UN and Iran

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by CSM, May 24, 2007.

1. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    UN warns on Iran nuclear schedule

Mr ElBaradei has faced criticism from Europe and the US
    Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the UN's atomic agency, has said Iran could develop a nuclear weapon in three to eight years if it so chooses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6687137.stm

I have to wonder just what the UN is going to do about this (if anything). I bet a strongly worded letter will make the Iranians think twice about obtaining nukes! Then again, they are a sovereign nation so have the right to pursue nukes if they want to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well if the past offers a clue, the UN will send a disapproving message.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,064

is the bold part said in jest? or reality?

care

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I guess it depends upon your point of view. Given the context it is in (and knowing who wrote it) I would say it was sarcasm!

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    That's a relief. Under no circumstances can Islamic religious fanatics be allowed to obtain nuclear weapons. A world with the Mullahs holding a nuclear gun would be unbelievably dangerous. US forces in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, and elsewhere would be threatened. The world would live in fear of the Mullahs giving the weapon to Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, or some similar group. If sanctions, blockades, or covert action do not prevent Iran from obtaining the weapon, then ultimately it will be up to the Air Force and Navy to stop them. We will have no choice. Surely the Iranians realize that. So what is their game? To make sure they get themselves bombed? To extort as much treasure as possible before relenting? Do they believe that the US will lose its nerve and not block them from obtaining nukes? Are they making a massive miscalculation? Even if America folds, the Iranians must realize they will be attacked by Israel. But does Israel have enough air power for the job? It's going to take more than Israeli F15s to ensure the elimination of the Iranian nuke program.