UK Moves to Deny Surgery to Smokers

If you allow smoking in your bar, then I will NOT be a patron of it. If you want to smoke yourself to death, I frankly don't give a damn. It is YOUR choice. So how is that trying to regulate your behavior? Go for it. Smoke yourself into an early grave.

No fur off my muzzle.

IF the hospital wants to put restrictions on who they choose to operate on, it is their choice. If you don't like it, feel free to find another hospital.

and you make my own point. Owners of property/establishments should set their own standards. Those that disagree, will opt not to patronize.

I'm in Illinois, in January the state will be 'smoke free' regarding public areas, including restaurants and bars. We are already transitioning to our homes, so our smoking friends are comfortable. Our favorite meeting place is concerned, we drop about $100 bucks per week. We have offered to allow their servers to come to our homes and join us. No tips of course.

treating the illness of a smoker is preferential treatment?

if the hospital says quit smoking for 30 days prior to the operation and the tobacco addict can't do it then going through with the operation IS preferential treatment... IMO...

why should the hospital waste it's time and resources on someone who refuses to help themselves?

There are far too many patients who want treatment and are willing to give up this or that in order to get it. Those that aren't willing, should be free to find another insurance carrier, medical facility or country.

If you allow smoking in your bar, then I will NOT be a patron of it. If you want to smoke yourself to death, I frankly don't give a damn. It is YOUR choice. So how is that trying to regulate your behavior? Go for it. Smoke yourself into an early grave.

No fur off my muzzle.

IF the hospital wants to put restrictions on who they choose to operate on, it is their choice. If you don't like it, feel free to find another hospital.

I assure you that all the bar owners under the heel of recent pink lunger legislation would GLADLY let you choose another bar rather than go out of business thanks to a smoking ban.. indeed, no skin off of my nuts either.

you hate smoke.. some hate sugar. others hate fat. yay.

again, if you can judge then prepare to be judged since im SURE you dont live like the model of health according to someone elses opinion.

because RGS, rsr's thread opener is about medical care in ENGLAND... didn't you bother to read it?

So, any thread about, say the US, should we only listen to Americans? You can not see the relevance of british health care and the insistance by some in the US we should have a similar system?

Shall I from now on ask anyone I suspect of not being a US citizen or alien living in the US the question " are you an American" in every thread about the US?

if the hospital says quit smoking for 30 days prior to the operation and the tobacco addict can't do it then going through with the operation IS preferential treatment... IMO...
why should the hospital waste it's time and resources on someone who refuses to help themselves?
There are far too many patients who want treatment and are willing to give up this or that in order to get it. Those that aren't willing, should be free to find another insurance carrier, medical facility or country.

im sure to a pink lunger ANYTHING that can fuck with a smoker is well within the realms of their opinon of preferential treatment.

again, are those going for tripple bypass surgeries told to lose weight or no operation?

no?

ok then.

I assure you that diabetes patients arent restricted from health care because they ate a candy bar a week before their operation. However, it seems to be fine to fuck with smokers these days.

Again, youd scream if doctor christians refused to treat gay people because of THEIR opinions about homosexuality... figure out why they would be just as wrong as you are.

and you make my own point. Owners of property/establishments should set their own standards. Those that disagree, will opt not to patronize.

I'm in Illinois, in January the state will be 'smoke free' regarding public areas, including restaurants and bars. We are already transitioning to our homes, so our smoking friends are comfortable. Our favorite meeting place is concerned, we drop about $100 bucks per week. We have offered to allow their servers to come to our homes and join us. No tips of course.

Your favorite hangout shouldn't be concerned... we have been smoke free for years here, no one has gone out of business because the smokers quit coming in... au contraire... with the smokers gone, more non-smokers patronize their businesses.

Smokers should be allowed to smoke in their OWN homes and cars provided there are no innocent lungs being polluted. Our governator wants to make it illegal for parents to smoke in the car with children present. There's a $500 fine.

I agree with him.

I am not familiar with British law. Are people allowed to opt out of government-supplied insurance and/or purchase private insurance?

im sure to a pink lunger ANYTHING that can fuck with a smoker is well within the realms of their opinon of preferential treatment.

again, are those going for tripple bypass surgeries told to lose weight or no operation?

no?

ok then.

I assure you that diabetes patients arent restricted from health care because they ate a candy bar a week before their operation. However, it seems to be fine to fuck with smokers these days.

Again, youd scream if doctor christians refused to treat gay people because of THEIR opinions about homosexuality... figure out why they would be just as wrong as you are.

I do NOT smoke, I have never smoked. I do NOT like being around smokers while they smoke.

Denying care this way is SIMPLY WRONG. As you have noted no other "life style" is being forced to make changes like this. And I am waiting also for that explanation of why THIS is good policy but Christians can not refuse treatment to gays for their " dangerous" life style.

I do smoke.

and my city just passed a smoking ban in bars this year.

so far, 6 locations paid the price for the vote of a city council and had to close their doors since their MARKET left to find a business that will cater to their smoking needs.

This is one issue that makes me as leary of the left as I am of the right.

you can take your self righteous pink lunger opinion with you when you go find yourself a non smoking bar to hang out at instead of having to poke your opinion on a legal substance into everyones business.

there is an aspect of 'big brother' here, I will admit, but my guess is that smokers who wish to pay for operations out of pocket would get treated in a timely fashion.

If taxpayers are paying the freight, some risk management assumptions are appropriate to be made.

I doubt that anyone would think twice if a 90 year old patient were turned down by their insurance company for a heart transplant....a similar assumption.

I assure you that all the bar owners under the heel of recent pink lunger legislation would GLADLY let you choose another bar rather than go out of business thanks to a smoking ban.. indeed, no skin off of my nuts either.

you hate smoke.. some hate sugar. others hate fat. yay.

again, if you can judge then prepare to be judged since im SURE you dont live like the model of health according to someone elses opinion.

Bar owners here have NOT gone out of business because their tobacco addicts were forced to smoke elsewhere. Their business for the most part has INCREASED because there are more NONsmokers than smokers... think about it... it might do your bottom line some good... or you can continue to smoke... I don't care... as I won't be going to your bar anyway.

It's the medical community in ENGLAND that is setting the standards we are discussing. If that's what they want, then that's their choice. Should you be a brit and want care in their facilities, you will do as they ask or you can find another establishment that will cater to you. It's YOUR choice. Either quit smoking for a month and get treated or find another medical facility. Simple.

I do smoke.

and my city just passed a smoking ban in bars.

and, as of 2007, 6 locations paid the price for the vote of a city council and had to close their doors since their MARKET left to find a business that will cater to their smoking needs.

This is one issue that makes me as leary of the left as I am of the right.

you can take your self righteous pink lunger opinion with you when you go find yourself a non smoking bar to hang out at instead of having to poke your opinion on a legal substance into everyones business.

You will find I agree with you. It is NOT Governments buisness to tell private buisness they can not allow smoking. I will concide that in Government buildings the Government is free to impose these restrictions. Telling a bar they can not allow smoking is idiotic.

The CUSTOMERS will decide if they want to frequent an establishment . Last I checked there is no "public" concern nor requirement that FORCES people to go into bars for ANY reason.

I do like the no smoking areas in most states in eating places. BUT I will even concede any MANDATORY law on that is wrong.

If non smokers think smoking is so dangerous and so threatening, then outlaw it. ( watch what happens if they try that) I am free to make my choices without government legislating "life style"

there is an aspect of 'big brother' here, I will admit, but my guess is that smokers who wish to pay for operations out of pocket would get treated in a timely fashion.

If taxpayers are paying the freight, some risk management assumptions are appropriate to be made.

I doubt that anyone would think twice if a 90 year old patient were turned down by their insurance company for a heart transplant....a similar assumption.

how far do you want to let people take that rationalization?

'cause i garentee that gays and birth control would be the first to get nixed due to the OPINIONS of others with a personal bone to pick.

So, any thread about, say the US, should we only listen to Americans? You can not see the relevance of british health care and the insistance by some in the US we should have a similar system?

Shall I from now on ask anyone I suspect of not being a US citizen or alien living in the US the question " are you an American" in every thread about the US?

the situation we are discussing is in ENGLAND...

But if you want to waste your key strokes every time by asking me if I'm an american, be my guest... I don't care...

If you want to smoke yourself to death, go for it. I don't care... same goes for shogun and kathianne... if you want to smoke yourself into an early grave, there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop you. It's YOUR choice. have fun.

how far do you want to let people take that rationalization?

'cause i garentee that gays and birth control would be the first to get nixed due to the OPINIONS of others with a personal bone to pick.

how far the rationalization is taken is clearly a political decision and will always be. And it will be a differing distances down the path at different times.

But the decision is only one of "degree" and not one of "kind". THAT decision was made long ago.

Bar owners here have NOT gone out of business because their tobacco addicts were forced to smoke elsewhere. Their business for the most part has INCREASED because there are more NONsmokers than smokers... think about it... it might do your bottom line some good... or you can continue to smoke... I don't care... as I won't be going to your bar anyway.

It's the medical community in ENGLAND that is setting the standards we are discussing. If that's what they want, then that's their choice. Should you be a brit and want care in their facilities, you will do as they ask or you can find another establishment that will cater to you. It's YOUR choice. Either quit smoking for a month and get treated or find another medical facility. Simple.

yea yea yea... the pink lungers said the same thing here.. yet LO AND BEHOLD.... if you ban it, they will come... unfortunatly, what you refuse to admit is tht if their were a MARKET FOR NON SMOKING IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN A BAN WOULD NOT AT ALL BE NECESSARY BECAUSE THE BUSINESSES WOULD HAVE SWITCHED ON THEIR OWN.

I have to admit.. pink lunger zealots sound more and more like pat robertson every day.

i can hear it not...

"sorry, mr homosexual.. your lifestyle does not maximize your potential health and is probably exactly why you have COLON CANCER in the first place.. I suggest you stop taking it up the ass for a month before you come in here expecting treatment for colon cancer."

yea.. thats the world I sure want to live in.

no?

ok then.

Again, shogun, it is the medical services of ENGLAND we are discussing... if they choose to limit their services to those that are obese, are suffering from diabetes or are tobacco addicts, it is apparently their option in ENGLAND to do so.

If you are living in England as an obese tobacco addict with diabetes who is also gay then I suppose you have a beef.... are you?

Forum List

Back