uh oh ....our poor neighbors

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
our neigbhors..not the ones with the mexican dog...but the ones on the other side...have been surveying the property lines....odd we thought...so today i had to ask permission to dump some firewood on a shared right of way....plus talk to sean about not riding his motorcycle till we got all the wood cleared..we didnt want him coming out of the wood suddenly and getting hit..so in discussing the new survey...she reveals that part of their place is on her granddads land....and he is giving them more land to correct this....then she very shyly says...we think park of the garage is on your land....we know now the fence is not the property line but is 3 ft over on your property...something we knew already...so now what? me and her hubby have had trouble in the past....i have known her since she was maybe 7 yrs old...her granddad lives about a 1/2 mile down the road...but they are good people and dont complain about the dogs...much...poor thing she is trying so hard to get this all straight....so what would you have done at this point...do i insist they move the fence and corner of the garage...or do i laugh like hell and say...fuck 3 ft on the side of a fence line that no one is ever gonna use....

now understand that we pretty much cross properties to walk around behind the houses up the mountain...we just try to stay far up the mountain away from houses...that i can call her, her hubby or her grand dad for any help i might need....and we all plan to live together for the rest of our lives...o we are not talking 3 ft from our house....but a good ways from the house..they just fucked up thinking the property line and fence line were one and the same

guess what was said?

Fuck the 3 feet.

Though I think I would have just said, you know, let's just put an addendum somewhere that says when the fence and garage are kaput, we re-establish the correct property lines.

I have horses. 3 feet of pasture or room is 3 feet of room.

I wouldn't care about the 3 ft; it sounds like it isn't anything that is going to be used by anyone and doesn't really make a difference. AB's suggestion is great -- when they need replacement fix the problem then.

My brother's old house backed up to state property - nothing there but shrubs and mosquitoes. He had a shed put in but never bothered to find the property line. Township found out and made him move the shed. That sucked; hope he learned a lesson.

Our one neighbor is an anal geek. When we had our fence put in he was all over sniffing around making sure nothing was on his property. We had a fence company do it so there wouldn't be any problems. We even said to him hey, you're more than welcome to the extra couple of inches on your side. For some unknown reason he dislikes us and when he weed whacks his yard, he does all other fence lines (his house is surrounded by fence on 3 sides; all the neighbor's fencing not his) but ours. Some people are pricks.

our neigbhors..not the ones with the mexican dog...but the ones on the other side...have been surveying the property lines....odd we thought...so today i had to ask permission to dump some firewood on a shared right of way....plus talk to sean about not riding his motorcycle till we got all the wood cleared..we didnt want him coming out of the wood suddenly and getting hit..so in discussing the new survey...she reveals that part of their place is on her granddads land....and he is giving them more land to correct this....then she very shyly says...we think park of the garage is on your land....we know now the fence is not the property line but is 3 ft over on your property...something we knew already...so now what? me and her hubby have had trouble in the past....i have known her since she was maybe 7 yrs old...her granddad lives about a 1/2 mile down the road...but they are good people and dont complain about the dogs...much...poor thing she is trying so hard to get this all straight....so what would you have done at this point...do i insist they move the fence and corner of the garage...or do i laugh like hell and say...fuck 3 ft on the side of a fence line that no one is ever gonna use....

now understand that we pretty much cross properties to walk around behind the houses up the mountain...we just try to stay far up the mountain away from houses...that i can call her, her hubby or her grand dad for any help i might need....and we all plan to live together for the rest of our lives...o we are not talking 3 ft from our house....but a good ways from the house..they just fucked up thinking the property line and fence line were one and the same

guess what was said?

Probably something like "Hell, Damn, Fuck, all to Fucking Hell, Fucked Up 3 Feet, Damn House, Damn Fucking Fucked Up Fuck!"

now you must remember this means the upper part is also 3 ft over..belonging to grand dad....now my hubby and grand dad dont cotton to each other ....and this is not 3 ' x 10' this i more 3' x 200 '

i have no clue how much that is....ooo and it means the cherry tree is mine....o fuck them....the cherry tree is mine..heeheheheee

for some reason this is funny as hell to me....he (her hubby) must be shitting in his pants....he knows that i am nosey....so i know that he is having this done...and soon he will know wife has just fessed up...something i think he would have like to have not come up right now...grand dad dont like him much lol...grand dad dont like men at all....grand dad has hanged the phone up on my hubby with a "just go to hell" but to me...sweet as a button...breaking a cardinal rule of fueding..if hubby is fueding you are suppose to be fueding...o fuck that...

guess what was said?

I forget what it's called but some states have property laws that say if your neighbor uses part of your land and you don't contest it, after a certain number of years it becomes their land.

i would get it in writting that they aknowledge the fence and the garage are on your land....

it is called a perscriptive easment and the land could be quit claimed.....

you could charge them rent....

Looks like you have a cherry tree bones? And a bit of garage maybe? I'd probably forego the garage but keep the cherry tree.

Manu gave the best advice. You can always give them the portion where the garage sits.

for some reason this is funny as hell to me....he (her hubby) must be shitting in his pants....he knows that i am nosey....so i know that he is having this done...and soon he will know wife has just fessed up...something i think he would have like to have not come up right now...grand dad dont like him much lol...grand dad dont like men at all....grand dad has hanged the phone up on my hubby with a "just go to hell" but to me...sweet as a button...breaking a cardinal rule of fueding..if hubby is fueding you are suppose to be fueding...o fuck that...

Have we heard what the hell you did yet?
Or have you done anything?

Hey regarding the "fuck..."

As my (then 15 or so, lovely age let me tell you) son told me when I told him not say "fuck"...

'FUCK FUCK FUCKETY FUCK FUCK, FUCK!"

At about five thousand decibals.

Ok, I laughed.

guess what was said?

I forget what it's called but some states have property laws that say if your neighbor uses part of your land and you don't contest it, after a certain number of years it becomes their land.

"Squatter's rights".

If it was my garage, I'd move it. Not that I mean because it's you sb. It could be anyone, even a neighbor I got along with great. I'd move it. I wouldn't want anything of mine sitting on someone else's land. It gives them power over it, and I wouldn't expect them to just blow it off and let it remain without some sort of legal maneuvering. I think they should offer to either pay you rent for the use of your property, or offer to buy the three feet from you, or move the garage. One of the three.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight...you live out in the rural mountains...but yet so close to others that they accidentally built their garage on your property?

I had assumed that your property looked like this...

Little%20House%20side%20view%20with%20wagon%20BfW.jpg

but now I'm thinking that your mountain property looks like this...

hillsideSlums.jpg

guess what was said?
That's called an encroachment and if it's been there for a statutory period (15 years here), the owner of the encroaching structure (garage/fence) may assert a right to the effected land on the basis of adverse possession (called: title by prescription). If the owner of the garage/fence cannot claim adverse possission, you could strike up a deal to sell the propery effected by the encroachment (if you own it, otherwise the mortgage holder has to approve the deal) or bring action against said encroacher to have the fence removed on the grounds of trespass.

Check out your state's RE laws because they vary from state to state.

Last edited:
That's called an encroachment and if it's been there for a statutory period (15 years here), the owner of the encroaching structure (garage/fence) may assert a right to the effected land on the basis of adverse possession (called: title by prescription). If the owner of the garage/fence cannot claim adverse possission, you could strike up a deal to sell the propery effected by the encroachment (if you own it, otherwise the mortgage holder has to approve the deal) or bring action against said encroacher to have the fence removed on the grounds of trespass.

Check out your state's RE laws because they vary from state to state.

I always thought that with encroachment, the offending individual would have to move back 5 yards.

Forum List

Back