Ulcer

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ugh, I think I may have an ulcer. Right now I'm waiting for the student health center to call and tell me I can go see them. It started about last spring when I noticed a dwindling appetite, which I chalked up to slowing metabolism. I should have known something was up when I got sick at the end of meals instead of full. Last night, I went to Taco Bell and spent about 3 hours praying for an antacid. No bloody stool or vomit yet, though. However, with the amount of stress associated with my major, I may have to take a semester off of school to let this heal, then go to summer school to make up for it. Anybody else ever have a problem like this who can offer their advice?

Hobbit said:
Ugh, I think I may have an ulcer. Right now I'm waiting for the student health center to call and tell me I can go see them. It started about last spring when I noticed a dwindling appetite, which I chalked up to slowing metabolism. I should have known something was up when I got sick at the end of meals instead of full. Last night, I went to Taco Bell and spent about 3 hours praying for an antacid. No bloody stool or vomit yet, though. However, with the amount of stress associated with my major, I may have to take a semester off of school to let this heal, then go to summer school to make up for it. Anybody else ever have a problem like this who can offer their advice?

Lots of possibilities OTHER than an ulcer. I'd listen to your doc first. Cyber diagnosis can be a dangerous thing.Good luck !!!!

I had/have an ulcer - viral in nature. I was on a 10-pills-a-day for 14 days regimen. My symptoms presented bad stomach acid-acid reflux feeling which subsided immediately after I ate something; only to return minutes/an hour later.

Just got back. Doc says it's BAAAD acid, so I'm on Prilosec. Still, my stress level needs to drop drastically.

Hobbit said:
Just got back. Doc says it's BAAAD acid, so I'm on Prilosec. Still, my stress level needs to drop drastically.

had ulcers for 20 years three differnt kinds actually and have bad and excessive acid...

so take you pills, cut back on coffee, booze, tomatoes, spicy stuff...eat regularly and buy stock in Prilosec.

manu1959 said:
had ulcers for 20 years three differnt kinds actually and have bad and excessive acid...

so take you pills, cut back on coffee, booze, tomatoes, spicy stuff...eat regularly and buy stock in Prilosec.

Yeah what he said...just don't drop out of school cuz things got uncomfortable.

Mr. P said:
Yeah what he said...just don't drop out of school cuz things got uncomfortable.

Wasn't planning on dropping out so much as rolling back, and that on a VERY temporary basis. Semester off was a bit extreme, but I didn't want to kill my stomach. As is, I may just take a slightly lighter course load (9-12 hours instead of 15-18) and make up for it over the summer. Thanks for all the advice, though. Right now I'm just stuck on Prilosec and a low flavor diet.

Hobbit said:
Wasn't planning on dropping out so much as rolling back, and that on a VERY temporary basis. Semester off was a bit extreme, but I didn't want to kill my stomach. As is, I may just take a slightly lighter course load (9-12 hours instead of 15-18) and make up for it over the summer. Thanks for all the advice, though. Right now I'm just stuck on Prilosec and a low flavor diet.

15-18 hours? Damn kid, you're lucky you still have a stomach.
Let's be realistic here, Okay..Ya can only push so hard and so far before things brake.
Maybe this is your personal "Yield" sign. My Best to ya..you'll be fine, just ease off the gas a bit. I mean accelerator. :D

Mr. P said:
15-18 hours? Damn kid, you're lucky you still have a stomach.
Let's be realistic here, Okay..Ya can only push so hard and so far before things brake.
Maybe this is your personal "Yield" sign. My Best to ya..you'll be fine, just ease off the gas a bit. I mean accelerator. :D

Yeah what he said...you are only young once

Hobbit said:

Many years ago, but 2nd year of college. Diagnosed with both pre-ulcers and pre-coloitis. Practiced yoga and ate better. Later, I developed back problems-stress induced from what the doc said. LOL

MMMmmmmm.....Prilosec. Good stuff.

I highly recommend summer school. It always seemed easier than the regular semesters to me, and it let me take less hours during the year.

Here is a good link on heartburn (GERD).

Well, I'm adjusting my life to manage my stress and it's working well. I already feel loads better, but lets see if it lasts the week.

On a side note, I always get the really wierd medical conditions. For the longest time, I just got colds and the flu like everybody else, but let's look at some of the substitutes I got after high school. In column one, what most kids have. In column two, what I got instead.

Removal of infected tonsils--------Partial removal of cancerous saliva glands
The flu--------------------------A tropical disease (I kid you not)
Chronic headaches---------------Gastritis
Shin splints----------------------A stress fracture
Itchy mosquito bites-------------Painful spider bites (there's still a numb patch of skin left from one of these)

The list goes on and on.

New Topics

Forum List

Back