UN idiot declares oil-for-food a "success"

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
I suppose that, after a fashion, the oil-for-food program was a success for Kofi, his son, the Russians and the corrupt and devious french. Didn't work too well for the Iraqis though.
=================================================
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/1/2/134443.shtml

Sunday, Jan. 2, 2005 1:42 p.m. EST
Kofi: Oil-for-Food a Success

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan contended on Sunday that the Oil-for-Food program was a significant success – even though investigators now say the scandal-plagued U.N. operation will go down in history as the biggest financial scam of all time.

"It was a unique scheme," Annan told ABC's "This Week." "Yes, there may have been some corruption. There may have been some mismanagement. But the program achieved its results."

Though Saddam Hussein is reported to have siphoned off at least $23 billion in relief money that was supposed to go to the people of Iraq while U.N. sanctions were in place, Annan called the operation he oversaw "effective."
"The sanctions were effective. Iraq was disarmed. Iraq is well-fed," the U.N. chief claimed. "In fact, the distribution system was so effective that today we use the distribution cards as the basis for voter registration for the elections."

Annan said allegations of "some wrongdoing" are "being looked into," but quickly reiterated, "We should not forget that [Oil-for-Food] achieved its results."

The top diplomat insisted there was no reason to worry that the U.N. would similarly mismanage the billions of dollars in tsunami relief aid that's currently being funneled through the world body.

"We've run many operations without these kinds of accusations," he told "This Week." "And I think we're going to be able to run this one in the same effective manner."

Merlin1047 said:
I suppose that, after a fashion, the oil-for-food program was a success for Kofi, his son, the Russians and the corrupt and devious french. Didn't work too well for the Iraqis though.
=================================================
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/1/2/134443.shtml

Sunday, Jan. 2, 2005 1:42 p.m. EST
Kofi: Oil-for-Food a Success

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan contended on Sunday that the Oil-for-Food program was a significant success – even though investigators now say the scandal-plagued U.N. operation will go down in history as the biggest financial scam of all time.

"It was a unique scheme," Annan told ABC's "This Week." "Yes, there may have been some corruption. There may have been some mismanagement. But the program achieved its results."

Though Saddam Hussein is reported to have siphoned off at least $23 billion in relief money that was supposed to go to the people of Iraq while U.N. sanctions were in place, Annan called the operation he oversaw "effective."
"The sanctions were effective. Iraq was disarmed. Iraq is well-fed," the U.N. chief claimed. "In fact, the distribution system was so effective that today we use the distribution cards as the basis for voter registration for the elections."

Annan said allegations of "some wrongdoing" are "being looked into," but quickly reiterated, "We should not forget that [Oil-for-Food] achieved its results."

The top diplomat insisted there was no reason to worry that the U.N. would similarly mismanage the billions of dollars in tsunami relief aid that's currently being funneled through the world body.

"We've run many operations without these kinds of accusations," he told "This Week." "And I think we're going to be able to run this one in the same effective manner."

Damn Merlin---what are you reading today?--TOP TEN IDIOTS of 2004 ?? :teeth:

Merlin1047 said:

That just tells me they have a lot of scams that haven't surfaced yet. Kofi Annan saying that the world needn't worry about funneling money through the UN id like the proverbial liar saying" Hey I don't lie!"

Hey if I got extremely rich and that was my goal then I too would declare it a success. This just makes him a suspect in the investigation IMO.

What an idiot.

no1tovote4 said:
Hey if I got extremely rich and that was my goal then I too would declare it a success. This just makes him a suspect in the investigation IMO.

What an idiot.
you mean he wasnt supposed to line his own pockets first, then pass it on?

Johnney said:
you mean he wasnt supposed to line his own pockets first, then pass it on?

Well that depends again on which perspective you are looking at this from. From the vantage point of Kofi Anan it is clearly the goal to insure you get "paid" before anybody gets any food.

no1tovote4 said:
Well that depends again on which perspective you are looking at this from. From the vantage point of Kofi Anan it is clearly the goal to insure you get "paid" before anybody gets any food.
well how noble of him!
so yes then it is indeed a success! :cuckoo:

oil for food was a unique case. Usually the UN gives out money to those who need it unilaterally, as has been the case with the tsunami. Those countries can't afford aid, so the UN gives it to them without any sort of payment expected. In Iraq though, we had an incredibly oil-rich nation that was still suffering from lack of food and medicine because of effective sanctioning. The deal was worked out whereby money would be put into an account which could only be used to buy specific humanitarian supplies. This had never been done before. As a result, there were loopholes that Saddam and insiders, likely including Annan's own son, exploited to take kickbacks on these ayments, funnel money out of the account etc. Alot of this was because Saddam was allowed to trade with Jordan and other neighboring nations. This was illegal, but everyone looked the other way, partly because these nations were important US and other Western allies.

We must remember that UN stands for United Nations. The United States had a seat on the UN security council and was aware of much of the corruption that is now being "investigated," choosing to look the other way. The mini-Kurdish stae in northern Iraq in particular benifited from these programs, and would have had to get aid from other countries if these loopholes were shut down.

The media has this schizophrenic view of the UN at times where if something bad happens it becomes "they", while if the UN does something in the US's interest it was because of "us." We are the most powerful member of the UN, and as such have to take some responsibility where it is due. While this may not apply in the prostitution rings run by UN workers in the congo, the oil for food scandal is another matter entirely.

Also, we must give credit where it is due. This week we found out that there is no evidence for WMD's in Iraq whatsoever. The UN's efforts on this front are atleast partly for blame. Even with the oil for food corruption happening, none of those grafts were able to be used for WMD's by Saddam.

Forum List

Back