UK: Man, 22, Dies After Liver Transplant Refused

Alcoholic, 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

Fucking idiot, you failed to post the fact he's an alcoholic. An alcoholic would have a very tough time of getting a liver transplant here NOW.

And you failed to post this:
A 22-year-old alcoholic has died after being refused a life-saving liver transplant because he was too ill to leave hospital and prove he could stay sober

A legacy of the George Best saga.

Under our current health care system he would likely have been denied a liver too as alcohalics are usually at the bottom of the list...so...why are you calling it "Obama care"?

FAIL!

I can say with certainty that the OP's point in this thread is lame, umcompelling, shrouded in deception (didnt post a link to the story revealing the actual facts), and laced with stupidity. There are rational, actual, and factual arguments to be made against universal health care, "Obama Care"... stick to em.

look at mickey mantle and steven jobs...jobs was able to jump to the head of the line...how ...money....seems you are not listed on a national but on states lists...so he registered with as many states as he could...tn had the shortest waiting list....he was able to pay for the cost of a charter plane...you have to be able to get to the liver within hours...so only the well to do can committ to charting private planes....so under our current plan...the richest get livers...as for that non drinking bullshit...the dude who sang with the mama's and papa's...got a transplant...never stopped drinking...money talks people....we sell medical care to those who can pay...is that a better system?

Alcoholic Gary Reinbach 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

Fucking idiot, you failed to post the fact he's an alcoholic. An alcoholic would have a very tough time of getting a liver transplant here NOW.

Correct. An alcoholic with liver disease would not be eligible for a liver transplant in AMERICA unless they could prove abstinence for 6 months.

Stanford University Liver Transplant Program - Adult Liver Transplants

Contraindications to Adult Liver Transplantation

• Extrahepatic malignancy
  • Extrahepatic sepsis
  • Advanced cardiopulmonary disease
  • Active or recent (< 6 months) alcoholism or substance abuse

This thread can now be closed. Thank you.

Next.

bullshit..money circumvents all them rules...you know it and i know it...

According to a transplant surgeon it was likely Mr Reinbach was not well enough to be operated on when he was hospitalized....another overlooked detail in the rush to condemn any sort of public healthcare.

Alcoholic, 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

And you failed to post this:

Under our current health care system he would likely have been denied a liver too as alcohalics are usually at the bottom of the list...so...why are you calling it "Obama care"?

:confused:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'm not sure why you say that I'm calling it "Obama Care". I've never used that term. It wasn't my OP.

Alcoholic Gary Reinbach 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

Correct. An alcoholic with liver disease would not be eligible for a liver transplant in AMERICA unless they could prove abstinence for 6 months.

Stanford University Liver Transplant Program - Adult Liver Transplants

Contraindications to Adult Liver Transplantation

• Extrahepatic malignancy
  • Extrahepatic sepsis
  • Advanced cardiopulmonary disease
  • Active or recent (< 6 months) alcoholism or substance abuse

This thread can now be closed. Thank you.

Next.

bullshit..money circumvents all them rules...you know it and i know it...

In some situations, this is true.

But this fact has nothing to do with nationalized healthcare vs. American healthcare. 99.9% of the time if you are a continuing alcoholic, you will not get a liver.

The family of a 17-year-old leukemia patient blamed Cigna Corp. on Friday for her death, saying the health insurance giant's initial refusal to pay for a liver transplant contributed to her death.

"They took my daughter away from me," said Nataline Sarkisyan's father, Krikor, with tears in his eyes at a news conference at his lawyer's office.

The Philadelphia-based insurer had initially refused to pay for the procedure, saying it was experimental. The company reversed the decision Thursday as about 150 nurses and community members rallied outside of its office in Glendale in suburban Los Angeles. Nataline died just hours later.

FOXNews.com - Family Attorney Says He'll Sue Insurance Company That Initially Denied 17-Year-Old Girl a Liver Transplant - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

I feel very bad for that girl and her family, however, we must always remember that:

the need to protect the profit margin of health insurance companies is paramount.

:confused:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'm not sure why you say that I'm calling it "Obama Care". I've never used that term. It wasn't my OP.

Oops...:redface:....maybe because in a moment of righteous typing frenzy I uh...responded to the wrong post? (very red faced)

The family is crying about how he wasn't given a chance.

The alcoholic, from Dagenham, Essex, had admitted binge drinking since he was 13 but was only taken to hospital for the first time with liver problems 10 weeks ago.

He had EIGHT YEARS to change. My question is, why the fuck did the family allow him to binge drink for eight years?

What were they gonna do? Give the guy the liver so he could waste it while someone else on the list who actually deserved it dies? :eusa_eh:

Back the trolly up one fucking minute. You mean to tell me if we go to Obamacare we're not really go to treat people based on need, we're going to treat them on the basis of who deserves it the most?

The alcoholic, from Dagenham, Essex, had admitted binge drinking since he was 13 but was only taken to hospital for the first time with liver problems 10 weeks ago.

He had EIGHT YEARS to change. My question is, why the fuck did the family allow him to binge drink for eight years?

What were they gonna do? Give the guy the liver so he could waste it while someone else on the list who actually deserved it dies? :eusa_eh:

Back the trolly up one fucking minute. You mean to tell me if we go to Obamacare we're not really go to treat people based on need, we're going to treat them on the basis of who deserves it the most?

That calls for prediction of US treatment implications based on extrapolation of National Health Service policy. On that basis, many factors come into play:

• Age of patient
  • Proven quality of treatment
  • Availability of organs (if appropriate)
  • Cost of treatment
  • Location of patient (i.e. where they live, what is called the "postcode lottery" in England)
  • Likelihood of success (which would take into account the patient's lifestyle)

The order of priority given to these factors will depend on who you ask and what ax they have to grind. BTW, that's not an exhaustive list, just what I could think up on the spur of the moment.

no, YOU back up the fucking truth trolly, dude. Do you think we currently give rarely dontated organs like livers to fucking alcoholics? I realize you people have an insatiable urge to cry that the sky is falling but go tell a doctor that you smoke three packs a day after asking for a lung transplant and see how soon you get one.

Welcome to Obama care.:eek:

really, freakshow?

how 'bout this one?

The family of a 17-year-old leukemia patient blamed Cigna Corp. on Friday for her death, saying the health insurance giant's initial refusal to pay for a liver transplant contributed to her death.

"They took my daughter away from me," said Nataline Sarkisyan's father, Krikor, with tears in his eyes at a news conference at his lawyer's office.

The Philadelphia-based insurer had initially refused to pay for the procedure, saying it was experimental. The company reversed the decision Thursday as about 150 nurses and community members rallied outside of its office in Glendale in suburban Los Angeles. Nataline died just hours later.

FOXNews.com - Family Attorney Says He'll Sue Insurance Company That Initially Denied 17-Year-Old Girl a Liver Transplant - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Why are you libeals always so angry?

"A June report by HCAN lists numerous investigations, court cases, settlements and personal anecdotes involving health insurance companies’ denial of coverage. Top health insurance companies recently told Congress that they wouldn’t stop canceling coverage for some sick customers, a practice criticized by both Democrats and Republicans. And certainly there are plenty of individual stories of medication and procedures being denied by insurance companies. HCAN’s spokeswoman pointed out that Obama has called for rules that would forbid insurance companies from rejecting customers based on preexisting conditions. Still, it remains to be seen whether certain drugs or procedures wouldn’t be denied to customers under a public plan as well. In fact, the criticism from conservatives has been that a public plan would be stingy in what it would cover in an effort to control costs. We can’t predict the future, but we find it unlikely that at least some denials wouldn’t take place no matter who is issuing insurance."
FactCheck.org: Pushing for a Public Plan

And how many have died in the US for being refused a transplant or other treatment because their insurance wouldn't pay for it? A lot ....

Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic.

"The 1995 case of Mickey Mantle's liver transplant was worrisome to many on both accounts. Mantle, a famous baseball player, was 63 years old, and had spent 43 years as an alcoholic. Although he had been recovering from his alcoholism for a year and a half, his liver was ruined due to both alcoholism and hepatitis C. The hepatitis C was believed to have been contracted from a blood transfusion he received during surgery for a sports-related injury, but may have been contracted during a life-time of drunken womanizing, as well. In addition, he had a tumor in his liver, called a hepatoma, which compressed his bile duct. Although the average wait time on the list to receive a liver in 1995 was three to four months, Mantle received his in a day. "
Organ Allocation Issues

Premise: the rich and well connected will continue to receive the best care.

There is no indication that this would change under a public healthcare program.

I think Ozz must be a political spin doctor. It's not that they lie. They just don't tell the truth.

Forum List

Back