UK 'breached international law'

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Stephanie, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    :wtf:

The British government could face claims it violated international humanitarian laws by allowing US arms flights to Israel to use UK airports.
    The Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC) is seeking permission to contest government bodies over what it says are crimes against the Geneva Convention.
    A number of US planes said to be carrying bombs to Israel refuelled in the UK during the Lebanon conflict.

The IHRC said it received complaints from Britons with families in Lebanon.

The commission is accusing the government of "grave and serious violations" of international humanitarian law.

It is seeking permission to bring its case against the Civil Aviation Authority, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and Defence Secretary Des Brown in the High Court.

The IHRC said it is bringing the case after receiving "many complaints ... from British citizens whose family members are in Lebanon and facing grave danger as well as acts of terror".

The US aircraft believed to have refuelled in the UK are said to have been carrying supplies including "bunker buster bombs".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5273228.stm

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Islamic Human Rights Commission? That's a bigger oxymoron than Central Intelligence Agency. If those lousy ingrates want somebody to blame for Lebanese casualties, blame Hamas instead of becoming another cog in the great PR machine that attacks the west's most glaring weakness...Political Correctness.

3. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359

You notice, not one word about Hezzbollah lobbing 3000 or more rockets and missiles at Israel..

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Oh puulllease. Talk about picking and choosing which 'International Human Rights Laws' they like and which ones they don't.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Ive gone through the Geneva Convention alot for my classes, I dont remember there being a part that says its illegal to refuel plans because they are carrying arms to help defend a nation that is constantly under attack from a bunch of extremists.

And to be honest, I think the problem with the Geneva Convention they are outdated. I am not saying we should encourage people to attack civilians or treat prisoners of war badly. But we are talking about a Convention that was organized around 60 years ago. The world has changed. The circumstances have changed. Laws should change to reflect those circumstances.

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Maybe they've mistaken the EU code of conduct with the Geneva Convention? :huh:

The UK is in violation of that.

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Hmmm...I don't suppose they mentioned Iran and/or Syria sending arms to Lebanon? "Human rights commission" my ass!

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Exactly. Bottom line is "those who live in glass houses......."