uh oh.... democrats going to stop BP from paying dividends??

I didn't worry about offshore drilling being driven off shore - I was addressing the financial market. Post #7:

Great. Sarbox has already drive a great deal of financial market activity out of the U.S. Let's do even more to drive business off shore.

BP's U.S. subs don't sell stock at all, moron.

BP plc stock is listed on the NYSE, as well as on the LSE.

Oh, Jeebus. It's like talking to a wall. You're just plain ignorant. It's like speaking French to a Hottentot.

your conversant seems to be thick as glacial ice? huh? :eusa_shhh:

Let's send him to the Arctic circle. That'll get rid of the disappearing ice shelf issue (if there is one).

No moron. BP plc does not sell shares of stock on NYSE; They sell ADR's and ADS's. It is nothing more than a method for americans to invest in foriegn based corps without having to go through currency conversions.

However, I do give you props for distorting the fact about an issue few people know about it; It's an improvement over your usual tactic of telling obvious lies.

An ADR represents foreign stock, moron. It's how BP is able to access the NYSE and the LSE. Your claim that they couldn't abandon the U.S. market is b'loney. They have access to the LSE. If the U.S. government drives their share price down (which won't be just the ADR, it will be the underlying stock in the FTSE), they have an incentive to take their business elsewhere.

Congrats on learning to use a search engine to find the definition.

Hey, here's a thought!

Since you all seem to think that "Government can't do anything" and "Government just needs to get out of the way", why don't you all get Exxon and Sunoco, etc, etc to lead a massive private effort to HELP?

Hmmm?

How come you all aren't getting the market to "take care of itself"?

Hmmm?

One would think that people with your ideology would be screaming at the oil industry to get off their asses and lend a hand...

...rather than assuming that the government you claim every day to be unable to do anything step in and clean up the mess the "free market" made.

No I don't think so. I would be calling on our Government to move their ass instead of applying red tape. Just as I am now.

We all know there will be plenty of time to point fingers and place blame. There is no time left to protect the beeches and wetlands.

Does placing blame somehow interfere with the effort to stop the destruction?

Somehow I think that the country can multi-task.

And we all know the right-wingers have been placing LOTS of blame while not actually doing much at all.

Take the folks on this board, for example. They're all bitching and moaning about Obama not doing enough to help, and THEY aren't doing squat except posting complaints on a posting board. Have any of them gone down to the Gulf to scrub beaches and wash birds?

Has Rush Limbaugh lifted even one of his fat little fingers to help?

Meanwhile Obama has diverted half the friggin' Navy to the effort, as well as most of his waking hours.

What does Rush or anyone on this board have to do with the federal Governments half assed response so far? Obama has had at least 2 golf outings during this "crises". And half the navy wouldn't do much good would it? Unless they were on shore cleaning up. Military ships for the most part don't skim oil very well.

An ADR represents foreign stock, moron.

Right, moron. An ADR *REPRESENTS* foriegn stock; ADRs are NOT stock.

Thanks for proving me right. The stocks of foriegn companies are not allowed to be sold in an american stock exchange.

It's how BP is able to access the NYSE and the LSE.

Right, they can't sell stock on an american exchange (like I said) so they don't sell stock on american exchanges (like I said); they sell ADR's and ADS's

Your claim that they couldn't abandon the U.S. market is b'loney.

Your claim that they will move their operations is baloney because as you just admitted, BP is ALREADY incorporated elsewhere and they cant move their gas stations and refineries
:clap2:

They have access to the LSE.

Right, so why would they move their share selling to the LSE when IT'S ALREADY THERE!!

If the U.S. government drives their share price down (which won't be just the ADR, it will be the underlying stock in the FTSE), they have an incentive to take their business elsewhere.

Elsewhere? They are ALREADY THERE!!!!

Even you admit they are not incorporated in the US. So how can the move their incorporation OUT of the US if they're not there to begin with?

Congrats on learning to use a search engine to find the definition.

ANd again, you demonstrate your inability to predict the past. I spent 20 years on Wall Street

ANd again, you demonstrate your inability to predict the past. I spent 20 years on Wall Street

Did you get a pension for all those years in the mail room?

What does Rush or anyone on this board have to do with the federal Governments half assed response so far? Obama has had at least 2 golf outings during this "crises".

Rush could have been telling the rest of the Oil industry that unless they did their part to clean up the mess, they would stop supporting their blockade of energy reform...

...Thus forcing them to lend a hand.

And half the navy wouldn't do much good would it? Unless they were on shore cleaning up. Military ships for the most part don't skim oil very well.

Think about what you just said.

Now, what resources do you think the government has that would be more effective?

Did you get a pension for all those years in the mail room?

BWAHAHA!!! You got busted for lying about BP selling shares of stock on an american exchange. You can't refute it, and your weak ego prevents you from admitting it.

So you dodge every question and point I made to make a childish personal attack - a sure sign of failure.

SO why don't you tell us how BP is going to re-incorporate in England when it's ALREADY incorporated there?

Or maybe you can tell us how BP is going to move its' gas station off shore?

What does Rush or anyone on this board have to do with the federal Governments half assed response so far? Obama has had at least 2 golf outings during this "crises".

Rush could have been telling the rest of the Oil industry that unless they did their part to clean up the mess, they would stop supporting their blockade of energy reform...

And half the navy wouldn't do much good would it? Unless they were on shore cleaning up. Military ships for the most part don't skim oil very well.

Now, what resources do you think the government has that would be more effective?

Engineers, officials to cut red tape, I don't know. I'm no expert at cleaning up oil in the ocean. But I do know that they have been about 10 times slower than the Federal response after Katrina. And this could make Katrina look like a spring shower before it's over.

Engineers, officials to cut red tape, I don't know. I'm no expert at cleaning up oil in the ocean. But I do know that they have been about 10 times slower than the Federal response after Katrina. And this could make Katrina look like a spring shower before it's over.

Exactly what did Obama not do that he should have?

Obama had the Coast Guard at the site of the explosion within three hours of the explosion. Three hours after Katrina hit NO, bush was playing his guitar.

Obama had the Coast Guard at the site of the explosion within three hours of the explosion. Three hours after Katrina hit NO, bush was playing his guitar.

Ask Governor Jindal about the Federal response.

Just who do you think BP hires to work in the gulf?

I see you're still worrying about the offshore drilling being driven offshore

PS - the answer is "Halliburton"

My comment had to do with the financial markets, which you apparently don't understand, btw.

SO offshore drilling is part of the financial markets? I sure don't understand that, but I'd just LOVE to hear you explain it. I could always use a chuckle

Oh my. Back to the beginning.

This thread is about preventing BP from paying dividends. Those are financial transactions. BP is a British plc. They are perfectly free to move their financial activity out of the U.S. Sarbox was kneejerk legislation enacted as a political response to Enron, which punishes companies who do not break the law. The net impact of this has been to reduce IPO activity and relocate financial activity to non-U.S. exchanges.

If you think the U.S. losing its primacy as a financial center is good for the country, then recheck your premise.

Now, for the employee base of BP in the Gulf: a great deal of them are Americans who live in the gulf region. The fishing industry has been virtually wiped out due to the oil spill. Let's complete devastate the region by wiping out the oil industry as well. That'd be real good. Gulf sourced oil fuels about 10% of the economic activity in the U.S. If you're lucky, perhaps the loss of it will decimate your job.

Ah yes. Wonderful trick there. Almost every source of income for those that live in the Gulf has now been destroyed by the Petroleum industry. So now they can pay half as much for people to work for them, where can they work?

I say eliminate all off shore drilling. Period. Tax oil produced and imported by at least $5 a barrel, and use the money to reimburse those whose livlihood has destroyed by BP. Then put together a bill to put money into R and D to replace petroleum with electricity for transportation. And build a new grid to pick up the alternative energy.

Ask Governor Jindal why he is asking for Federal Aid at all. Wasn't he against expansion of the Federal Government?

An active hurricane season. Do you think that those sand berms will do the least good?

What "Red Tape" do you think is getting in the way here exactly?

Do you think there's someone making sure that the guy who has the answer has to fill out 50 forms in triplicate first?

This is a fucking big-ass problem that requires some serious ingenuity to solve.

Do you think that we didn't reach the moon until 1969 because of "Red Tape"? I'm so sure that if only we didn't have those damn bureaucrats getting in the way, we would have been there in 1963!

Governor Jindal had one fucking idea about how to use a large portion of available federal resources to protect HIS shoreline, and his shoreline only.

Louisiana isn't the only place that's going to be affected here. The President of the United States has to worry about the entire country.

Alright, maybe Jindal was right about how the berms would have protected a small area of coastline. Wow, that just would have made everything better, wouldn't it???

Last edited:

Forum List

Back