ugh, what can we do about brainwashed college aged libs? in all honesty.

Discussion in 'Media' started by Liberty, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Some girl was spouting crap about how glenn beck sucks because he spreads conspiracy theories like fema camps and she heard it from a professor. Being college aged myself, I can't stand liberal professors (ill live with em though -.-) but it's like...what gives these people the right to spout straight up lies in attempt to brainwash the youth into believing falsehoods? I don't understand why the youth can't do their own research and formulate their own opinions. They just go by what they are told by others...I mean, a simple search will show that glenn beck had a whole show dedicated to debunking crazy conspiracy theories AND EVEN DEBUNKED FEMA CAMPS...

I can't reason with these people...all I can do is pray they are in the minority.

2. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,686
    Let's not be too hard on the college age set, as they have their hands full in the search for sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll to be searching for truth.

The sadness is that a decade or so later so many still believe the hype.

Who can blame the young for a belief in the (Marxist) concept of a utopia that must be built on the ashes of the current world. Add to the mix, the innervating sense of being wronged, being the supposed victim of capitalism and American ‘imperialism, flush with the moral indignation it invests!

Now for the good news. The very existence of spaces like the USMB suggest that LAS'ers (Long Attention Span'ers) are on the rise. And it seems that best sellers are longer, as are block-buster movies.

To me, that means that we can still hope for more thinking, for the once-young to "do their own research and formulate their own opinionans" and realize that the traditional truths of the Founders are superior to those of the juvenile 'progressive' one-worlders.

3. PubliusInfinitum

PubliusInfinitum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Well the problem you're suffering here, is that you're trying to apply reason to an unreasonable situation.

Leftists ARE Leftists because they lack the intellectual means to reason. Which is to say, that if they possessed the means to reason, they wouldn't be leftists... Thus trying to reason with one; believing that you can actually reason with a Leftist, will generate the same amount of frustration as believeing that you can actually teach origami to a jack-hammer; you can try, but you won't impress that jack-hammer; nor will you advance sound reason.

It is ALWAYS a mistake to try and convince a Leftist of anything; the intellectual means of the common Leftist is 10,000 miles wide... and just about as deep as their shadow. As PC noted above; the young one's have the potential to outgrow it; but the old Leftists... aren't worth the food it takes to sustain them; they're counter productive to the species on the whole and are to be ostricized and shoved WAY back in the cultural closet; out of site and where they can't infect others with the virulent intellectual disorder.

As a general rule, I prefer to simply berate and belittle their sorry asses; laugh at 'em... they're fools and they deserve absolutely NOTHING but ridicule...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,295
    Very few people think for themselves any more. They rely on others to tell them how they should feel about a particular subject or what their opinion should be. Just like a computer. Garbage in. Garbage out. Pretty much sums up any liberal I have ever known.

5. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    until President Jimmy Carter, now if that was not a dose of a cold bucket of water in the face I don't know what was.

Obama is worse, sometimes we need to have an extreme leftist as President so we know exactly what to watch out for in the future. There is hope, Americans are waking up and paying attention, that's why the extreme drop in the polls.:lol::lol:

6. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    Why assume that they're brainwashed? Perhaps they simply believe in their ideas as much as you believe in yours. Maybe some of them don't have all the facts on a given topic, but that's where I've found that simply opening up a dialogue goes a long way. Maybe you simply don't have all the facts on a given topic, and opening up that dialogue will give you a better understanding. If you don't agree with something somebody says then simply enter the discussion and challenge them, in a polite way of course. I've found that most political science professors are quite happy to find that their students are interested enough in a topic to hold a serious discussion about it, and I'd say that's probably true of a professor in any field.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,748
    My son considers himself a libertarian and is studying politics at CUA in D.C. He has been THROWN OUT of classes for conservative comments. The good news though is that he joined both the college Republicans (because the girls are gorgeous) and the college Dems (the girls are easy) lol They welcome his libertarian views. I think there's still hope for the young'ins.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    Well I'm a Libertarian and have never had any negative reactions to anything I've said, other than some people simply disagreeing. I'd have to say your sons experience is likely an isolated incident and not the norm.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,875
    Important to differentiate here, and make sure we recognize this broad brush generalization isn't really very accurate.

MOST of the Leftist leadership (academia) does not fit into your description. These are highly intelligent, reasoning people who have chosen to eschew logic, reason and their intellect. They are willingly dishonest and are using their intellect and reasoning abilities to keep the morbidly unintelligent and the overly emotional on the puppet strings.

Many of the leftist followers are as you have described, however, but most really are just using their emotions rather than their reasoning abilities, to decide things. They are intellectually sloppy and lazy, are highly intelligent, but for some reason don't want to actually USE this intelligence for anything resembling critical thought and analysis. They use it instead, to be good little puppets and parrots, defending The Obama and being apologists. There is a good percentage of these who also are dishonest however, even with themselves.

Never underestimate the intelligence and purposeful intent of the leftist leadership folks. They are not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,686
    You know, brother, that we are mostly on the same page, but here we need a modifier.

"Leftists ARE Leftists because they lack the intellectual means to reason."

There are thinking leftists. In fact, there are a number of varieties of leftists. It would be a mistake to paint the left with too broad a brush, so let me make clear that the left of which I speak has nothing to do with genuine liberals, such as Harry Truman, and Walter Reuether, and other Democrats who opposed totalitarianism.

It is the hard left, the radical left, and those who have succumbed to the siren song of these groups, either through ignorance or agreement. The left of today aligns more with tyranny in the Marxist belief that utopia will only be achieved through the destruction of democracy.

There are many, many more who you and I would consider leftists, but are so because they have been at the mercy of public school 'teachers,' and college and university professors, or have found it easier to nod and agree rather than do the reading and research necessary to resist.

We must give the other side of the argument, and do it without the venom- which is, after all, the province of the left- and hope that while they still mouth the bumper stickers and sound bytes, they do the right thing in the privacy of the voting booth.

Look at the testimony of Maple, and have faith.