UN finds 'extermination' of detainees in Syria

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Sad that this is happening.

Report covering 2011-15 period urges targeted sanctions against individuals and groups guilty of "unimaginable abuses".
08 Feb 2016 21:10 GMT | War & Conflict, Human Rights, Syrian Civil War, Syria

a701a5802c414d879ff5933de8fd12f4_18.jpg

Protesters in Aleppo called for the release of prisoners in government-run jails in January [File: Abdalrhman Ismail/Reuters]
International investigators have said several thousand detainees have been executed, beaten to death or otherwise left to die during Syria's civil war, in policies that appear to amount to "extermination" under international law.

The UN-backed Commission of Inquiry on Syria presented a 25-page report on Monday on killings of detainees by President Bashar al-Assad's government.

The report is drawn from 621 interviews conducted between March 2011 and November 2015.

Investigators say they are short of enough evidence to provide more specific estimates of killings of those detained.

Continue reading at:

Gee they don't seem to have any problem with Erdogan's systematic slaughter of Kurds that is now bordering on genocide.

Odd priorities the UN has.

You just linked me to Al Jazeera for this special report. Do you understand that Qatar owns AJ and that Qatar has been trying to overthrow Assad for years.

There is no civil war. Never was. Just a plan devised to overthrow Assad and hand over the state to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Gee they don't seem to have any problem with Erdogan's systematic slaughter of Kurds that is now bordering on genocide.

Does Turkish treatment of the Kurds excuse barbarism in Syria ? What a strange world you live in ?

where did dancer suggest that the barbarism of the filthy Syrian Baathist pigs -----justifies the barbarism of the filthy islamicist Turks. It seems to me that she simply would like to see BOTH atrocities addressed

You just linked me to Al Jazeera for this special report. Do you understand that Qatar owns AJ and that Qatar has been trying to overthrow Assad for years.

There is no civil war. Never was. Just a plan devised to overthrow Assad and hand over the state to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Ass*ad himself overthrew the former government to reign a mafia regime in the country.

Does Turkish treatment of the Kurds excuse barbarism in Syria ? What a strange world you live in ?

where did dancer suggest that the barbarism of the filthy Syrian Baathist pigs -----justifies the barbarism of the filthy islamicist Turks. It seems to me that she simply would like to see BOTH atrocities addressed

What barbarism of turks?

The only barbarians are Putin and his dog Ass*ad in the country.
135479b9df0f4748af29e5ae6d54ac83_18.jpg

What barbarism of turks?

barbarism-----both the Russians and the Turks------and---for that matter---the UKRAINIANS. It is not clear to me that a particular SECTION of the Ukraine is
more barbaric than another section------dancer seems to have some insight into the issue

Report covering 2011-15 period urges targeted sanctions against individuals and groups guilty of "unimaginable abuses".

Protesters in Aleppo called for the release of prisoners in government-run jails in January [File: Abdalrhman Ismail/Reuters]
International investigators have said several thousand detainees have been executed, beaten to death or otherwise left to die during Syria's civil war, in policies that appear to amount to "extermination" under international law.

The UN-backed Commission of Inquiry on Syria presented a 25-page report on Monday on killings of detainees by President Bashar al-Assad's government.

The report is drawn from 621 interviews conducted between March 2011 and November 2015.

Investigators say they are short of enough evidence to provide more specific estimates of killings of those detained.

Continue reading at:

Does Obama draw another redline or does the UN send a sternly worded letter?

Continue reading at:

it's not even news------people have been exterminated in Syria for decades-----no one cares

Continue reading at:

it's not even news------people have been exterminated in Syria for decades-----no one cares
THE WORLD that the left worships the opinion of has slept while Syrians, Cambodians, Ugandans, North Koreans, Jews, etc were slaughtered wholesale. Fk the world.

What barbarism of turks?

So you would have ISIS completely take over Syria? Is that who you are backing?

Did you ever think to Google to see what other media were reporting on the UN report?

Did you ever think to Google to see what other media were reporting on the UN report?

Oh I went right to the report. Whereas the media loves to blame Assad for everything in Syria the actual United Nations report blames everybody involved in this bloody mess.

Like this in the report. No one has clean hands. SA, Qatar and Turkey along with the US trying to overthrow Assad bear the brunt of the blame for the hell hole that is now Syria.

"As anti-Government armed groups and terrorist groups have come in control of territory, they too have held prisoners under brutal conditions, the report says. Some anti-Government armed groups established makeshift places of detention where captured Government soldiers were ill-treated, and executed.

“We have heard shocking evidence of how people have been summarily executed following illicit trials, while some individuals taken hostage died in the custody of armed groups”, said Commissioner Vitit Muntarbhorn.

Jabhat Al-Nusra and anti-Government armed groups control places of detention, holding Government soldiers as well as civilians. The torture and deaths of detainees have been recorded in some of these facilities. Both the terrorist group Jabhat Al-Nusra and some anti-Government armed groups committed the war crimes of murder, cruel treatment, and torture, the report found."

In areas under control of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) the terrorist group subjected detainees to serious abuses, including torture and summary executions. Detainees were frequently executed after unauthorized courts issued death sentences. ISIL has committed the crimes against humanity of murder and torture, and war crimes.

Through the report, the Commission hopes that efforts will be strengthened to find a path to justice for Syrian civilians, as well to assist prosecutorial and judicial authorities seeking to bring cases, whether at a national or international level."

UN News - All sides in Syria killing thousands of detainees in crimes against humanity, UN reports

One has to remember the barbarism in Syria that Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia have financed. Called ISIS and al Nusra Front and FSA who work with AQ.

All because the Sunni states want to overthrow Assad and we're part of this bloody mess.

But let a few palestinian terrorist fail in their attempts to kill Israeli's and get shot in the process and that ever so equitable UN starts firing off one resolution of condemnation after another.

Its a wildly bias outfit that has become so corrupt its really not worth funding anymore.

What barbarism of turks?

So you would have ISIS completely take over Syria? Is that who you are backing?

you seem to be giving a pass to the barbarism of ASSAD and you seem
to support a take over of Syria by elements allied to Iran------(like assad)
Try to remember-----ALL sides are romping in blood. Assad as "stable"
guy is something like ----good strong leader---Saddam Hussein

Sally, et al,

I have been reading these reports for about a year. I'm not impressed with them, but then, I'm not there and must temper my criticism.

(OBSERVARTION)
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 8.06.02 AM.png
A/HRC/31/CRP.1
Human Rights Council
Thirty-first session
Agenda item 4
• Human rights situations that require the Council’s attention

(COMMENT)

What you should keep in mind is that these HUMAN RIGHTS activist and HUMANITARIAN advisors generally have a tendency to over dramatize their finds to the point that their narrative is hard to judge in terms of magnitude. In this case, the Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic (IICI-SAR) is a ancillary element of the UN Human Rights - Officer of the High Commissioner.

In this report they accuse all the opposing parties with committing the crimes against humanity of extermination, murder, rape or other forms of sexual violence, torture, imprisonment, mass executions, and committing war crimes of murder, cruel treatment, and torture. All this by government forces, anti-government forces, Jabhat Al-Nusra, and --- of course --- DAESH. While there is probably some truth in these observations, I no longer consider the Human Rights and Humanitarian activities as anything other than immature open-source collection of tabloid quality. While from the report, we gleen no real sense of the magnitude of the types and kinds of violations, it is reasonable to assume the the UN has witness statements that recount DAESH and Al-Sham, holding a large an unknown number of detainees for extended periods (various locations reported but unconfirmed), using torture techniques and conducting summary executions.

Having said that, these very same Human Rights and Humanitarian activities, as well as other Arab external observers, use this same language in describing the Israelis. This reduces the credibility of the overall report. The viability of the report rest in the Recommendation § X for which it lists a whole series of actions that will not be considered by any of the Arab Parties to the conflict.

While I have often recommended that Report, Inquiries, Observations and Inquiries that I don't necessarily agree with should be read for consideration, I see absolutely no redeeming qualities in this report.

Most Respectfully,
R

One has to remember the barbarism in Syria that Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia have financed. Called ISIS and al Nusra Front and FSA who work with AQ.

All because the Sunni states want to overthrow Assad and we're part of this bloody mess.

you got some raw data on the SUPPORT and FINANCING OF BARBARISM from Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar ? Since you are citing COUNTRIES---I assume that you are referring to GOVERNMENTAL support----not private contribution to this
or that "group"

Forum List

Back