Uh oh, time to hate the French again

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
"Welcome to the club of states who don't turn their back on the sick and the poor" French President Nicolas Sarkozy

"Welcome to the club of states who don't turn their back on the sick and the poor" French President Nicolas Sarkozy

It was an uncalled for comment if he actually said it.

Is he trying to stir up anger from Americans toward the French?

Likewise, did he forget how we did not turn our backs on Europe at the cost of tens of thousands of American lives?

Did he forget that we, as a people, put more money into the natural disasters reliefs than all other countries combined?

And I am not referring to government releif. I am referring to individuals who made private donations.

He really needs to keep his personal sentiments to himself. It was uncalled for.

In order to hate them again, wouldn't i have had to stop hating them first?

In other words i still hate the fucking French.

Likewise, did he forget how we did not turn our backs on Europe at the cost of tens of thousands of American lives?

Did he forget that we, as a people, put more money into the natural disasters reliefs than all other countries combined?

And I am not referring to government releif. I am referring to individuals who made private donations.

He really needs to keep his personal sentiments to himself. It was uncalled for.

Generally, Europe tends to look on us as their 'badly behaved relation'. In the UK, people call me their 'colonial cousin', funnily, none of them are prepared to do DNA tests to prove kinship. They're an arrogant bunch. But... they get seriously pissy when you remind them that having a history is not as important as having a future. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Generally, Europe tends to look on us as their 'badly behaved relation'. In the UK, people call me their 'colonial cousin', funnily, none of them are prepared to do DNA tests to prove kinship. They're an arrogant bunch. But... they get seriously pissy when you remind them that having a history is not as important as having a future. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have been called "a silly American" one too many times in my life by those I know and interact with from and still in England.

My response?

You guys wore bright red coats and stood side by side in an open field and went home wondering how you lost the war. And you call Americans silly?

Try it. It will shut them up real quick.

I don't think anyone took the comment seriously, but I apprciate your post.

Here, let me add a little more to it:
"We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."

https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

The simple, if forgotten, explanation is that the more religious a country, the greater the charity inclination.

For purposes of comparison:

"Compared to Americans, however, Canadians are far less generous:
At the national level, the United States surpasses Canada with 26.6 percent of U.S. tax filers donating to charity compared to 24.0 percent of Canadian tax filers.
Further, Americans gave 1.60 percent of their aggregate personal income to charity, more than double the 0.73 percent that Canadians donated to charity.
"In Canada, this generosity gap limits the power and potential of charities to improve the quality of life across the country," says Veldhuis."
Source: News Release, "Manitoba continues reign as most generous province but Americans are far more generous than Canadians," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009; based upon: Niels Veldhuis, Charles Lammam and Alex Gainer, "Generosity in Canada and the United States: The 2009 Generosity Index," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009.

Wasn't it the French all went on vacation a few summers ago, and left the ac turned off and thousands died from heat storke??? that's really really really really caring innit??

I don't think anyone took the comment seriously, but I apprciate your post.

Here, let me add a little more to it:
"We usually hear about charity in the media when there is a terrible disaster. For example, after Hurricane Katrina, we heard about the incredible outpouring of private generosity that amounted to $6 billion. What gets less attention is that Americans routinely give that much to charity every week. Last year Americans gave $300 billion to charity. To put this into perspective, that is almost twice what we spent on consumer electronics equipment—equipment including cell phones, iPods and DVD players. Americans gave three times as much to charity last year as we spent on gambling and ten times as much as we spent on professional sports. America is by far the most charitable country in the world. There is no other country that comes close."

https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2010&month=01

The simple, if forgotten, explanation is that the more religious a country, the greater the charity inclination.

For purposes of comparison:

"Compared to Americans, however, Canadians are far less generous:
At the national level, the United States surpasses Canada with 26.6 percent of U.S. tax filers donating to charity compared to 24.0 percent of Canadian tax filers.
Further, Americans gave 1.60 percent of their aggregate personal income to charity, more than double the 0.73 percent that Canadians donated to charity.
"In Canada, this generosity gap limits the power and potential of charities to improve the quality of life across the country," says Veldhuis."
Source: News Release, "Manitoba continues reign as most generous province but Americans are far more generous than Canadians," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009; based upon: Niels Veldhuis, Charles Lammam and Alex Gainer, "Generosity in Canada and the United States: The 2009 Generosity Index," Fraser Institute, December 14, 2009.

Thank you political chic. Very interesting and eye opening information.

Sadly, statistics like that do not count when others have a beef with America. But they sure as heck would count if it made us look like a selfish people.

Freedom Fries anyone?

Now how childish was that of our leaders.

I wonder if they renamed American Cheese over there when we invaded Iraq?

Is it time to roll out some of these:

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a
naval conference that included
Admirals from the U.S., English,
Canadian, Australian and French navies.

At a cocktail reception, he found
himself standing with a large group of
officer s that included personnel from
most of those countries. Everyone
was chatting away in English as they
sipped their drinks but a French
admiral suddenly complained that,
'whereas Europeans learn many
languages, Americans learn only
English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that
we always have to speak English in these
conferences rather than
speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American
Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the
Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans
arranged it so you wouldn't have
to speak German.'

Freedom Fries anyone?

Now how childish was that of our leaders.

I wonder if they renamed American Cheese over there when we invaded Iraq?

"Amrican do as they please cheese"

Best I can come up with. Trying to work as I navigate this forum.

How'd I do?

Forum List

Back