UN inspectors: Saddam shipped out WMD before war and after

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_1.html

UN inspectors: Saddam shipped out WMD before war and after

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Friday, June 11, 2004

The United Nations has determined that Saddam Hussein shipped weapons of mass destruction components as well as medium-range ballistic missiles before, during and after the U.S.-led war against Iraq in 2003.

The UN Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission briefed the Security Council on new findings that could help trace the whereabouts of Saddam's missile and WMD program.

The briefing contained satellite photographs that demonstrated the speed with which Saddam dismantled his missile and WMD sites before and during the war. Council members were shown photographs of a ballistic missile site outside Baghdad in May 2003, and then saw a satellite image of the same location in February 2004, in which facilities had disappeared.

UNMOVIC acting executive chairman Demetrius Perricos told the council on June 9 that "the only controls at the borders are for the weight of the scrap metal, and to check whether there are any explosive or radioactive materials within the scrap," Middle East Newsline reported.

"It's being exported," Perricos said after the briefing. "It's being traded out. And there is a large variety of scrap metal from very new to very old, and slowly, it seems the country is depleted of metal."

"The removal of these materials from Iraq raises concerns with regard to proliferation risks," Perricos told the council. Perricos also reported that inspectors found Iraqi WMD and missile components shipped abroad that still contained UN inspection tags.

He said the Iraqi facilities were dismantled and sent both to Europe and around the Middle East. at the rate of about 1,000 tons of metal a month. Destionations included Jordan, the Netherlands and Turkey.

The Baghdad missile site contained a range of WMD and dual-use components, UN officials said. They included missile components, reactor vessel and fermenters – the latter required for the production of chemical and biological warheads.

"It raises the question of what happened to the dual-use equipment, where is it now and what is it being used for," Ewen Buchanan, Perricos's spokesman, said. "You can make all kinds of pharmaceutical and medicinal products with a fermenter. You can also use it to breed anthrax."

The UNMOVIC report said Iraqi missiles were dismantled and exported to such countries as Jordan, the Netherlands and Turkey. In the Dutch city of Rotterdam, an SA-2 surface-to-air missile, one of at least 12, was discovered in a junk yard, replete with UN tags. In Jordan, UN inspectors found 20 SA-2 engines as well as components for solid-fuel for missiles.

"The problem for us is that we don't know what may have passed through these yards and other yards elsewhere," Buchanan said. "We can't really assess the significance and don't know the full extent of activity that could be going on there or with others of Iraq's neighbors."

UN inspectors have assessed that the SA-2 and the short-range Al Samoud surface-to-surface missile were shipped abroad by agents of the Saddam regime. Buchanan said UNMOVIC plans to inspect other sites, including in Turkey.

In April, International Atomic Energy Agency director-general Mohammed El Baradei said material from Iraqi nuclear facilities were being smuggled out of the country.

DAMN---we need to form a coalition to find these and then ask the UN if its ok with them. Maybe poll everyone in Europe too!

Damn, looks like we were wrong. Everyone told us just to give it more time.

Now the next thing we need to do is ask the French for permission to investigate where this stuff went. Then again, maybe we'd better ask the Germans, because there's a distinct possibility that the French are holding this stuff for Hussein - just in case he's found not guilty.

Slowly but surely, we are being proven right. All those that said, nay, SCREAMED "Bush Lied" are looking more and more like the ignorant fools that they are. When all the files, searches, interviews, etc have been completed, it will paint a clear picture of just how truthful Bush was in his initial speech FOR the war.

The stories on the scrap metal have been coming out for the past month and a half or so. Two this week, Netherlands and I think Jordan.

Did anyone really doubt he had these? I mean the libs and UN were glad we weren't finding them, but their existence? I don't think was in doubt. Even Blix the Blind knew they were there after '93. C'mon. Saddam just was taking a beating to come out afterwards at a trial, if he lived, and say, "Ha ha, we fooled you." Unlikely.

Well, if this story is true it should be easily proven because I would hope they followed the line of trucks into whatever country they went to. Unless of course they just snapped photos of the site, in which case it is just more duel-use evidence.

This question can't be answered yet, but if Saddam had the weapons, why would he choose to hide them instead of using them on Americans?

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Well, if this story is true it should be easily proven because I would hope they followed the line of trucks into whatever country they went to. Unless of course they just snapped photos of the site, in which case it is just more duel-use evidence.

This question can't be answered yet, but if Saddam had the weapons, why would he choose to hide them instead of using them on Americans?

They were too quick coming in. As far as 'snapped photos' here is the money quote from that above posted article. Remember this is from the UN, not the slippery US:

The UN Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission briefed the Security Council on new findings that could help trace the whereabouts of Saddam's missile and WMD program.

The briefing contained satellite photographs that demonstrated the speed with which Saddam dismantled his missile and WMD sites before and during the war. Council members were shown photographs of a ballistic missile site outside Baghdad in May 2003, and then saw a satellite image of the same location in February 2004, in which facilities had disappeared.

One would think. But the left just will keep screaming, (read: lying), Bush lied!

Reviving economy
Afghanistan and Iraq both moving in democratic direction
No more terror attacks at home
Reduced taxes

That's to start with.

Originally posted by pegwinn
Lest we believe this story is just from a right wing pro bush source. Here is some other possibles that say a bit of the same thing......Google News Results

Right you are, been on major news links for the past two days, but not network news or fronts of any papers I've seen.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew

My theory is that Saddam knew he was going to get his ass kicked, but hoped he could escape to a neighboring islamic state and live in exile and organize "resistance" from there. But apparently no one would have him.

Now, why is it that you cannot accept the fact that Saddam had WMDs?

Hopefully, even you can accept as fact the statement that Saddam did possess WMDs in the form of toxic agents and that he had these weapons AFTER the conclusion of operation Desert Storm.

Another fact you must acknowledge, is that Saddam's army used these weapons against the Kurds.

The final fact that is inescapable is that, to date, no viable WMDs have been discovered. There some is evidence that a production capability existed, but no "factory" has been found.

So I think we can agree that the following are objective and factual statements:
1. Saddam did have WMDs at one time.
2. Saddam used WMDs in his attacks on his own people.
3. So far we have not been able to find them.

Now let's connect the dots. Saddam had the weapons, so what happened to them? The following are the only possibilities I can conjure up:

1. He used them all in his efforts to destroy the Kurds.
2. He hid them. Either in Iraq or shipped them to a neighboring country. Ever wonder why his Air Force fled to Iran?
3. He complied with the UN resolution to destroy these weapons, but refused to acknowledge the fact that he had done so.

Back to opinions. I believe that item one is unlikely. The carnage documented by the news media would not indicate any massive expenditure of arms.

Item three, in my opinion, is nothing short of preposterous.

So that leaves us with item two. And with the nagging question about where these weapons will be put to use next time.

But you libs keep screeching about how Pres. Bush "lied" to get us into this war. You would rather try to make political mileage from a ridiculous disregard for the facts than deal with the very real likelyhood that if we don't find these weapons in the Middle East, we will eventually find them right here at home.

:laugh:

just as i guessed! the lot of you sitting around kissing each other's asses the whole time. i've always wondered... if i ever put blinders on, would i know they were still on after a while? doesn't blaming 'libs' get old? maybe you all should spend a little quality with YOURSELVES. you remember- your conscience? i'm sure it's still in there somewhere.

this article doesn't tell me jack.

...and it's some huge mystery this isn't all over the news? not even fox news? :laugh: no mystery, here :rolleyes:

it doesn't outline WHEN (beyond a reasonable doubt) these were being shipped.

it doesn't say WHERE (beyond a reasonable doubt) they have been shipped.

this is all a FAR CRY from bush's pre-emption speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/bush.transcript/index.html

where he outlined a monsterous cache of weapons that simply DIDN'T EXIST.

and big freaking whup! they've got FREMENTORS! let's see, one can make beer, enzymes for biological research, grow fungus, the ratio is probably 100:1 with the things one could grow besides a biological weapon.

'Saddam did have WMDs at one time.' IS NOT THE SAME AS SADDAM HAD THEM AT THE TIME OF INVASION. SHOW ME HE WAS SHIPPING THEM OUT RIGHT AFTER 9/11 AND YOU'VE GOT A STORY.

'so far for issues they have WMD, the prison scandal and?'
oh yeah, who the hell cares about those prisoners... we don't see much of them on the news anymore anyway, right? out of sight, out of mind for your average bushie. i would donate my yearly salary to buy you people a durable attention span.

it's obvious we need to take our country back from those who can't even make simple distinctions. i hope bush's publicists/spin masters meet their makers for such continued distortion of the truth. stop clinging to your FALSE CHRISTIANITY and help us all get this country out of the disgusting defiling of everything that was once great about my beloved USA!

Originally posted by spillmind
:laugh:

just as i guessed! the lot of you sitting around kissing each other's asses the whole time. i've always wondered... if i ever put blinders on, would i know they were still on after a while? doesn't blaming 'libs' get old? maybe you all should spend a little quality with YOURSELVES. you remember- your conscience? i'm sure it's still in there somewhere.

this article doesn't tell me jack.

...and it's some huge mystery this isn't all over the news? not even fox news? :laugh: no mystery, here :rolleyes:

it doesn't outline WHEN (beyond a reasonable doubt) these were being shipped.

it doesn't say WHERE (beyond a reasonable doubt) they have been shipped.

this is all a FAR CRY from bush's pre-emption speech:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/bush.transcript/index.html

where he outlined a monsterous cache of weapons that simply DIDN'T EXIST.

and big freaking whup! they've got FREMENTORS! let's see, one can make beer, enzymes for biological research, grow fungus, the ratio is probably 100:1 with the things one could grow besides a biological weapon.

'Saddam did have WMDs at one time.' IS NOT THE SAME AS SADDAM HAD THEM AT THE TIME OF INVASION. SHOW ME HE WAS SHIPPING THEM OUT RIGHT AFTER 9/11 AND YOU'VE GOT A STORY.

'so far for issues they have WMD, the prison scandal and?'
oh yeah, who the hell cares about those prisoners... we don't see much of them on the news anymore anyway, right? out of sight, out of mind for your average bushie. i would donate my yearly salary to buy you people a durable attention span.

it's obvious we need to take our country back from those who can't even make simple distinctions. i hope bush's publicists/spin masters meet their makers for such continued distortion of the truth. stop clinging to your FALSE CHRISTIANITY and help us all get this country out of the disgusting defiling of everything that was once great about my beloved USA!

Spilly, you've been missed, NOT. However good to see you back fermenting trouble.

New standard for you and the left at the time of the invasion. Cute. Only you Spilly.

an incredible rebuttal :laugh:

you've got to know somewhere in there that you are supporting a lost cause. most americans are FINALLY getting a clue and realising what kind of a ride they've been taken for.

only once iraqi's puppet government is assassinated, dissolved, and things get back to practically the same way they were BEFORE we ever invaded and like it's been for CENTURIES- MAYBE peope like you will wake up?

why do you think bush is trying like hell to get out of dodge? he doesn't care about you or me, it's about his OWN ASS!

and if you think iraqis love us and are progressing, and we've done the right thing, did our job.... blah BS blah BS blah

just ask any iraqi:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_us_poll&cid=540&ncid=716

i know remember why i stop posting here a while ago. maybe i'll get lucky and get banned like everyone else who DARES to question the right wing war mongers :dance:

Forum List

Back