uh-oh ... pubs doing more sloppy vetting

Saying this will probably get me banned but the FACT is I posted a link.

It was not a "live link" but it was a link.

My mistake was in not knowing that the rule is "live" link.

I will now go and read that rule.

You will lose but there was no rule that one had to provide a LINK. Rather the rule was one must provide the copyright material. For example if I site an author I have to provide book, article or story name and author name.

It does no good to link to a closed site though and that does not meet the copy right requirements.

Saying this will probably get me banned but the FACT is I posted a link.

It was not a "live link" but it was a link.

My mistake was in not knowing that the rule is "live" link.

I will now go and read that rule.

You will lose but there was no rule that one had to provide a LINK. Rather the rule was one must provide the copyright material. For example if I site an author I have to provide book, article or story name and author name.

It does no good to link to a closed site though and that does not meet the copy right requirements.

Thanks. That's what I get too.

January:

Sold his Wells Fargo position (1K-15K) on January 14, 2008
Sold part of his Wachovia position (1K-15K) on January 22, 2008
Sold part of his JPMorganChase position (1K-15K) on January 22, 2008
Sold part of his Citigroup position (1K-15K) on January 22, 2008
Bought Goldman Sachs (1K-15K) on January 22, 2008

Edited. Next tim., Please provide a link.

Brad DeLong: Reflections on Paul Ryan's Transactions in Individual Bank Stocks in 2008
a typical washington insider. that looks troubling to say the least

The Huffington Post, known for being the largest cut and paste racket on the net, cite the Richmonder story as their source. So did Matthew Yglesias who is among the first to start posting retractions on that same lead. Can I expect yours to be the next?

Paul Ryan's Bank Stock Trading

Let me apologize. I originally had a too-credulous item here linking to a piece at The Richmonder alleging that Paul Ryan has sold bank shares after a closed door meeting with Henry Paulson and Ben Bernanke on the financial crisis in 2008. As Eric Platt explains he certainly seems to have sold the shares on the same day as the meeting, but the meeting happened in the evening by which time the markets would have been closed. One can perhaps construct a scenario by which the Richmonder's theory of the case holds up, but they don't have the goods and I shouldn't have passed their analysis on with no qualification and so little scrutiny of my own.

As Brad DeLong writes, for one reason or another Ryan did quite a lot of trading of individual bank stocks in 2008 so the timing of this particularly transaction isn't particularly noteworthy when put in that context. For posterity's sake the original item is below now in strikethrough.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back