UN human rights experts: IDF used Gaza boy as human shield

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
IDF soldiers used an 11-year-old Palestinian boy as a human shield during the Operation Cast Lead against Hamas in Gaza, a group of UN human rights experts said Monday.

The army ordered the boy to walk in front of soldiers being fired on in the Gaza neighborhood of Tel al-Hawa and enter buildings before them, said the UN secretary-general's envoy for protecting children in armed conflict.

Radhika Coomaraswamy said the incident on Jan. 15, after IDF tanks had rolled into the neighborhood, was a violation of Israeli and international law.

It was included in a 43-page report published Monday, and was just one of many verified human rights atrocities during the three-week war between Israel and Hamas that ended Jan. 18, she said.

Coomaraswamy accused IDF soldiers of shooting Palestinian children, bulldozing a home with a woman and child still inside, and shelling a building they had ordered civilians into a day earlier.

Israel's diplomatic mission in Geneva said it would respond to the allegations later Monday at a session of the UN Human Rights Council.

There also have been allegations that Hamas used human shields, but UN human rights experts have yet to verify those, said Coomaraswamy.

"Violations were reported on a daily basis, too numerous to list," said Coomaraswamy.

Coomaraswamy, who visited Gaza and Israel for five days in February, said her list constituted "just a few examples of the hundreds of incidents that have been documented and verified" by UN officials who were in the territory.

She was the only one of the nine UN experts who compiled the report that was allowed into Gaza following the war. The experts covered issues ranging from health and hunger to women's rights and arbitrary executions.

The experts also noted reports that Hamas had committed other abuses. They said Hamas had been unwilling to investigate the allegations.

The report called for Israel to investigate human rights abuses that occurred during the conflict.

UN human rights experts: IDF used Gaza boy as human shield | Israel | Jerusalem Post

Horrible just horrible

meh.. the usual team jersey suspects don't give a damn. It's just a zionist bumper sticker to them. Let a jewish kid be used as a human shield and you'll see enough tears and screams of antisemitism to create another salt lake.

The experts also noted reports that Hamas had committed other abuses. They said Hamas had been unwilling to investigate the allegations.

As I always say, they should let them fight it out and be done with it.

I guess thats easy to say while we are arming one side. Cut the cord and say that.

Very well said Shogun! I mean look at the Israeli casualties during Operation Cast Lead, compared to the Palestinian ones, and for what? It hasn't stopped militants from shooting off rockets, it didn't accomplish much of any military goal or objective. It just brought down the hammer of suffering on a population pretty much already held prisoner within their own territory, regardless of terrorist or political affiliation. If it was a jewish kid that was marched around in front of another military like this the IDF and Israel would be out for blood.

You know it's funny because i've been to the Middle East, and the scariest part of the trip wasn't anything to do with the arabs, I wanted to wet myself wondering when flying low over Jerusalem if the arab airline I was on board could get shot at if it was deemed a "security risk," lol.

Last edited:

I guess thats easy to say while we are arming one side. Cut the cord and say that.
You are 100% wrong, as we have been feeding both sides for decades.

And I'd love to see ZERO dollars go overseas, I have never agreed with all this world wide payola shit.

BTW, the Jews were on their own for over 20 years and managed to beat the shit out of the Arab side time and time again, so don't be so sure the jews would lose.

yea dude.. i'd sure call using western support from a newly created israel "on their own" too!

:lol:

I see you are clueless on that, as you are on current topics.

Tell us the name of the commanding officer of the Army of Joradn in 1948, and who supplied the entire Egyptian, jordanian and Syrain armed forces.

Google it if you have too, you may actually learn something about this conflict.

:lol:

LEARN SOMETHING INDEED!

In a 1993 interview for the Johnson Presidential Library oral history archives, U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara revealed that a carrier battle group, the U.S. 6th Fleet, on a training exercise near Gibraltar was re-positioned towards the eastern Mediterranean to be able to defend Israel. The administration "thought the situation was so tense in Israel that perhaps the Syrians, fearing Israel would attack them, or the Russians supporting the Syrians might wish to redress the balance of power and might attack Israel". The Soviets learned of this deployment, which they regarded as offensive in nature, and in a hotline message from Soviet Premier Alexei Kosygin threatened the United States with war.[166]

The Soviet Union supported its Arab allies.[167] In May 1967, the Soviets started a surge deployment of their naval forces into the East Mediterranean. Early in the crisis they began to shadow the US and British carriers with destroyers and intelligence collecting vessels. The Soviet naval squadron in the Mediterranean was sufficiently strong to act as a major restraint on the U.S. Navy.[168] In a 1983 interview with the Boston Globe, McNamara claimed that "We damn near had war". He said Kosygin was angry that "we had turned around a carrier in the Mediterranean".[169]

In his book Six Days, veteran BBC journalist Jeremy Bowen claims that on 4 June 1967, the Israeli ship Miryam left Felixstowe with cases of machine guns, 105 mm tank shells, and armored vehicles in "the latest of many consignments of arms that had been sent secretly to Israel from British and American reserves since the crisis started" and that "Israeli transport planes had been running a 'shuttle service' in and out of RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire". Bowen claims that Harold Wilson had written to Eshkol saying that he was glad to help as long as the utmost secrecy was maintained.[170][171]

Six-Day War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:thup:

Seems you didn't learn yet, we were discusing the 48 war, and I said 20 years, which takes us to 1967.

You post something from the 67 war, and think you somehow won a point, when in fact you dodged the entire point, whioch was the jews did fine with little or no help when the arabs had massive aide from the west.

Since you were to confused to look it up, the correct answer to who commanded the Jordan Army in the 1948 war is John Glubb, aka 'Glubb Pasha' an active duty officer of the army of great britain.

Jordan, Egypt and Syrian were armed, equipped and trained by the United Kingdom, which provided air support over the southern front, including several arial combats between RAF and IDF Spitfires, the Jewish ones being Mk IX war surplus, the RAF using the more advanced Mk XXI.

israeli-spitfires-1950s.jpg

Mk_21_GB_1Sqn.png

The Jews used homemade armored trucks, and their only tanks were pre WWII French Hotchkiss and Renault Tanks they found in an old french depot left over from 1941 when England over ran the Vichy garrison in Syria.

Isr-Hotchkiss.jpg

The arbas had modern archer tank destoyers and armored cars.

Archer_SP_17_pdr_Tank_Destroyer.jpg

Even when the arabs had all the cards they lost, and now you bitch and whine because the shoe is now on teh other foot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back