UK Moves to Deny Surgery to Smokers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by red states rule, Jun 7, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Another reason why government run health care will not work

Smokers told to quit or surgery will be refused
    By DAN NEWLING - More by this author »

Last updated at 16:02pm on 4th June 2007

Smokers are to be denied operations on the Health Service unless they give up cigarettes for at least four weeks beforehand.

Doctors will police the rule by ordering patients to take a blood test to prove they have not been smoking.

The ruling, authorised by Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt, comes after medical research conclusively showed smokers take longer to recover from surgery.

It is thought that 500,000 smokers a year will be affected.

However patients' groups argue that the move is about the NHS saving money rather than improving patient care.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=459574&in_page_id=1770

2. T-Bor

T-Bor Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I guess we should all give up eating fried chicken sandwiches also. I mean seriously, if ate 20 Fried chicken sandiwches a day I would be dead from that before the smokes...Govts are so screwed up.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Only in the 'developed' nations would this be a point of contention. Seriously, it seems the governments of first world nations are hell bent on controlling our every movement.

4. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The ruling, authorised by Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt, comes after medical research conclusively showed smokers take longer to recover from surgery.

Then it's for their own benefit...

:eusa_boohoo: do you think that addicts should be given special treatment? Why should they take up space in the hospital when they refuse to take responsibility for their own health concerns?

They should be given the option... you can have the surgery or your addiction... your choice...:eusa_boohoo:

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Cool. Let all the alcoholics, heroine addicts, and crack heads die too.

6. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If that's their choice, fine... who am I to say that they shouldn't do as they want? If they want to feed their habit instead of heal their body, then let them.

Are you saying that you care about addicts? Or are you just being contrary?

and obtw, that's heroin addicts...

heroines are female heroes... and them I am in favor of saving...

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    the anti smoking agenda really chaffes my sense of "live and let live"

fat people have medical complications too.. do we make a stroke victim lose weight before treatment? I have to call shennanigans on the pink lunger bullshit.

8. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If you want to smoke yourself into oblivion in the privacy of your own home or car, it is not my place to try and stop you from doing so. But if you want to smoke around me, we are going to have a problem.

If you want to utilize public medical services and refuse to curtail your habit, then you will get no sympathy from me when you are refused. It's all about responsibility. The smokers' responsibility.

Do you think addicts should be given different or preferential treatment because they don't have the will power to just say no?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Kill them all. Hey don't stop there, anyone over 60, Soylent Green rules! Why stop at addicts, get rid of all the flotsam.

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    So. Private insurance companies make decisions about what conditions they will treat and what conditions they will not treat. They will set higher premiums for people under certain conditions. They will include disclaimer in fine print. They will delay payment on claims as much as they can within reason. Government is not that much different than is the private sector in this regard. Follow the money: Rake in as much money as you can and provide as little service as you are obligated to

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1