Uh Oh, Al-Qaeda is strongest it's been since 9/11

You know very well the word was chosen carefully to portray the implication I as I stated. he word "frighten" could have been used but it would not have had the same implication. Alluding to the Nazis was also deliberate, IMO, because of the connotations.

As you so often point out, words have meanings; they also have certain implications (something you are also very aware of) and there is no dobt in my mind that in these two cases that the words were chosen carefully. The implications were chosen to pique the US public into sense of uneasiness if not moral outrage that US troops could do such things.

I think that Kerry was speaking extemporaneously and he likes to use big words. He is a self important windbag who never uses a two syllable word it a three or four syllable synonym is available...but I KNOW that he did not call Americans terrorists and I believe he did not MEAN to call them that.

I think that Kerry was speaking extemporaneously and he likes to use big words. He is a self important windbag who never uses a two syllable word it a three or four syllable synonym is available...but I KNOW that he did not call Americans terrorists and I believe he did not MEAN to call them that.

Sure he did

It is not the first time he insulted the troops - and it will not be the last

I know that RSR can often be a bit infuriating, but sometimes he will surprise you with something solid that you had not previously considered. He also can keep things lively on an otherwise slow day.

I am solidly pro-RSR - for the record. In fact, even though we disagree on almost everything, I for one am glad that he is here.

Yeah. He is entertaining. It as fascinating as watching a egocentric myopic child engage in intelligent debate.

Like your lie abot Delay on another htrad - you lie to try to make your point

Sen Turbin DID compare the troops to Nazi's

In remarks on the Senate floor late Tuesday, Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, read the report of an FBI agent who described treatment of prisoners at Gitmo, including one detainee being held in such cold temperatures that he shivered, another who was held in heat passing 100 degrees and one who was chained to the floor and forced to listen to loud rap music.

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," Durbin said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159748,00.html

Unless the newspaper lied, DeLay called Democrats traitors.

Yes, I admit that Durbin said that. My point is that one person’s comment, particularly after he apologized for it (or do you refuse to acknowledge that he apologized?), does not establish an official Democrat talking point.

Unless the newspaper lied, DeLay called Democrats traitors.

Yes, I admit that Durbin said that. My point is that one person’s comment, particularly after he apologized for it (or do you refuse to acknowledge that he apologized?), does not establish an official Democrat talking point.

It was the writers opinion in the lead - not Delay's words

RSR did not include the retraction. Durbin apologized for saying it. What a neat little omission.

When his statement was played all over talk radio (and ignored by the liberal media) he tried to spin it - then he said "he was sorry"

The point is HE SAID IT

When his statement was played all over talk radio (and ignored by the liberal media) he tried to spin it - then he said "he was sorry"

The point is HE SAID IT

Another point is that he apologized for saying it. Yeah! You acknowledge that he apologized!!!! There is hope for you yet. :clap2: :clap2:

RSR did not include the retraction. Durbin apologized for saying it. What a neat little omission.

[Caveat: In the following, I am referring to Durbin's intent, and acknowledge that the treatment he was describing would be relatively light mistreatment by Soviet or Nazi standards. Further, I apologize for being all preachy here.]

Provided what was in the FBI report was true, Durbin should not have apologized. He wasn't characterizing the US military, he was characterizing the activities that they were conducting through the acquiesence and direction, ultimately, of their civilian commanders. When an activity is wrong, it is wrong regardless of whether it is conducted by a German, Russian or American. [Although, clearly, the activities complained of are probably relatively light my Nazi standards].

It is only because of reactionaries like RSR who believe that a wrong is less wrong when committed by an American, that politicians are afraid to speak the truth about some of the terrible individual things Americans have done to other peoples (and occasionally to ourselves).

This is very important: I am not criticizing all US troops (of which my brother is one). I am not saying that the US compares in any meaningful way to Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia. What I am saying (and what I believe Durbin was clearly attempting to say) is that torture is wrong, whether committed by an American or a Soviet. The greatest patriots are the ones who force us to view ourselves as critically as we view others.

Also RSR - this is me talking, and others may not agree, so when you mischaracterize my words, remember to apply it only to me, not all "libs."

Provided what was in the FBI report was true, Durbin should not have apologized. He wasn't characterizing the US military, he was characterizing the activities that they were conducting through the acquiesence and direction, ultimately, of their civilian commanders. When an activity is wrong, it is wrong regardless of whether it is conducted by a German, Russian or American.

It is only because of reactionaries like RSR who believe that a wrong is less wrong when committed by an American, that politicians are afraid to speak the truth about some of the terrible individual things Americans have done to other peoples (and occasionally to ourselves).

This is very important: I am not criticizing all US troops (of which my brother is one). I am not saying that the US compares in any meaningful way to Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia. What I am saying (and what I believe Durbin was clearly attempting to say) is that torture is wrong, whether committed by an American or a Soviet. The greatest patriots are the ones who force us to view ourselves as critically as we view others.

Also RSR - this is me talking, and others may not agree, so when you mischaracterize my words, remember to apply it only to me, not all "libs."

If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," Durbin said.

He was talking about the troops - a direct slime and insult

Well we agree on Kerry. I never said he called US troops terrorists. I do think he implied it. Whether it was intentional or not....I guess only his speech writers really know.

Well we agree on Kerry. I never said he called US troops terrorists. I do think he implied it. Whether it was intentional or not....I guess only his speech writers really know.

As I said...I am fairly certain that his speech writers had nothing to do with that line...it was him speaking off the cuff.

ANd I know that you did not suggest that he called US troops terrorists, but RSR certainly repeatedly has and did.

As I said...I am fairly certain that his speech writers had nothing to do with that line...it was him speaking off the cuff.

ANd I know that you did not suggest that he called US troops terrorists, but RSR certainly repeatedly has and did.

I do so because he did

It not the first time Kerry intentionally insulted the troops

Remember this...........

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

Forum List

Back