Ubuntu 12.04

iamwhatiseem, when you first tried 12.04 were you using 64 bit or 32 bit? I tried 64 bit a couple of times in the past and found it to be problamatic at best so I'm using 32 bit distros.

64 at first, then I also went back to 32 bit. 64 bit kept freezing up.

iamwhatiseem, when you first tried 12.04 were you using 64 bit or 32 bit? I tried 64 bit a couple of times in the past and found it to be problamatic at best so I'm using 32 bit distros.

So far so good. Unity isn't "clunky" any more but obviously has a sleight learning curve involved, but what unfamiliar endeavor doesn't. Downloaded and installed Compbiz and Ubuntu Tweak among others to play with, I'm actually starting to like it but then again Ubuntu was my first Linux distro........ Popped my cherry so to speak..... :lol:

So far so good. Unity isn't "clunky" any more but obviously has a sleight learning curve involved, but what unfamiliar endeavor doesn't. Downloaded and installed Compbiz and Ubuntu Tweak among others to play with, I'm actually starting to like it but then again Ubuntu was my first Linux distro........ Popped my cherry so to speak..... :lol:

I'll show my age here - my first *nix was DEC OSF/1, then it became Tru64 after DEC joined with IBM and H-PUX.
My first Linux was RedHat 5. It was a brilliant OS in comparison to any other Linux at the time. Also the first bonefide Linux with a gui that really worked (Oh God hope there are no SuSe or BSD fans here...I will here it about that comment)
After RH7 I switched careers away from IT management and didn't touch Linux for years.
Then I ran into Ubuntu - I just couldn't believe it that you could install it - and everything just worked. Previously - you had to hack for daaaayyyysss to get the old OS's to finally work with whatever hardware you had.

Forum List

Back