, I doubt the leaders of Iran have read much on modern physics, so they may think differently. How sad for the youth of Iran who will be burdened with the cost after the old religious regime fades.

Nuclear weapons are expensive to maintain, not just make. Iran lacks the ability to either manufacture many or maintain them. The reason old Soviet weapons are now Duds is they have not been maintained in the intervening years. The same will happen if Iran makes some monumental effort and gets, say six. They'll be a threat for a while, but they won't be able to keep it going.

Having said that, I doubt the leaders of Iran have read much on modern physics, so they may think differently. How sad for the youth of Iran who will be burdened with the cost after the old religious regime fades.
I am wondering on what you base your post. I see nothing supporting it at all, just some claims that seem to be based on nothing of substance.

I am wondering on what you base your post. I see nothing supporting it at all, just some claims that seem to be based on nothing of substance.
Do you want me to quote relevant sections from a textboook? Radioactive material decays, it is the nature of it. Energetic radioactive material, including weapon grade plutonium, decays relatively quickly. Look up the decay rates if you doubt me. I'm sure you can Google it easily. Once you know the decay rate and the failure point, when there is insufficient material remaining to create a chain reaction, then you can calculate the interval before the weapon is relatively useless.

OH SHIT!!!

Without Mr. Hampton as a nuclear inspector, Iran's nuclear program will now run unchecked!!!
The question is why would they kill him? What would they gain, as the UN is pretty much unable to stop them?

My guess is that they are very close to getting the bomb, and this particular man was starting to making noise about it. It won't do Iran any good letting the world know it has the bomb, until it has many bombs.

Why?

Me bet is the guy had integrity and he wasn't going to change his report for anything.

Do you want me to quote relevant sections from a textboook? Radioactive material decays, it is the nature of it. Energetic radioactive material, including weapon grade plutonium, decays relatively quickly. Look up the decay rates if you doubt me. I'm sure you can Google it easily. Once you know the decay rate and the failure point, when there is insufficient material remaining to create a chain reaction, then you can calculate the interval before the weapon is relatively useless.
No need to reference a textbook on radioactivity, but I do suggest you actually read one that includes a bit about nuclear weapons, not just radioactivity. But do pay attention to the radioactivity section, too. (The half life of U235 is about 700 million years and that of Pu239 is about 24K years.) I suggest you read the papers, too as Iran is currently enriching uranium. They are not yet close to producing enough plutonium for a weapon.

Soviet nuclear weapons are not duds. LOL.

Iranian scientists are quite capable. Several are educated here and return, and even those who are educated in Iran are good quality.

Last edited:

See Si Modo's posts regarding the lifespan of nuclear warheads. Also, why do you think oil-rich Iran wouldn't have the money to develop an arsenal?

See Si Modo's posts regarding the lifespan of nuclear warheads. Also, why do you think oil-rich Iran wouldn't have the money to develop an arsenal?
Si Modo's post was enlightening, I had not looked at the specific lifetimes before as I won't work on weapons development, I just recalled a discussion with a friend who had spoken of the constant checking which went into maintaining warheads. She's currently unavailable so do you know why it is so difficult/expensive to keep warhead functioning? Is it aging of electronic components, deterioration of the conventional explosives, or some other issue?
Note that the "they've got a lot of money argument" could also be applied to Mexico, which shares a border with the USA. Money is only part of the equation, and as you noted their oil money could be easily disrupted by a US blockade. Perhaps though Israel should investigate if, as has been claimed, they are the primary target.
How far would a missile launched in Iran have to travel to strike the continental US? How long do their current leaders have before today's youth become tomorrow's leaders and relegate the old religious order to the dustbin of history? Once that happens Iran might again become the modern democracy it was before a US sponsored coup put the Shaw in power.

OH SHIT!!!

Why?

Me bet is the guy had integrity and he wasn't going to change his report for anything.

That's what I've been thinking also. We're on the same page.

The war dogs who lied us into Iraq will stop at nothing to lie us into war in Iran also. There have been so many reports stating and showing that there is no nuclear arms production that they have probably decided that the best way to move forward is to make an example out of someone who stands behind his work. If you stand in the way of the empire, you're gonna get rolled. This guy learned the hard way.

Forum List

Back