UK (including Stephen Hawkings) to the US, QUIT DEFLAMING OUT HEALTHCARE SYSTEM

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by GHook93, Aug 13, 2009.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    The UK is coming out on the attack. They are stating the healthcare industry lobby representing a billion dollar industry that know Obama's plan will mean its death, is maliciously and recklessly defaming them.

Read the part about Steve Hawkings, who lives in London and supports the UK system. I think pundits have used great scare tactics in this debate to get falsehoods about socialized medicine out there.

Note: Did anyone think that maybe people have come to America for treatment because that doctor is the best in the field on it. I know people all over the world go to another socialized medicine country in Israel.

I know people all over the US flock to the doctors in LA, Chicago and NY! Why would that be? Because of certain doctors and not to flea a poor healthcare system, methink!

U.K. Hits Back at U.S. Health Reform 'Untruths' - Political News - FOXNews.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Perhaps when Hawking said, "I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he meant he would not be in a wheelchair today if it were not for the NHS. Maybe his meaning was that if he had had private insurance coverage in the US he might be walking around and talking today, perhaps even running marathons and singing opera. Maybe he was really wondering, "Why on Earth would the Americans consider trading in their very high quality health care system for one that put some one like me in a wheelchair?"

3. Gudrid

Gudrid Bilderbergs' Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Oh good lord. That was about the most idiotic response you could possibly come up with.

GHook - Regarding the claim that the British can't choose to pay for their own meds, do you know what the basis of that claim is? How have they arrived at this conclusion?

4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    You can't be serious? Hawking has Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS)! Its uncurable right now, so it doesn't matter if he was in the US or UK. The treatment would be the same.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How is the luckiest man alive doing?

The guy is a multimillionaire, if he wanted to come to the US for anything he could fly here in his private jet. I think his reaction is in defense of the UK healthcare system.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Its not true. You can get private health insurance (for a fraction of the cost of that for American insurance) to cover things that might not be covered by the NHC system (things that might not even be covered by American insurance)!

6. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Here is the most interesting part I thought about the article!

7. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    Where might we find this fact sheet? I'd be interested in reading it.

I don't see anything in the above article(other than 1sentence by Hawking), that is anything more than some anonymous employee of NHS defending their employer, and some opinion of an unknown author. Is there any more than that to it? and why the anonymity?

8. cunclusion

cunclusion Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The problem is it is not high quality healthcare for everyone.

9. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Not sure where it is. I googled it and couldn't find it! You come across it due share!

10. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    That's an important problem. Another important problem is the rising cost of health care, and another is the portability of health insurance, and there are others that are important, too, but this list of important problems does not constitute a health care crisis that requires hastily contrived bills to be passed out of committee before the summer recess so that they can be signed into law before the 2010 campaign season begins. The polls show that most Americans want to solve at least some of these problems, but they also show that most Americans do not support the solutions Obama is pushing or that are embodied in HR 3200. Advocates of this bill argue that if you don't support the bill you don't support change, but that is simply not true.