UN complaining no one is punishing NK

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Heard it on FOX for what its worth---cant spell the guys name but the same one who claimed iraq was free of nukes is now warning the world that its very dangerous not to punish N. K. Whose turn is it to stop a terrorist country?

Originally posted by dilloduck
Heard it on FOX for what its worth---cant spell the guys name but the same one who claimed iraq was free of nukes is now warning the world that its very dangerous not to punish N. K. Whose turn is it to stop a terrorist country?

I saw that too and was wondering....

isn't it the UN's job to do that? I mean, isn't that what they are bitchng about in Iraq that we didn't let them handle it? The two-faced little whining bastards can kiss my ass!

Why don't they send in their mighty blue helmets, hmmmmmmm....

Originally posted by Gop guy
Why don't they send in their mighty blue helmets, hmmmmmmm....

When I saw the story on FOX, I was thinking the same thing. But the answer is easy. Because as with everything, the UN thinks the US should do it. But then when we do, they bitch about it.

Think about it, who was containing Sadman? It wasn't the UN, that's for sure! They were content to leave the US and GB to spend the money and personnel to contain him while they got rich.

This is more recent than the 14th, but I think it contains the nexus of your discussion:

http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insight/articles/pp051604.shtml
EURASIA INSIGHT May 19, 2004

IRAN: IAEA CHIEF SAYS NO SIGN TEHRAN HAS WEAPONIZED URANIUM, BUT WORK REMAINS

5/16/04
A EurasiaNet Partner Post from RFE/RL

IAEA Director-General Muhammad el-Baradei told the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations today that Iran has been providing proper access to inspectors. But he said that much technical analysis remains to determine the scale of the country’s nuclear program.

"We don’t have proof so far that they have done any weaponization nor have we seen that they have enriched uranium to the military level, [but] if you ask me whether they have the know how to develop the highly enriched uranium, the answer is yes," el-Baradei said.

Iran has pledged to give a full account of its nuclear activities before a meeting next month of the IAEA board of governors in Vienna. In October, Iran gave the IAEA what it said was a full declaration of its nuclear program. But it failed to list some key research projects such as highly specialized "P2" centrifuges that can make arms-grade uranium.

The IAEA reported the omissions in March, prompting a warning from its board of governors. U.S. officials have said that if Iran continues to fail to comply, the matter should be referred to the UN Security Council as a threat to international peace and security.

El-Baradei told the Council on Foreign Relations, an independent policy institute, that the current approach of steady pressure on Iran was appropriate. "Verification backed by diplomacy continues to be the best option, frankly, and if you are moving forward, if you do not see imminent threats, I think we should stay the course," he said. "It sometimes takes time, people get impatient but this still is the best option because there is no better alternative."

Overall, the IAEA chief also said the current system for dealing with nuclear nonproliferation was inadequate and that the UN Security Council must revise its role.

There are currently 100 facilities in 40 countries that still use highly enriched uranium, according to el-Baradei. He said the agency is in discussion with Washington about a global cleanup program for this material. He recommended a moratorium or ban on the right of every country to develop plutonium and highly enriched uranium. "We act like a fire brigade, we act to try to put the fire off in Iraq, in North Korea, but that’s not the solution," he said. "The solution is building a new system of collective security that is not based on reliance on nuclear weapons. That’s a lot. It’s a tall order but we really need to start."

El-Baradei also called for a better response system in cases in which countries withdraw from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). He suggested establishing a system of sanctions that countries are aware of so they can consider the cost of withdrawing from the NPT. This, he said, would be an improvement on the limited response to North Korea’s withdrawal last year.

"What I worry about North Korea [is] that it also sends the worst signal to the would-be proliferators. That if you want to protect yourself, [you] accelerate your program because then you are immune in a way, then people will sit around the table with you and if you do not do that fast enough you might be subject to preemption," el-Baradei said.

He said North Korea was the world’s top security concern. The regime, he said, used loopholes in a 1994 agreement and the export-control system that is aimed at banning trade in nuclear materials to start a nuclear weapons program. It also developed a second track of highly-enriched-uranium production which the IAEA knows little about.

Forum List

Back