Ultra High Def 4K television

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone have one of the new UHDTV's?

We're shopping and considering buying one. We don't really need a smart tv because, out here in the middle of nowhere, our lightening fast internet connection is so slow, we really can't stream movies. And, neither of us play games so don't care about that.

We're running into questions about the various brands and what each offers. If anyone has any knowledge about them, I'd really appreciate the input.

Biggest question is whether all programming looks better with UHD or is it only those that are produced UHD.

TIA

We're shopping and considering buying one. We don't really need a smart tv because, out here in the middle of nowhere, our lightening fast internet connection is so slow, we really can't stream movies. And, neither of us play games so don't care about that.

We're running into questions about the various brands and what each offers. If anyone has any knowledge about them, I'd really appreciate the input.

Biggest question is whether all programming looks better with UHD or is it only those that are produced UHD.

TIA
Wait a couple of years. The price will go down and the tech will get better.

I can only add a few things that I think are worthwhile, first, read as much as you can about 4k before you buy. Second, there isn't much 4k content out there and you won't notice a difference if you don't have streaming ability. That doesn't mean that this won't change as it most certainly should in 2016, just don't expect much out of the box. Third, size matters. If you sit fairly close to a 4k your eye will notice the dramatic difference, if your TV is across a large room you won't likely notice any difference.

Prices are continuing to drop, my local Sam's Club is going to offer a Vizio 49" for $498 this week perfect for a bedroom. A 65" Samsung for $1198, a 80" Vizio will run $3400.

I can only add a few things that I think are worthwhile, first, read as much as you can about 4k before you buy. Second, there isn't much 4k content out there and you won't notice a difference if you don't have streaming ability. That doesn't mean that this won't change as it most certainly should in 2016, just don't expect much out of the box. Third, size matters. If you sit fairly close to a 4k your eye will notice the dramatic difference, if your TV is across a large room you won't likely notice any difference.

Prices are continuing to drop, my local Sam's Club is going to offer a Vizio 49" for $498 this week perfect for a bedroom. A 65" Samsung for $1198, a 80" Vizio will run $3400.

We're considering a Samsung but looking at others as well.

We're limited to a 50" which Amazon has for $847. They have another for $1297 but so far, don't see any reason to make the jump.

Just did a chat with Samsung in which the robot said "since the JU6500 has UHD Upscaling it will upgrade all lower resolution media to a stunning near UHD experience with enhanced detail and optimized picture quality."

To hear them tell it, the thing is ONE-derful.

TIA

Ticks me off that we bought a new 50" two years ago and its dying and not repairable. No tv repairmen in our area anyway.

TIA

Ticks me off that we bought a new 50" two years ago and its dying and not repairable. No tv repairmen in our area anyway.
Damn that sucks. The new TV's are pretty much over priced junk compared to the older TV's anyway. Before the LED and Plasmas came out I had a TV for 15 years. Since then I have gone through 3 TV's.

TIA

Damn that sucks. The new TV's are pretty much over priced junk compared to the older TV's anyway. Before the LED and Plasmas came out I had a TV for 15 years. Since then I have gone through 3 TV's.

Way back, first VCR I bought, weighed a ton and I had it repaired several times over the time I had it. Repair guy finally said he couldn't repair it any more because no parts were available. After that, we went through several more and then several disc players.

We're limited to a 50" which Amazon has for $847. They have another for $1297 but so far, don't see any reason to make the jump.

Just did a chat with Samsung in which the robot said "since the JU6500 has UHD Upscaling it will upgrade all lower resolution media to a stunning near UHD experience with enhanced detail and optimized picture quality."

Samsung is very good, my son has one and I was pretty impressed with his picture. He has Fios though and the streaming is incredible.

Samsung is very good, my son has one and I was pretty impressed with his picture. He has Fios though and the streaming is incredible.
Samsung makes some good stuff. The next TV I buy will be a Samsung.

My opinion as well. Guess its time to go click on "buy".

Bought Samsung early last year and prices came down tremendously compared from 2 years ago. The receptions is very impressive best TV I ever had. Normally I don't buy extended service warranty but sales guy was able to convinced me because it's a new technology. What a coincidence mine went out after 16 months.

My opinion as well. Guess its time to go click on "buy".

Bought Samsung early last year and prices came down tremendously compared from 2 years ago. The receptions is very impressive best TV I ever had. Normally I don't buy extended service warranty but sales guy was able to convinced me because it's a new technology. What a coincidence mine went out after 16 months.

charwin95

Hey, thanks for that bit of info. We were just about to buy from Amazon and usually don't buy extended warranties either. In this case, we will and for the same reason.

Last edited:

Saving folks money for Christmas here. nuhuh is on the case. If you're not into watching contents direct from DVD, you'll never see the diff. Lots of years in imaging systems tell me this.

Because if you're source is cable or satellite or I-net streaming -- those folks are compressing the HECK out of the signals before they reach you set-top box or computer. You'll notice that at brick/mortar stores, A LOT of the 4K brands are running Demo CDs. And the picture is PHENOMENAL. But if they ran the football game that's on the other 24 brands TVs -- you wouldn't see a diff.

So if you got a lot of DVDs -- go for it. OR -- if you buy a really hi-res camera -- it's worth the extra $100 or $300..

If you're not into watching contents direct from DVD, you'll never see the diff.
Agreed, but I'd almost think that regular DVDs wouldn't even be good enough - probably have to go Blu-Ray before you'd notice a real difference.

TIA

Regular, old resolution was just fine. Higher rez isn't gonna make crap not-crap. :) Until movies or programming incorporates something visually requiring higher-resolution, it's just a gimmick.

I was looking into buying one over the weekend

Key points:

1. Not much UHDTV content being broadcast. I guess Blue Ray would provide the resolution

2. You have to be within five feet to notice the difference

My hi def TV is just fine for me besides the way I see it when I have to replace mine then 4K will probably be the standard and it will be cheap

So I'll wait

BEsides how many pores do you need to see an someone's face anyway?

is 4 k the price or what? i just have a flat screen....no real pedigree....
they are junk as someone said and you have to replace them about ever 3 years....and never buy shit the first year it comes out...let them trouble shoot it...and the price will get lower

My hi def TV is just fine for me besides the way I see it when I have to replace mine then 4K will probably be the standard and it will be cheap

So I'll wait

BEsides how many pores do you need to see an someone's face anyway?

Thats about the way I heard it explained

If you look at grains of sand on a beach, you have to get real close to see individual grains. From afar, it looks the same regardless of resolution

Do you realy want that level of detail?

Eventually, 4G will be all they sell and you won't have a choice

Forum List

Back