Uk conservatives impose windfall tax on oil profits.

Do not call left imperialist British Tories "conservatives" in the US, this is a de facto forgery.
Only the Thatcherists were right there.

Yes!
But have you stopped to consider how government has a responsibility to become involved?

What can good government do to prevent big oil from dropping the price increase right on the backs of the consumer?

And what particular government fails to act on behalf of its people?
Government is run by a bunch of stupid shits, I don't want or need that kind of help.

I don't know the dynamic in England and if the conservative are in bed with oil companies as much as the right wing here in America. But it will be interesting to see how this effects prices in England. Seeings as though they have record gas prices also.

Gas, excuse me, petrol, already costs an arm and a leg in Europe. This will clearly help....

What evidence can you provide it did work last time?
Nixon shock - Wikipedia.

"The Nixon Shock has been widely considered to be a political success, but an economic failure in bringing on the stagflation of the 1970s and leading to the instability of floating currencies..."

"The German Mark appreciated significantly after it was allowed to float in May 1971.

"Further, the Nixon Shock unleashed enormous speculation against the dollar."

Wage and price controls were imposed during WWII and the Korean War.

Maybe Dubya was right when he said sometimes you have to abandon free-market principles to save the free-market system?

https://www.cato.org/commentary/remembering-nixons-wage-price-controls

OMG they have not just installed loopholes they have installed ones which go totally against the needed work on climate change. They will apparently get a rebate on this Windfall Tax but only if they invest in fossil fuels. Green energy will not get this rebate.

If I believed in Capital Punishment the people who came up with and accepted this would be first in line. Europe is taking the sensible move - working like fire to get their Green Energy working faster than ever imagined. The UK is treating the Climate crises as if it does not exist and laying the foundations for the UK to be one of the worst in destroying the planet - and all so the Tories could try to pretend they were doing Labour's policy. (see above link)

They will apparently get a rebate on this Windfall Tax but only if they invest in fossil fuels. Green energy will not get this rebate.

Well duh, they're trying to reduce the cost of fossil fuels.
They want more investment in fossil fuels.

Well duh, they're trying to reduce the cost of fossil fuels.
They want more investment in fossil fuels.
We need to be stopping fossil fuel if we want a liveable world for us or those who come after us in 8 years. That is what the IPPC says. They say if we are using the same amount of fossil fuels in 8 years then we will be unable to avoid the worst of climate change. Cities like New York and London will be in the sea and this is only 8 years away. To be supporting them and investing in them for the future rather than in green energy imo is as bad as mass murder.

What we should be doing is working as fast as we can to get cheap green energy.

We need to be stopping fossil fuel if we want a liveable world for us or those who come after us in 8 years. That is what the IPPC says. If we are using the same amount of fossil fuels in 8 years then we will be unable to avoid the worst of climate change. Cities like New York and London will be in the sea and this is only 8 years ago. To be supporting them and investing in them for the future rather than in green energy imo is as bad as mass murder.

We need to be stopping fossil fuel if we want a liveable world for us or those who come after us in 8 years.

Baloney.

How many new nuclear power plants should we build?

We need to be stopping fossil fuel if we want a liveable world for us or those who come after us in 8 years.

Baloney.

How many new nuclear power plants should we build?
Only baloney for those who choose to remain ignorant and do not care for the future. I guess must have no children or grandchildren and no ability to think of the others who come with them.

I would be in favour of the people who have made so much money from these industries to pay for the needed change to Green. They have known about the dangers of fossil fuels since the 60's or 70's and have spent a lot of money deceiving the public.

It’s over for fossil fuels: IPCC spells out what’s needed to avert climate disaster​

Thirty months: that is the very short time the world now has for global greenhouse gas emissions to finally start to fall. If not, we will miss the chance to avoid the worst impacts of the climate crisis.

Nuclear Power plants are not a good idea. We are going to be having on going extreme weather and they are not suitable for accidents. However Nuclear fusion looks like it may be coming on board. That would work best of all.

Only baloney for those who choose to remain ignorant and do not care for the future. I guess must have no children or grandchildren and no ability to think of the others who come with them.

Baloney to believe 8 years is the difference between life and death.

Nuclear Power plants are not a good idea.

Why not? Reliable CO2-free energy sounds like a great idea.

We are going to be having on going extreme weather and they are not suitable for accidents.

What existing reactors have been damaged by "extreme weather"?

Thirty months: that is the very short time the world now has for global greenhouse gas emissions to finally start to fall. If not, we will miss the chance to avoid the worst impacts of the climate crisis.

Hilarious!

Baloney to believe 8 years is the difference between life and death.

Nuclear Power plants are not a good idea.

Why not? Reliable CO2-free energy sounds like a great idea.

I gave you my reason. Further I let you know there is now reason to believe we will have fusion working. Nothing could be better. Ridiculous to use forms of energy which can get destroyed in weather or war. It is expected wars will be even more than now as people fight for scarce resources.
We are going to be having on going extreme weather and they are not suitable for accidents.

What existing reactors have been damaged by "extreme weather"?

We haven't had the kind of weather we are going to have. I think you will find if you want to check that there have been a surprising amount of times where we have come very near catastrophy. Besides why have 2nd best. Nuclear fusion is definately the way to go as well of course as wind. wave etc.

Hilarious!
That isn't funny. That is the IPCC. I think they are talking about a very short time of increase - that will be the 30 months and then a very quick decline. By 2025 we must be in that quick decline. According to them if we are still using the same amount of fossil fuel in 8 years it is basically curtains for most of us and certainly the end of civilisation as we have known it.. Climate Disaster has always been something for us to work to avoid. Until now, not something which was about to happen on a very serious level. The problem is we have not done that work. Regan was ready to do it...then we got all the fossil fuel propaganda which it seems you ate but which they knew even then was lies. Thankfully there are very very few people who now do not take this situation seriously. Unfortunately those who make money out of it and have already somewhere waiting for them which they wrongly believe will keep them and their families safe will continue to push and unfortunately our Governments are mainly paid by them. That is why you get organisations like Extinction Rebellion trying to waken people up so we survive. This is the end result of poorly regulated capitalism.

Last edited:
I gave you my reason. Further I let you know there is now reason to believe we will have fusion working. Nothing could be better. Ridiculous to use forms of energy which can get destroyed in weather or war. It is expected wars will be even more than now as people fight for scarce resources.

We haven't had the kind of weather we are going to have. I think you will find if you want to check that there have been a surprising amount of times where we have come very near catastrophy. Besides why have 2nd best. Nuclear fusion is definately the way to go as well of course as wind. wave etc.

That isn't funny. That is the IPCC. I think they are talking about a very short time of increase - that will be the 30 months and then a very quick decline. By 2025 we must be in that quick decline. According to them if we are still using the same amount of fossil fuel in 8 years it is basically curtains for most of us and certainly the end of civilisation as we have known it.. Climate Disaster has always been something for us to work to avoid. Until now, not something which was about to happen on a very serious level. The problem is we have not done that work. Regan was ready to do it...then we got all the fossil fuel propaganda which it seems you ate but which they knew even then was lies. Thankfully there are very very few people who now do not take this situation seriously. Unfortunately those who make money out of it and have already somewhere waiting for them which they wrongly believe will keep them and their families safe will continue to push and unfortunately our Governments are mainly paid by them. That is why you get organisations like Extinction Rebellion trying to waken people up so we survive. This is the end result of poorly regulated capitalism.

I gave you my reason.

A nonsensical one.

Ridiculous to use forms of energy which can get destroyed in weather or war.

How many nuclear reactors have been destroyed by weather?

Besides why have 2nd best.

No kidding. Of course wind and solar are 4th and 5th best.

That isn't funny. That is the IPCC. I think they are talking about a very short time of increase - that will be the 30 months and then a very quick decline.

I know, hilarious!

According to them if we are still using the same amount of fossil fuel in 8 years it is basically curtains for most of us and certainly the end of civilisation as we have known it..

Stop it! You're making my sides hurt.

Regan was ready to do it...

What, specifically?

This is the end result of poorly regulated capitalism.

Better than capitalism regulated by morons.

Forum List

Back