UK Votes To Leave European Union - World Markets Tank!

Apparently somebody is buying a lot of British Pounds in The U.S. I thought to take advantage of the bargains earlier today by stocking up for a forthcoming trip and was told by the bank that delivery would take a few days longer than usual due to heavy volume but the price at which I bought would be firm. Professional currency traders normally do not take physical possession so this action suggests it's more "ordinary" people doing some bargain hunting.
Apparently somebody is buying a lot of British Pounds in The U.S. I thought to take advantage of the bargains earlier today by stocking up for a forthcoming trip and was told by the bank that delivery would take a few days longer than usual due to heavy volume but the price at which I bought would be firm. Professional currency traders normally do not take physical possession so this action suggests it's more "ordinary" people doing some bargain hunting.
Interesting cuz "ordinary" people don't normally react.so quickly. Good for you in picking up some for yourself. You're going to be able to live a rich life there during your vacation. I remember going to Mexico when the Peso was getting hammered (long, long ago). I felt like some disgustingly rich American.

It's like going to the far east.

In western Europe a hostel will cost you $25 a night in a bed sharing with 12 other people. In Bangkok you can get a room for two people for like $15, a hostel, the lowest I've seen, was about $6 for six nights in China.

Interesting cuz "ordinary" people don't normally react.so quickly. Good for you in picking up some for yourself. You're going to be able to live a rich life there during your vacation. I remember going to Mexico when the Peso was getting hammered (long, long ago). I felt like some disgustingly rich American.

In western Europe a hostel will cost you $25 a night in a bed sharing with 12 other people. In Bangkok you can get a room for two people for like $15, a hostel, the lowest I've seen, was about $6 for six nights in China.
Yep, isn't it great being a citizen of a strong Western power?

The sad truth is that they're probably still overcharging you.

Yep, isn't it great being a citizen of a strong Western power?

The sad truth is that they're probably still overcharging you.

It's great having a strong currency, which is why so many people want to move, so they can enjoy this too.

Thank you but it's not a traditional vacation. I'll be "conducting" a tour group of four mature women. Opportunity for saving is good but not "great" as the air and rail tickets are long since bought and paid for (excellent buys with Senior RailCards all 'round and advance purchase prices). Most hotels, though, booked but fortunately not prepaid until the well-timed fall in the pound. All but one of the ladies took my advice and "bought" their Sterling today, nailing the favourable rate. That one bought about 1/2 of what she had intended and will buy again on Monday if it's static or down further. She may get the best deal of all but I'm not convinced recovery will not have started by then.

The lifestyle won't change whilst there as everything is booked/arranged, even admission to special exhibits at museums and (for some) to The Farnborough Air Show (among the ladies are some retired pilots). About the only thing that might change involves food and drink but for the most part it would be hard to improve upon that already scheduled.

Mind, this is not the product of responding to breaking news - I've been closely watching The UK news since starting the trip plan over six month ago. I'm sure there will be a flood of Americans suddenly waking up to the bargain-basement sale of UK vacations so the crowds may be a bit nasty. There is not much worse than first-time travelers; especially those with an undisciplined child in tow. Sudden affordability does bring them out like houseflies to a fresh turd.

Thank you but it's not a traditional vacation. I'll be "conducting" a tour group of four mature women. Opportunity for saving is good but not "great" as the air and rail tickets are long since bought and paid for (excellent buys with Senior RailCards all 'round and advance purchase prices). Most hotels, though, booked but fortunately not prepaid until the well-timed fall in the pound. All but one of the ladies took my advice and "bought" their Sterling today, nailing the favourable rate. That one bought about 1/2 of what she had intended and will buy again on Monday if it's static or down further. She may get the best deal of all but I'm not convinced recovery will not have started by then.

The lifestyle won't change whilst there as everything is booked/arranged, even admission to special exhibits at museums and (for some) to The Farnborough Air Show (among the ladies are some retired pilots). About the only thing that might change involves food and drink but for the most part it would be hard to improve upon that already scheduled.

Mind, this is not the product of responding to breaking news - I've been closely watching The UK news since starting the trip plan over six month ago. I'm sure there will be a flood of Americans suddenly waking up to the bargain-basement sale of UK vacations so the crowds may be a bit nasty. There is not much worse than first-time travelers; especially those with an undisciplined child in tow. Sudden affordability does bring them out like houseflies to a fresh turd.
Well then treat yourself to a nice meal and drink while you're there!

That's very observant with your comment on "sudden affordability." I hadn't thought of that but you're correct that a ravaged economy and poor monetary valuation shines like a beacon for cheap and or first time tourists. Lol, poor Brits are in for more pain than they might think possible. The virgin American tourist has got to be one of the most offensive creatures on earth.

I bought some stuff last Friday but should have waited until Monday to get the very bottom. Jim Cramer and the douchebag futures traders on CNBC are proven wrong once again.

Sorry for the delay. Too much time on the political area. :p

Anyhow, I trade PBCT quite a bit. Similar to many bank stocks...relatively boring action. The thing is you have to buy a few thousand shares at a time and hope it moves up 10 or 20 cents, sell and reset a limit buy. If it goes down, just hold and take the dividend. Generally it trades in a pretty tight range.

In London today and shops are busiest I've seen in years. Tourists everywhere buying everything in sight. Business of all sorts booming and most frequent complaint I'm hearing is that you can't get employees who actually want to work. Welfare state has gone too far and it's going to take PM May a bit too long to fix that.

Saw much the same in North Yorkshire & Scotland but the " no good help" situation seemed worse there. Good luck being properly served in any restaurant other than small family-run places!

In London today and shops are busiest I've seen in years. Tourists everywhere buying everything in sight. Business of all sorts booming and most frequent complaint I'm hearing is that you can't get employees who actually want to work. Welfare state has gone too far and it's going to take PM May a bit too long to fix that.

Saw much the same in North Yorkshire & Scotland but the " no good help" situation seemed worse there. Good luck being properly served in any restaurant other than small family-run places!

The latest news does not seem to reflect your anecdotal observations. UK Business activity had its biggest decline ever last month and a recession is being forecast.

What is the effect of brexit on the hot uk housing market? That is probably the best social economic pointer, much better than those used at stock trades.

Most of the British press was so in the tank to stay in The EU that there will be no mention of any positive change. There will be some minority reportage by papers biased the other way but you can be sure they'll never be quoted by the American media - mostly wholly-owned subsidiaries of The Democrat National Committee.

Most of the British press was so in the tank to stay in The EU that there will be no mention of any positive change. There will be some minority reportage by papers biased the other way but you can be sure they'll never be quoted by the American media - mostly wholly-owned subsidiaries of The Democrat National Committee.
The American far right alt media follows the same game plan: absolutely nothing positive about those it opposes in the responsible right, center, and left.

Forum List

Back