UK: Man, 22, Dies After Liver Transplant Refused

Alcoholic, 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

Fucking idiot, you failed to post the fact he's an alcoholic. An alcoholic would have a very tough time of getting a liver transplant here NOW.

And you failed to post this:
A 22-year-old alcoholic has died after being refused a life-saving liver transplant because he was too ill to leave hospital and prove he could stay sober

A legacy of the George Best saga.

The family is crying about how he wasn't given a chance.

The alcoholic, from Dagenham, Essex, had admitted binge drinking since he was 13 but was only taken to hospital for the first time with liver problems 10 weeks ago.

He had EIGHT YEARS to change. My question is, why the fuck did the family allow him to binge drink for eight years?

What were they gonna do? Give the guy the liver so he could waste it while someone else on the list who actually deserved it dies? :eusa_eh:

Welcome to Obama care.:eek:

really, freakshow?

how 'bout this one?

The family of a 17-year-old leukemia patient blamed Cigna Corp. on Friday for her death, saying the health insurance giant's initial refusal to pay for a liver transplant contributed to her death.

"They took my daughter away from me," said Nataline Sarkisyan's father, Krikor, with tears in his eyes at a news conference at his lawyer's office.

The Philadelphia-based insurer had initially refused to pay for the procedure, saying it was experimental. The company reversed the decision Thursday as about 150 nurses and community members rallied outside of its office in Glendale in suburban Los Angeles. Nataline died just hours later.

FOXNews.com - Family Attorney Says He'll Sue Insurance Company That Initially Denied 17-Year-Old Girl a Liver Transplant - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

The alcoholic, from Dagenham, Essex, had admitted binge drinking since he was 13 but was only taken to hospital for the first time with liver problems 10 weeks ago.

He had EIGHT YEARS to change. My question is, why the fuck did the family allow him to binge drink for eight years?

What were they gonna do? Give the guy the liver so he could waste it while someone else on the list who actually deserved it dies? :eusa_eh:

Raises the question should smokers be treated if they continue to smoke...? Smokers would probably say they've paid for their treatment via the punitive tax payable for tobacco products. If one view is reasonable, shouldn't it be so for the other as well? Taxes are high on booze as well.

That said, smokers don't get new lungs.

Essex! Hah! Had to be didn't it?

Last edited:
Raises the question should smokers be treated if they continue to smoke...? Smokers would probably say they've paid for their treatment via the punitive tax payable for tobacco products. If one view is reasonable, shouldn't it be so for the other as well? Taxes are high on booze as well.

If there is no one behind you who doesn't need a liver, then give one to who smokes or drinks. However, there are plenty of people out there who need one, did neither, and follow the guidelines required.

And how many have died in the US for being refused a transplant or other treatment because their insurance wouldn't pay for it? A lot ....

I know this, I'm simply stating Ozz is being dishonest by not revealing all the facts behind the death. He never mentioned the guy was an alcoholic binge drinker since 13.

If there is no one behind you who doesn't need a liver, then give one to who smokes or drinks. However, there are plenty of people out there who need one, did neither, and follow the guidelines required.

I just had that conversation with my wife and we arrived at the same conclusion.

Good point. If we hold drunks responsible for their diseases and deny them health care on that basis, why not smokers or fat people or sedentary people or anyone who eats at McDonalds or drives instead of walking? Perhaps the Brits have hit upon a method of holding down health care costs.

And how many have died in the US for being refused a transplant or other treatment because their insurance wouldn't pay for it? A lot ....

I know this, I'm simply stating Ozz is being dishonest by not revealing all the facts behind the death. He never mentioned the guy was an alcoholic binge drinker since 13.
I know, my post wasn't a criticism of your post.

Okay, this should be self-explanatory. There aren't enough livers to go around. When the choice is between someone who needs a liver and doesn't drink versus someone who needs a liver and is an alcoholic, you give the liver to the person who will take care of it and themselves to live a long productive life.

I have cirrhosis due to hemochromotosis. I don't drink other than a beer once every couple of months, and that's usually non-alcoholic beer. My doctor was very blunt about this. If you need a new liver, you have to prove you aren't drinking for six months before they'll give you one, just due to the simple fact they're not going to waste it on someone who isn't willing to take care of it.

No one deserves to die, and it's a shame this kid died so young. But the fact is, with such a limited supply of livers, he didn't deserve getting a new one which would have cost someone else their life.

Good point. If we hold drunks responsible for their diseases and deny them health care on that basis, why not smokers or fat people or sedentary people or anyone who eats at McDonalds or drives instead of walking? Perhaps the Brits have hit upon a method of holding down health care costs.

This guy wasn't denied healthcare to hold down costs. Christ, are you really that dumb? He was denied because there aren't enough livers available for everyone that need one and only those who actually take care of themselves and show they are capable of not destroying another liver will get one due to this shortage. It had absolutely nothing to do with cutting costs. :cuckoo:

Alcoholic Gary Reinbach 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News

Fucking idiot, you failed to post the fact he's an alcoholic. An alcoholic would have a very tough time of getting a liver transplant here NOW.

Correct. An alcoholic with liver disease would not be eligible for a liver transplant in AMERICA unless they could prove abstinence for 6 months.

Stanford University Liver Transplant Program - Adult Liver Transplants

Contraindications to Adult Liver Transplantation

• Extrahepatic malignancy
  • Extrahepatic sepsis
  • Advanced cardiopulmonary disease
  • Active or recent (< 6 months) alcoholism or substance abuse

This thread can now be closed. Thank you.

Next.

Rationing HC is now and will continue to be part of the system.

How we decide to ration it is the only real debate.

I drink, I choose to do it. If I kill my liver,It was my choice. Wouldnt want a transplant

You poor person. You just think you choose to drink, but in fact it is a serious MENTAL ILLNESS that should be treated by PROFESSIONALS! Just remember, it's not your fault. No sir! And that's why you shall have your liver transplant if you need one. Ted Kennedy won't be needing his much longer, so you'd better put in your request.

I drink, I choose to do it. If I kill my liver,It was my choice. Wouldnt want a transplant

You poor person. You just think you choose to drink, but in fact it is a serious MENTAL ILLNESS that should be treated by PROFESSIONALS! Just remember, it's not your fault. No sir! And that's why you shall have your liver transplant if you need one. Ted Kennedy won't be needing his much longer, so you'd better put in your request.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and gander that Teddy's liver is shot to hell. :D

Forum List

Back