Ultra-Orthodox violently clash with police at Covid-19 funeral of hasidic rebbe

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
It would be almost blasphemous and in very poor taste for me to make any comparisons between our 74-year-old President now infected with Covid, and the 64-year-old Hasidic rebbe who just died of Covid.

Nor would I dream of comparing true blue American “freedom fighting” individualists — who protest wearing masks even with weapons inside state capitols — to the the humble followers of Rabbi Mordechai Yissachar Ber Leifer.

But sometimes it is enlightening — only Godless heathens would consider it amusing — to see how American culture war trigger issues play out in other countries.

Is Israel just another liberal “fascist state” to the Rebbe’s “Minutemen” followers? Anybody have any interesting thoughts?

“The hassidic rebbe died Monday night at the age of 64 from COVID-19.

“Violent confrontations broke out between police and the ultra-Orthodox community on Monday, this time at a funeral procession in Ashdod for the grand rabbi of the Pittsburgh hassidic group Rabbi Mordechai Yissachar Ber Leifer....

“Several thousand hassidim gathered for his funeral in Ashdod on Monday in contravention of COVID-19 regulations, with tightly packed crowds in narrow streets participating in the funeral procession, leading the police to try and disperse the mourners.

“Video footage from the scene showed severe confrontations between the police and the assembled hassidim, with the police herding and shoving them away from the procession.

“Cries of ‘Nazis’ from some of the hassidic mourners could clearly be heard as the police sought to disperse the crowd.

The funeral was coordinated with the police, but no permit was issued for a mass gathering of mourners, according to police commander ...

Israel News | The Jerusalem post

Last edited:
It would be almost blasphemous and in very poor taste for me to make any comparisons between our 74-year-old President now infected with Covid, and the 64-year-old Hasidic rebbe who just died of Covid.

Nor would I dream of comparing true blue American “freedom fighting” individualists — who protest wearing masks even with weapons inside state capitols — to the the humble followers of Rabbi Mordechai Yissachar Ber Leifer.

But sometimes it is enlightening — only Godless heathens would consider it amusing — to see how U.S. “culture war” trigger issues play out in other countries.

I think referring to it as a "U.S. culture war trigger", What you're seeing in that video has absolutely nothing to do with the United States, and it's stupid to even make a passing suggestion that it does...

But sometimes it is enlightening — only Godless heathens would consider it amusing — to see how U.S. “culture war” trigger issues play out in other countries.

I think referring to it as a "U.S. culture war trigger", What you're seeing in that video has absolutely nothing to do with the United States, and it's stupid to even make a passing suggestion that it does...
Well, stupid or not, the virus infects people all over the world, and every country has to deal with it. Some deal with it more effectively, others (like the U.S.) much less so. In some places it has actually brought forth solidarity and pride at controlling the bugger! Also, Israel also has a strong non-religious movement against the Netanyahu government’s second lockdown, which has (conveniently for the government) ended a large secular wave of protests against Netanyahu’s corruption:

I think they are pretty much the same. Tom believes the b.s., while others don't.

Why are BLM protests fine, but funerals and weddings? not so much? It isn't about a virus, it is about control.

If Bibi had died, they would have had no problem with pomp & circumstance.

Virus of Mass Destruction

Virus of Mass Destruction

I think they are pretty much the same.
Tom believes the b.s., while others don't.
Hey, what I believe is that a lot of the b.s. is just laughable b.s.
... coming from both parties.

So sure, a lot of this crap is “much the same.”

But I don’t think I’m anybody’s court jester, or dancing to any party’s tune!

Forum List

Back