UEFA (Euro-Soccer TV): Media Crusade?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The UEFA Champions League is an annual continental club football competition organised by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs. It is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in European football, played by the national league champion (and, for some nations, one or more runners-up) of each UEFA national association. The UEFA Champions League final is the most watched annual sporting event worldwide. The final of the 2012–13 tournament had the highest TV ratings to date, drawing 360 million television viewers (source of information: Wikipedia).

You can see UEFA games on American TV by ordering special ESPN and sports-channel packages through cable/satellite providers such as Comcast, Verizon, and Dish.

It's a great Saturday afternoon treat, if you're tired of American college football or basketball and want to see some of the highlights of European sports and take in the fun of European athletics fanfare, which has generated a nice history (e.g., Diego Maradona, Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid, etc.).

It would be interesting to see what our capitalism-oriented President (Donald Trump) thinks about paid access to 'international-culture exposure' in this modern age of 'media metaphysics.'

I'm a big fan of soccer, so I'm excited to see how sports-access on American TV (since I'm a U.S. citizen) will benefit 'foreign fanfare.'

====

TRUMP: There's some nice buzz surrounding European sports lately.
CARTER: That's thanks mostly to the fanfare surrounding the Olympics, the cricket World Cup, and UEFA.
TRUMP: The UEFA Champions League has become rather prominent.
CARTER: Yes, it provides great worldwide TV ratings.
TRUMP: A lot of soccer legends (I hear) had nice club careers (e.g., Cruyff, Baggio, Ronaldinho, etc.).
CARTER: When you see European 'stuff' on American TV, it's good for tourism and commerce.
TRUMP: It's good for education and culture-exposure too in this age of 'Planet Hollywood.'
CARTER: That's true, Mr. President, and it arguably has impact on NATO 'chatter.'
TRUMP: Maybe media is the new 'Christian Crusade.'
CARTER: Well-to-do Americans might find purchasing UEFA/Euro sports TV packages very rewarding.
TRUMP: Thank goodness we live in a country that promotes free-speech and intellectual freedoms.
CARTER: In nationalism-fascism states (e.g., Nazi Germany, Stalin Russia), 'patriotism' marred tourism.
TRUMP: Exposure to other cultures on American TV is vital to global democracy (and the free market).
CARTER: Maybe Marx was simply wrong...

====

UEFA Champions League (Wikipedia)

uefa2013.jpg

Forum List

Back