UK slashes armed forces by 10 percent

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Cameron's government, which came to power in May, announced the reductions a day ahead of revealing how it plans to cut spending across the board in the face of deficits.

"Defense cannot continue on unaffordable footing," the government said in a statement explaining the Strategic Defense and Security Review, as the exercise was called.

UK slashes armed forces by 10 percent - CNN.com

Maybe we CAN learn a thing or two from our friends across the pond?

Good for THEM...Maybe WE can pull our bases away from our friends and SEE if they up their level>?

My bet is that they would be forced to.

I am with you. I am hoping the GOP has included foreign soil base closures as part of cost cutting measures in their "Contract Hit on America". What do you think?

Cameron's government, which came to power in May, announced the reductions a day ahead of revealing how it plans to cut spending across the board in the face of deficits.

"Defense cannot continue on unaffordable footing," the government said in a statement explaining the Strategic Defense and Security Review, as the exercise was called.

They gonna pay them unemployment for 99 weeks? and then extend it? Then why slash them in the first place you bigg asssed DUmmie.

Across the board.

You could cut defense spending 20% and the welfare state here would not stand still for 5% cuts of their budgets.

How would anyone know? When was the last time defense spending was cut by 20%? I don't even believe Clilnton made those sort of cuts.

They can only do that because wasting money on excessive unnecessary militarism is not mandated by their Constitution, like us...

...we have to overspend on the military. As it is written...

What? Get a benevolent world power to catch our backs? Who might that be? There's a reason Canada's got a 60,000 man army as well..

Come on.

Last edited:
Across the board.

You could cut defense spending 20% and the welfare state here would not stand still for 5% cuts of their budgets.

How would anyone know? When was the last time defense spending was cut by 20%? I don't even believe Clilnton made those sort of cuts.

Pick a number.

Would not matter how much you cut defense spending.

No other constituency would tolerate cuts.

Across the board.

Pick a number.

Would not matter how much you cut defense spending.

No other constituency would tolerate cuts.

OK. I will try one last time to get a straight answer out of you. When was the last time the GOP took up cutting our defense budget by 5%?

C'mon. Let's cut it all by 20 percent, welfare, education, entitlements, military.

Welfare? Can control it. Lower Level safety net...Not a hammock.

Education? DOE must GO. Control goes back LOCAL where it should be versus making States BEG for their own money...

Entitlements? Why have them in the first palce...especially when it comes to Government employment. Pay for it like the rest of us.

Military? :eusa_hand: Public safety? Only Mandated item you write of. Sure hold Contractors liable...but cut it? NOPE. We've been bitten already or wasn't the fiasco transition between George W. Bush and Clinton a learned lesson?

Clinton Cut it back...Carter cut it back...we suffered as a result. NO GO on Military.

Who cares what the UK does. Honestly.

We know they are even more liberal than our liberals, so therefore care even less about thier Vets than ours do.

They are just avoiding riots, b/c they know thier military men and women love thier cuntry so much that they chose to put thier lives in danger. So it's only natural to know that these honorable people won't riot in the streets like the libs in other countries are doing.

My heart goes out to thier Veterans and families. I know what the liberals will do to you.

Forum List

Back