UN Approves Ban Ki-Moon as New Secretary General

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
24.jpg

Today, the UN General Assembly approved Ban Ki-Moon, former South Korean Foreign Secretary, as the new UN General Secretary. He takes over on 1 January. Good luck to Ban. And goodbye to Kofi Annan, who cannot leave soon enough. There is no point in rehashing the UN’s very poor performance on the major issues of war and peace during Annan's tenure. We know that painful litany. To be fair, there is plenty of blame to go around. But who will forget Annan’s oil for food legacy of corruption? Think Kofi’s going to move back to Ghana? NYC should get ready for a wealthy immigrant.

Hands up, how many think the US will pull out of UN within the next 10 years?

GAWD I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a real possibility. Really. I may be wrong, but from what I'm picking up the US may be returning to isolationism with a twist, miltary stays where they are, more or less troops, but no great shakes. We make the real players make choices and back or not.

I could be wrong, but it's what I read.

I think it's a real possibility. Really. I may be wrong, but from what I'm picking up the US may be returning to isolationism with a twist, miltary stays where they are, more or less troops, but no great shakes. We make the real players make choices and back or not.

I could be wrong, but it's what I read.

I feel it. For whatever that's worth.

Sometimes I think to hell with it: evict the UN and let it move to Paris, or some other city where appeasers and collaborators are welcome, and be done with it. But New York is the capitol of the planet and the UN should remain on First Avenue. Yes, the UN fails far more than it succeeds, but it is the most significant world forum that exists for resolving international problems and taking collective action. America should never give up any of it sovereignty to the UN, but that does not mean that America should withdraw. Ultimately we exist in a multi-cultural world, within which countries compete with ideas. America needs a forum to express its ideas and values. Clearly, the structure of the UN is going to evolve, particularly the UNSC, and hopefully for the better. It is more adaptive that America influences this change, than to pick up our marbles and go home. For example, in the future and much to France’s horror, the UNSC will probably consist of America, China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members.

Sometimes I think to hell with it: evict the UN and let it move to Paris, or some other city where appeasers and collaborators are welcome, and be done with it. But New York is the capitol of the planet and the UN should remain on First Avenue. Yes, the UN fails far more than it succeeds, but it is the most significant world forum that exists for resolving international problems and taking collective action. America should never give up any of it sovereignty to the UN, but that does not mean that America should withdraw. Ultimately we exist in a multi-cultural world, within which countries compete with ideas. America needs a forum to express its ideas and values. Clearly, the structure of the UN is going to evolve, particularly the UNSC, and hopefully for the better. It is more adaptive that America influences this change, than to pick up our marbles and go home. For example, in the future and much to France’s horror, the UNSC will probably consist of America, China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members.
I say, let it or any replacement consist of
China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members. Just not the US. Truth is, we are funding nearly 1/2 of UN budget, not including the cost of housing and forgiving crimes and tickets via 'diplomats'; which is committed to destroying the position of US in the world. It's numbers versus right, at least from a US point of view. Seems none of it is reconcilable, so we should pick up our marbles and say, 'Go for it, just without us.'

I say, let it or any replacement consist of
China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members. Just not the US. Truth is, we are funding nearly 1/2 of UN budget, not including the cost of housing and forgiving crimes and tickets via 'diplomats'; which is committed to destroying the position of US in the world. It's numbers versus right, at least from a US point of view. Seems none of it is reconcilable, so we should pick up our marbles and say, 'Go for it, just without us.'
In a world conditioned by the internet, the World Trade Organization, transnational health problems, complex environmental issues, international terrorism, etc., it is simply not possible to isolate ourselves. We have to participate; we have no choice. Even if it were possible for the world's preeminent country to isolate itself, it is precisely what our enemies would want. See, they would say, it's America v. the world. If the United States does not exercise diplomatic influence on the UN, who should? China? EU? We do not want a world where they are calling the shots. Our withdrawal from the UN would give them free reign, with no counterbalance to their influence except our military power.

Some people think Ban will emphasize the "general" in the title "Secretary-General", opposite of Annan, who was weak and inefficient in the post.

Kofi going is a final end to his ongoing bitchfest with Bolton, Ban will find it almost impossible to be less anti-American than his predecessor.

Ten years, possibly, twenty years, almost certainly.

There's ads running on TV, paid for by some left-wing group, that make a personal plea for President Bush to "stop the genocide in Darfur", as if he was personally committing it.

The Sudan problem should be an example of UN's raison d'etre, it's dropping the ball again.

Just having a new Sec. general ain't gonna make any difference to the Useless U.N. As an Indian I feel India should pull out as no one wants to or is interested to recognize the next Asian superpower (WHICH IS DEMOCRATIC MIND YOU) and ready to give it veto power in the S.C . I don't know why India doesnt have a permanent seat in the S.C or why isn't it counted among the Big 5 (hell we are better then ou rneighbouring communist buggers).

India has the 3rd largest economy in Asia ,Its a responsible nuclear power, 3rd largest standing army in the world , 4th largest Air FOrce in the world , the country churning out the 2nd largest number of Computer Pros in the world etc. etc.

I don't know wether I sound like a fanatical patriot but frankly I am tired of the U.N and its members (especially China:bang3: )

aKshay

Forum List

Back