uh,ooh Obama is in trouble again. Speeches are not working

Both President Obama’s health care plan and his presidency are going down the toilet.

This is well, and right, and just as it should be.

Obama is turning out to be a disastrous president, wholly unsuited for the times and our national and global challenges, and his job approval ratings reflect this.

In Obama, we get all the corporate toadying of the last Democratic president, along with an even greater unwillingness than Clinton – and who would’ve thought that was possible – to name names, call out enemies, and throw a freakin’ punch every other year or so. (We’re also getting a continuation of the civil rights and civil liberties policies of Dick Cheney, as an extra added bonus, but that’s another story.) What makes it even more astonishing this time around, however, is that we’ve seen this movie before, and we know how it ends. There is apparently absolutely no bottom – as the events of recent weeks have reconfirmed – to the pit of vicious lies, brutal tactics, and democracy-demolishing antics of which regressives will avail themselves in their practice of contemporary American politics. In addition to not being prepared for that, Barack Obama is still seemingly unable to raise his voice a decibel or two against the very people who are helping him to destroy his own presidency. Indeed, he is negotiating ‘bipartisan’ (read: total capitulation) deals with them, even as they relentlessly trash him before a national audience.

Is this president so deluded that he believes there are limitations on what the right will do not only to the republic, for which Obama seems to have only passing regard, but also to his presidency, for which we might imagine he would have at least some concern? Does the Kumbaya Kid think that regressives won’t seek to annihilate him every bit as much as they did Bill Clinton, even as they are obsessing at this very moment over harebrained conspiracy stories challenging his very legal right to be president, his very citizenship? Does this guy who seems to want, more than anything, for everyone just to be happy and sing along in the same key, still really believe in bipartisanship, at the very moment when the very people with whom he is negotiating are reinforcing the most absurd and inflammatory lies asserting the elder-cide intentions of his health-care bill?...

...One might be excused for beginning to get the feeling that what Obama really wants from healthcare reform is simply to be able to say that he did it. No matter that there is almost no reform in his healthcare reform legislation. No matter that he doesn’t even have his own proposal, but is deferring to the worst elements of a legislative body that is a wholly owned subsidiary of American corporate interests. No matter that whatever little effect the legislation will have won’t even begin to be seen for another four years, and then will be phased in after that, over yet another period of several years. And no matter that, even after the law goes into effect, this country will continue to suffer from all the major maladies of a system designed principally to provide profits for a few, rather than healthcare for all.

What continues to astonish me, however, is what passes for political calculus in the White House these days. I never assumed that Obama would necessarily be any different from Bill Clinton, in the sense that he might actually have a set of good progressive politics or that he might actually give a damn about the American public. No disappointment there (although did he have to be even worse than that, more like Bush than Clinton?). However, I always assume that almost all politicians are completely consumed by the one thing that Clinton was ever truly passionate about: self-interest.

But, even purely from that narrowest of perspectives, does the Obama team actually believe that their strategy is helping their guy politically? Do they really like the way that their failure to articulate a plan, or even a set of fundamental principles, has worked out in terms of shaping the debate over healthcare? Is it really their belief that they can go to the voters in 2012 and win their hearts with a nothingburger healthcare plan, passed three years prior, and due to fully kick in three years hence? I hate more than a root canal sans novocaine to sound like one of the regressives whom I so very much loathe, but if this is the level of political sophistication to be found in the Obama White House, then, no, as a matter of fact, I really don’t want this clown negotiating with Vladimir Putin.

Barack Obama has given us the worst of all worlds. Passage of a healthcare reform bill – even something barely remotely worthy of the name – now seems like a dubious proposition. If it does pass, it won’t be worth squat. Meanwhile, all the ugliest and most deceitful tactics of regressive politics have floated to the surface in the cesspool of American political discourse, weakly countered at best by a White House that could make SpongeBob SquarePants look like the love child of Genghis Khan and Joseph Stalin by comparison, and is so lame that it couldn’t anticipate and inoculate against these assaults that any fool who wasn’t entirely comatose over the last three decades could plainly see were coming. Worst of all, when the smoke finally clears, this debacle will entail a massive discrediting of so-called liberalism, and a severe imperiling of the Democratic Party (not that it much matters) in the next two election cycles. Think about that for a second. How absolutely, utterly, magnificently inept does one have to be to have revived the hopes of the GOP, a mere 200 days after George W. Bush and Dick Cheney left office? Not just any idiot could pull off a stunt that big, I tell ya. A job like that requires a world-class moron.

What Obama should have done is simple, and therefore all the more astonishing that they missed it. First off, he should have formulated a serious plan (perhaps in faux negotiations with certain key congressional leaders, to make them feel powerful and included, perhaps not), and stuck with it. At the very least, he should have articulated three or four non-negotiable key principles that he demanded from any healthcare legislation. These should have revolved around ideas that are simple to grasp and clearly beneficial to non-elite Americans. He should have sold that plan at big staged events, such as televised addresses to both houses of Congress – rather than these pathetic press conferences he keeps giving, where the press can ask any question they want, and where an unscripted Professor Wonk rambles out ten minute answers, chock full of pauses and clauses, guaranteed to anesthetize his audience or divert their attention entirely, to another subject altogether (can you say “Henry Lewis Gates”?).

He should have named enemies, right from the beginning. He should have warned Americans about what these people would do in the ensuing weeks and months. And he should have called them out on it, angrily and by name, when they in fact did it. When they started lying and frightening senior citizens in order to protect their legalized scams from reform, he should have slugged them so hard they were knocked on their fat corporate asses, never to rise again. He should’ve called them greedy, selfish, treasonous traitors who are willing to lie and steal to further enrich their bloated selves, while tens of thousands of Americans die every year from lack of medical care.

Above all, what Obama should have done was shown some passion. The unflappable conciliatory professor act has got to go. Here’s a newsflash (evidently) for the Obama White House: If the president has any desire to sell his policies, he’s got to sell his policies. If he wants to lead, he has to lead. And if he wants our support, he’s got to tell us why this is important. With juice. Mr. Folksy isn’t getting it – not by a long shot.

Finally, Obama should’ve jammed his plan down the throats of Congress, where – though you’d never know it – his party commands massive and filibuster-proof majorities. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t think the nineteenth century model of the presidency is particularly appropriate here in the twenty-first. We got Social Security and the rest of the New Deal programs because Franklin Roosevelt twisted arms on Capitol Hill. We got Medicare and Medicaid and civil rights because Lyndon Johnson nearly pulled those arms out of their sockets, jamming his bills through a reluctant Congress by means of big carrots, bigger sticks, and razor-sharp strategy.

What did Millard Fillmore get? James Buchanan? If you can’t remember, don’t worry – it doesn’t mean that you’re deficient as a student of American history. It just means that they didn’t get anything worth remembering. Why is it that, in our time, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush get everything they want from Congress, while Bill Clinton and Barack Obama – even after they’ve completely sold out to Wall Street, and even when they have massive majorities in Congress – wind up as if they’re the main source of entertainment for the fellas on Cell Block D? Neither FDR nor Harry Truman nor Lyndon Johnson would recognize the Democratic Party anymore. Unless they inadvertently mistook it for a squashed bug in the foyer of the GOP’s headquarters.

Having lived through the incredibly dismal Clinton era, I’m not exactly surprised to have another Democratic president whose only real constituents can be found in corporate boardrooms. I am, however, shocked to have one who seemingly learned nothing from the experience of the Clinton years, who appears to be even more conciliatory than the foolish “Please sir, may I have another?” Clinton himself was, and who apparently lacks any real instinct even for political self-preservation.

So I have to ask: Hey, Barack. How’s this working out for you? In eight months time you’ve squandered a massive and historic opportunity. You’ve resuscitated a murderously evil political party that, with a little shove in the right direction, might instead have been buried dead forever. You’ve let just about anybody say just about anything regarding you and your policies, without consequence. People are running around claiming that you’re gonna kill grannies, and millions believe them. You’re being pilloried for the bogus failures of the British healthcare system, and your mealy-mouthed-room-temperature-yesterday’s-leftover-oatmeal proposal – such that you even have one – doesn’t even bear the slightest resemblance to the NHS.

You’ve produced nothing of consequence in your Hundred Days, nor even in two hundred. Historians will not mention you in the same breath as FDR, but rather right alongside the wondrous Mr. Fillmore. You’ve responded to epic crises with half-measures that have produced quarter-results. In the short period of your presidency, your job approval ratings have fallen from the high sixties to the low fifties. In addition to those numbers beginning to look a lot like the guy with a cane walking onto your stage, they represent twice the drop an idiot named George W. Bush sustained during his first eight months in office. Maybe because he accomplished far more in that time. Far more (horrid though it was), as a matter of fact, than you are likely to do in four years, at the rate you’re going. Far more, even with a split Congress. How about that, Brother Barack? You’re getting your ass kicked by the worst president in all of American history.

So, dude, how’s this working out for you?

For me? Not so good. I was hoping for something else. Know what I mean?

I will say, however, that you seem to be a very, very nice young man. Yes, yes – very nice indeed. Definitely.

So much so that I give you my word: If I ever want someone for my president who is so nice that he even lets vicious political savages tear him to shreds while they’re wrecking the country at the same time...

I promise that you’ll have my vote.

David Michael Green: Ladies and Gentlemen, Barack Obama... Giving Us the Worst of All Worlds

All it takes is for President Barak Hussien Obama to succeed on one issue, and he has done better than than the previous administration.
And by the way, thanks for making my earlier point for me, from that post you quoted but didn't read.

You have perfectly summed up the mindset of the Congressional leadership: It's not about what's good for the country, it's not about if we get re-elected or not, it's about Obama "succeeding."

And they WILL fall on their swords to see to that, if necessary.

Fuck the Republicans. The Dems should just ram it through and be done with it.
I believe they will. But in the meantime, wouldn't you like to see them drop the dishonesty of the "republicans killing health care" mantra? Because the repugs can't kill anything.

Why you would want this horribly flawed, horrendously intrusive and massively expensive program however, is another topic totally.

The Republicans don't have shit. The fact that they have killed healthcare reform for years, and did NOTHING during their tenure says it all.

Screw 'em.

At the first sign the right wasn't going to discuss this issue from a point of reality, the Dems should have kicked them to the curb.

This is how it should have gone down:

"Ok, Republicans. We're going to reform health care and this is our proposal. What are yours?"

"You're going to form death panels! Killing grandma! Mandatory end-of-life sessions!"

"Ok then. Fuck you all. We're doing it our way. Have fun being irrelevant."

Fuck the Republicans. The Dems should just ram it through and be done with it.
I believe they will. But in the meantime, wouldn't you like to see them drop the dishonesty of the "republicans killing health care" mantra? Because the repugs can't kill anything.

Why you would want this horribly flawed, horrendously intrusive and massively expensive program however, is another topic totally.

The Republicans don't have shit. The fact that they have killed healthcare reform for years, and did NOTHING during their tenure says it all.
Who killed health care reform in 2003?

The Dems! Remember Pelosi, when asked if the Dems had an alternative plan? She said, "Why should we put out a plan? Our plan is to stop HIM (Bush)" Where was the urgency to "fix health care" six years ago?

And if we need it NOW, like it's some "crisis" or "emergency" Emma, how come none of these reforms goes into effect for OVER A YEAR after they are signed into law? Some of them, not for 2 or 3 years after? Where's the urgency?

You're simply not thinking, again.

You expect this sort of overhaul to take effect immediately? Seriously?

I'm about done with it anyway. There's an ever-growing part of me that hopes and prays the right gets exactly what they want; that we just keep the status quo and keep padding the pockets of multi-billion dollar insurance and pharm---and then down the line, when our economy implodes as healthcare spending continues to spiral out of control, I can sit back and laugh at those idiots.

I'm about done with it anyway. There's an ever-growing part of me that hopes and prays the right gets exactly what they want; that we just keep the status quo and keep padding the pockets of multi-billion dollar insurance and pharm---and then down the line, when our economy implodes as healthcare spending continues to spiral out of control, I can sit back and laugh at those idiots.
It's set up to not take effect until the people who are behind it are safely out of office or otherwise unaccountable for its inevitable crash and burn.

It's the demopublicratican way.

Obama's a pussy. He is torn between his true friends like J Wright and ACORN, and maintaining the creepy cult of personality among members of the broader population who think he is the messiah. So he's always looking for the least offensive path of resistance to get his agenda through. In the process, he's become an ineffective tool for Pelosi, Reid, Boehner, and McConnell to manipulate.

Apparently the Dem leadership does, it's such a crisis and emergency and all.
I'm about done with it anyway. There's an ever-growing part of me that hopes and prays the right gets exactly what they want; that we just keep the status quo and keep padding the pockets of multi-billion dollar insurance and pharm---
~yawn~

NO ONE is against health care reform! They are simply against THIS overly intrusive, massively expensive, control-freak BURDEN on the folks!

Why are you not upset at the special interests such as trial lawyers who get NO checks at all in any of these bills put forth? Malpractice reform should be part of ANY health care reform! These trial lawyers making BILLIONS off of mostly frivolous lawsuits cause defensive medicine, which FEEDS "big pharm" AND the insurance companies, who get to charge ASTRONOMICAL rates to doctors! AND it drives up costs unnecessarily.

Zealots say to this, "Well, malpractice costs are only 2%" like that's small? What the fuck do you think 2% of 1/6th of our economy is, peanuts?

For this deal, they need ALL revenue and savings they can generate, but they're sneezing at 2% of 1/6th of our economy? SNEEZING at HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of savings?

C'mon now, if you think special interests aren't driving this on the Dem side, you're clueless.

And I know you better than that.

Even some rabid libs that I know want him to shut his hole. :lol:

He can't. he loves hearing himself speak. He's bought into his own crap.

Obama gives himself the Matthews' tingle. :lol:

Hey dingbat that is even older than me, the last administration had eight years of nothing but failure and incompetance. All it takes is for President Barak Hussien Obama to succeed on one issue, and he has done better than than the previous administration.
All together now...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!

Dingbat, the comparisons are valid. Look at the economic situation in the Clinton administration versas the Bush administration. You freikin Conservatives had your chance for eight years. You blew all of them. From Iraq to Katrina, you have nothing but failure on the record. So you want to dictate what goes down now? Shit, why should anyone with more than a two digit IQ give you the time of day?

Hey deuchebag. The economic woes seemed to coincide perfectly with the elections of the democtat majorities in the house and senate. :lol:

Nice job you tards did.

C'mon now, if you think special interests aren't driving this on the Dem side, you're clueless.

I especially like the recent teevee ads from AARP, going on and on about how "special interests" are trying to stop this stupid socialized medical services scam.

No, I really don't.
One huge benefit of Dems getting absolute power is, they and their sycophants are emboldened enough to actually occasionally be honest about what they truly are. AARP is a good example of that.

Apparently the Dem leadership does, it's such a crisis and emergency and all.
I'm about done with it anyway. There's an ever-growing part of me that hopes and prays the right gets exactly what they want; that we just keep the status quo and keep padding the pockets of multi-billion dollar insurance and pharm---
~yawn~

NO ONE is against health care reform! They are simply against THIS overly intrusive, massively expensive, control-freak BURDEN on the folks!

Why are you not upset at the special interests such as trial lawyers who get NO checks at all in any of these bills put forth? Malpractice reform should be part of ANY health care reform! These trial lawyers making BILLIONS off of mostly frivolous lawsuits cause defensive medicine, which FEEDS "big pharm" AND the insurance companies, who get to charge ASTRONOMICAL rates to doctors! AND it drives up costs unnecessarily.

Zealots say to this, "Well, malpractice costs are only 2%" like that's small? What the fuck do you think 2% of 1/6th of our economy is, peanuts?

For this deal, they need ALL revenue and savings they can generate, but they're sneezing at 2% of 1/6th of our economy? SNEEZING at HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of savings?

What did the Republicans do to *fix* this problem when they had control?

And tort reform is a state issue, not Federal.

Obama is doing well and improving by the minute. History shows us successful Democratic Presidents are met with anger from right wing extremists. Happens every time!

History shows us successful Democratic Presidents are met with anger from right wing extremists.

You're right, except Dem senators like Kent Conrad, Mary Landrieu, or Blanche Lincoln are hardly "right wing extremists". You think FDR had this much trouble getting the New Deal through his own party?

So based on what I would say is your correct assessment, Obama is an unsuccessful Democratic President.

You think FDR had this much trouble getting the New Deal through his own party?
FDR had a lot more opposition from Democrats than Obama has had so far. Of course FDR's New Deal was a lot more ambitious and far-reaching so it stands to reason.

What did the Republicans do to *fix* this problem when they had control?
First of all I know you're far too intelligent to be comparing THIS Dem majority with the very WEAK majority the GOP had. The GOP of the Booosh era could do NOTHING without large Dem support. THIS Congress needs NO GOP support at all for anything they want to do.

In 2003 the GOP proposed a comprehensive health care reform bill, and the Dems soundly defeated it. They LIED saying the GOP proposal would "gut medicare" and now what do you have? DEMS now definitely wanting to cut medicare!

The GOP plan did NOT have any cuts to medicare in it, and it wasn't even mentioned or even sniffed around the edges of. And yet there were still wails of "Republicans hate old people! They wanna GUT medicare!!!"
And tort reform is a state issue, not Federal.
Actually so is insurance regulations. But you want to cherry-pick your states issues, I understand. Ones that work for the Dem agenda can become federal issues at the snap of a finger!

See how dishonest and bereft of logic you've had to become to be part of this cult?

Last edited:
Obama is doing well and improving by the minute. History shows us successful Democratic Presidents are met with anger from right wing extremists. Happens every time!
You have got to be one of the most idiotic sock puppet parrots to come down the pike in quite awhile.

What part of, the Dems need NO GOP votes or support of any kind for anything they want to do do you not understand?

It's DEMS causing the problems with this. not the bedeviled, boogieman "right wing extremists."

Forum List

Back