ultra-pure heroin killing users

during the poppy harvest this year, it was reported that there was an unofficial cease fire of sorts because all the taliban fighters were in the fields working the harvest.

though i haven't seen any afghani tar --- austin is probably too close to mexico to get anything from anywhere else, the hash is around at $25/gram --- do the math. the farmers are getting about $50/kg at the field.

the tar sells for about $100/g on the street and $200/kg at the field. that incredible margin is what is fueling the drug war. that is the kind of money behind the current violence in jamaica.

if these substances were legalized, those numbers would change drastically and along with that, the levels of violent crime.

AP IMPACT: Deadly, ultra-pure heroin arrives in US - Yahoo! News

just one more example of what wouldn't happen if substances like heroin were distributed by health professionals and responsible entertainment venue operators instead of criminals.

Amateurs beware.

But this ain't news worth shouting about since the percentage of people who will use this shit is infinitesimally small.

note: disclosure: I worked in the field

Then again, maybe we should be concerned. After all, our own esteemed President has been known to snort coke. God knows what he is doing now with all the pressures of being the King.

There is another alternative: for parents to instill values in their kids so they have other interests in life besides destroying their brains and bodies with hard drugs.

Nah.

The only alternative is a Costly Universal Healthcare Solution.

:razz:

Im starting to get convinced that the reason why some people want universal health care is specifically so they can get their drug fix and have the government pay for it.

There is another alternative: for parents to instill values in their kids so they have other interests in life besides destroying their brains and bodies with hard drugs.

Nah.

The only alternative is a Costly Universal Healthcare Solution.

:razz:

Im starting to get convinced that the reason why some people want universal health care is specifically so they can get their drug fix and have the government pay for it.

from the street it would sure look that way. when i lived in california, there was quite a population of people who were running pill scams through medicaid and some very popular doctors. most of them would sell the pills and buy coke or heroin.

Heroin literally makes you rot from the inside out....legalizing it to be distributed by "entertainment venues" is absolute insanity. The burden placed on our healthcare system would be incalculable.

Hey...let's all head down to the Opium Den and shoot up some china white!!!! Are you not entertained!!!!?????

if you actually thought about what you were reading rather than reacting to it according to preconditioned attitudes, you would recognize that i do not advocate the use of any of the so-called hard drugs.

the theme that i hold to in the drug war argument is that the damage caused by the drugs themselves is insignificant compared to the damage being wrought by the people and methods in control of the distribution of the substances.

people who are well-balanced and have any sense will avoid these things regardless of their legal status. during the prohibition, cocaine and heroin were often easier to obtain than alcohol but that did not cause any significant rise in the number of addicts.

Your "theme" is to have "entertainment venues distributing heroin" to basically anyone who wants it and can afford it...those quotes are your words...
images

Women who use heroin during pregnancy greatly increase their risk of serious pregnancy complications. These risks include poor fetal growth, premature rupture of the membranes (the bag of waters that holds the fetus breaks too soon), premature birth and stillbirth.

As many as half of all babies of heroin users are born with low birthweight (6). Many of these babies are premature and often suffer from serious health problems during the newborn period, including breathing problems. They also are at increased risk of lifelong disabilities.

Illicit Drug Use During Pregnancy - March of Dimes

Has anyone ever heard "methadone babies" cry? Stop into your local maternity ward and ask. Then get back to us sane people about legalizing smack.

meth-faces-4.JPG

Heroin literally makes you rot from the inside out....legalizing it to be distributed by "entertainment venues" is absolute insanity. The burden placed on our healthcare system would be incalculable.

Hey...let's all head down to the Opium Den and shoot up some china white!!!! Are you not entertained!!!!?????

if you actually thought about what you were reading rather than reacting to it according to preconditioned attitudes, you would recognize that i do not advocate the use of any of the so-called hard drugs.

the theme that i hold to in the drug war argument is that the damage caused by the drugs themselves is insignificant compared to the damage being wrought by the people and methods in control of the distribution of the substances.

people who are well-balanced and have any sense will avoid these things regardless of their legal status. during the prohibition, cocaine and heroin were often easier to obtain than alcohol but that did not cause any significant rise in the number of addicts.

Your "theme" is to have "entertainment venues distributing heroin" to basically anyone who wants it and can afford it...those quotes are your words...
images

i do think i suggested health care professionals as well as entertainment venue operators.

but yes, so long as a person does not commit any other infraction, i very strongly believe that people have the right to choose their poisons and that it is not the government's right, responsibility or duty to legislate morality or stop people from doing stupid things to themselves.

i am not advocating any kind of carte blanche revocation of the drug laws or subsidizing addicts. i would certainly want to be sure that if drugs were made legal we would have protections from people driving or operating heavy equipment under the influence.

my main points are:

1. prohibition laws have never worked to eliminate the supply or demand of any substance.
2. they only invite a black market to take over distribution of the banned substance.
3. the collateral crime associated with drugs is more the result of the marketeers than the drug itself.

Women who use heroin during pregnancy greatly increase their risk of serious pregnancy complications. These risks include poor fetal growth, premature rupture of the membranes (the bag of waters that holds the fetus breaks too soon), premature birth and stillbirth.

As many as half of all babies of heroin users are born with low birthweight (6). Many of these babies are premature and often suffer from serious health problems during the newborn period, including breathing problems. They also are at increased risk of lifelong disabilities.

Illicit Drug Use During Pregnancy - March of Dimes

Has anyone ever heard "methadone babies" cry? Stop into your local maternity ward and ask. Then get back to us sane people about legalizing smack.

meth-faces-4.JPG

i saw two crack babies on the bus today, does that count?

your logic is a little strange here when you cite methadone babies. maybe if the mothers were on heroin instead of methadone....no, let's not go there.

if heroin were legal, is it not possible that now that they are no longer criminals, that it might be easier to get users in for education and treatment than when they are worried about arrest?

images

i do think i suggested health care professionals as well as entertainment venue operators.

but yes, so long as a person does not commit any other infraction, i very strongly believe that people have the right to choose their poisons and that it is not the government's right, responsibility or duty to legislate morality or stop people from doing stupid things to themselves.

i am not advocating any kind of carte blanche revocation of the drug laws or subsidizing addicts. i would certainly want to be sure that if drugs were made legal we would have protections from people driving or operating heavy equipment under the influence.

my main points are:

1. prohibition laws have never worked to eliminate the supply or demand of any substance.
2. they only invite a black market to take over distribution of the banned substance.
3. the collateral crime associated with drugs is more the result of the marketeers than the drug itself.

What about the unborn? The collateral "crime" associated with poisoning babies is often overlooked by the pro dopers.

Amsterdam has a similar policy that you suggest and organized crime is rampant.

Crimogene is a term used to describe functions that encourage ‘promotion or advancement of — or susceptibility to — criminality.’ In other words, while the coffeeshops in question are not accused of being involved in any criminal behavior, they’re susceptible to it.

The primary reason for this is the odd situation created by the semi-legal status of coffeeshops throughout the Netherlands. Legally they are allowed to sell soft drugs — even though the sale of any and all drugs is actually still illegal. The Dutch call this approach gedogen a term that does not have an english equivalent. ‘Tolerate’ comes close, but doesn’t quite cover the meaning of the word. In Holland gedogen is used of a situation or activity that technically is illegal, but which is actively tolerated as a matter of government policy. The thinking is: since you cannot eradicate, say, prostitution or drug use, you might as well regulate it.

The connection between Amsterdam’s coffeeshops and organized crime | DutchAmsterdam.nl

They are trying desperately to get rid of the junkies. They are dirty and unemployable.

I believe you are incorrect as usual.. the op advocates legalizing heroin and puttitng it's distribution into the hands of the medical community and something equally stupid,, "entertainment."

Would we have to create more physicians? No.

Would we have to simply start stocking the pharmacy with heroin and make it legal for the physicians to write a script for it? Yes.

Does that process happen regularly for new drugs with no strain on manpower?

Yes.

It's not a resource issue.

do you also believe then that the government,, meaning "we the people" have no obligation to pay for the habits and the treatments of legalized drug addicts?? that's the only way you would get me to agree to it.. what say you?

You already pay for it. See the aforementioned Methadone Clinics.

And that is cheaper than the cost of crime on the taxpayers.

The problem with so many of these "healthcare professionals" is that they are blatantly getting people hooked on prescription drugs.

I agree.

Kick backs from the pharms are an enticing proposition. Imagine what these dirtbags will do with heroine, meth and other hard drugs if they can make a buck.

This is absurd. A physician who was getting "kick backs" from pharmaceutical companies would lose their license. If it happens, it's certainly not widespread. Hell, it's now considered poor form to use a pen or clipboard that has a drug ad on it.

Anybody wanting vikes, oxy's, etc. Need only shop around a few doctors. Guaranteed, by the third try, you'll find one who'll give ya' what ya' want!

And that is bad medicine and poor prescription practice. Let me finish this though: eventually "Dr. Feelgood" goes elsewhere and his patients are divided among the group and the rest of the Drs. have to deal with a bunch of drug seeking patients that are a royal pain in the ass.

You aren't telling me anything novel.

However, as with anything, we don't make broad sweeping generalizations based on the actions of a few bad actors. Most Doctors, believe it or not, are in the field to do the right thing with their patients.

Forum List

Back