Ukraine has no strategic importance, or value, to the U.S.. Ukraine use to be a part of Russia.

That is why its independence is important to the rest of the world.
From the 1931 novel "Golden calf":

"...Palamidov approached a foreign professor of economics, wanting to get an interview with him.

– I am delighted, - said the professor– - all the construction that I have seen in the USSR is grandiose. I have no doubt that the five-year plan will be fulfilled. I will write about it.
Six months later, he actually published a book in which he proved on two hundred pages that the five-year plan would be completed on schedule and that the USSR would become one of the most powerful industrial countries.

And on the two hundred and first page, the professor stated that it was for this reason that the country of the Soviets should be destroyed as soon as possible, otherwise it would bring natural death to capitalist society..."

From the 1931 novel "Golden calf":

"...Palamidov approached a foreign professor of economics, wanting to get an interview with him.

– I am delighted, - said the professor– - all the construction that I have seen in the USSR is grandiose. I have no doubt that the five-year plan will be fulfilled. I will write about it.
Six months later, he actually published a book in which he proved on two hundred pages that the five-year plan would be completed on schedule and that the USSR would become one of the most powerful industrial countries.

And on the two hundred and first page, the professor stated that it was for this reason that the country of the Soviets should be destroyed as soon as possible, otherwise it would bring natural death to capitalist society..."
?? Russia is capitalist now. Has been for decades.

It isn't just about the strategic position of Ukraine for the U.S. It is about the strategic position of Ukraine for DEMOCRACY. If Putin is allowed to take them over without resistance from those of us (and not just the U.S., for those egotistical that forget that a whole world exists out there beyond our borders) that have sworn to help protect our democratic friends, then it will embolden others (like China) to invade similar, smaller democracies around the world. Should we then allow China, via North Korea to turn South Korea into a communist, totalitarian state? Should we allow Russia to run right through the majority of Western Europe?
Standing up to Russia in Ukraine not only honors our promise to Ukraine, it stems the potential flow of totalitarianism worldwide.

This is as I see

Forum List

Back